Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I agree. It’s not like I don’t want to give new guys a chance but from zero experience in gameplay design to lead for the most anticipated game in 2020 is pretty nuts.

Civ V says “Hello.”

I don’t know. My understanding is that they consider this a major franchise like the Witcher. Given the huge sales numbers (sure there were returns but I don’t think they are that many) they made a ton of money on the game. It may not end up being totally the game we thought we were going to get but I don’t think they are going to abandon it or write it off. Only time will tell for sure though.

I don’t think @Destarius is saying that. I’m sure CDPR won’t abandon it either. I think the comment that they won’t “pull a Hello Games” is more about the likelihood that CDPR won’t be able to revamp the game as much as Hello did No Man’s Sky. That game is substantially different and improved from its launch.

Yes, I apologise if that wasn’t clear; Hello Games did an incredible turnaround and not only did not abandon the NMS but continued supporting what was initially a huge launch PR disaster. It’s the most significant commitment I’ve seen that has continuously thrown out free content that would have been a paid DLC or even a sequel. I just don’t have believe CDP will achieve this, but I would be excited to be wrong.

Of course, CDPR was delivering major, free, post-release upgrades to their games back when No Man’s Sky was wearing short pants.

And none of those updates/upgrades made such a vast difference as seen in No Man’s Sky. What Hello Games added could easily be a sequel or two at this point.

I really liked the way CDPR released Enhanced Editions for free for all of their games, but the enhanced editions didn’t add things as much as it made tweaks and QoL fixes. What Hello Games did with NMS is at a whole different level… and, arguably, that’s what CDPR needs to do with Cyberpunk 2077 to rescue it.

To be fair, my recollection is the major patches for NMS didn’t come for many months after release. It is a little weird how long it’s taking CDPR to fix relatively simple stuff, but I’m willing to cut them a little slack given COVID and the hack.

True. And it might be that CDPR will do the same, in time. But it’s not something they have done before, and that was my point.

I’m not expecting them to do major overhauls of systems (at least not beyond what they did for combat in TW2). But I do hope and maybe expect them to pick up the pace on bug and QoL fixes

Sorry rhamorim, but this is such overblown nonsense. Cyberpunk needs shoring up framerate on lastgen, some extra polish for its streaming system and fixing of its not fully working perks. If they overhaul police and pedestrian AI, cool, but it’s not really needed to have a great experience with the game. But there is no huge stuff (like in NMS’s case, basebuilding or a freaking multiplayer) that they need to implement to “rescue” the game.

Personally, I just want to see it more polished and then get some nice storydriven expansions.

Not really, no. You can say that the game as is (with a few fixes and adjustments) is playable and enjoyable (as you’re proof of). No Man’s Sky at release was playable and enjoyable. I know, I played it and I enjoyed it.

But in both cases, there’s a huge difference between what the developers promised the game to be, and what it was on release. Hello Games’ effort after release (after initial fixes) was to turn the game into what they hyped it to be. And they did so after years of work. It remains to be seen if CDPR will do the same or not.

You enjoyed the game, we all know that. But CDPR promised a reactive world… and there’s none. They promised a breathing city in which citizens have goals and schedules, and there’s nothing of the sort. They promised a world in which body modification is paramount, and you can’t change your appearance after game creation. And so on and so forth. They overpromised and underdelivered. That is a fact.

Without a doubt. It’s still a pretty fun game, even given its limited ambition, if you have a powerful gaming PC to play it.

HL Alyx is 40% off

It can be yours for a mere 36 eddies

I worry about projects in the hands of people with 10+ years of experience. :p

Shit. My excuse is being on the smartphone,in a birthday party.

I will grant you the body modifications, would be nice if augmentations could be more extensive and appearance was changeable after the intro.

But come on, pedestrians having goals and schedules…yes, I love that NPCs in Kingdom Come have this, but expecting it in a modern city-based RPG…seems like a tall order, and I don’t really see much of a reason for it. CDP’s games are not simulationist, it’s generally not their design approach. Not in Witcher trilogy, nor here. I would prefer if they didn’t waste time on this and focused on what they are good at - stories.

Tall order or not, it’s something they promised and advertised… and that they didn’t deliver. Now, if they want to save their reputation, they need to own that somehow - by either delivering what they promised, or at the very least going above and beyond to try to do so.

And don’t think I don’t want them to get over this. I do. CDPR owns GOG and I love GOG and I’d hate to see it go if CDPR goes down. I want them to survive and thrive. But I’m under the impression that the way they deal with Cyberpunk in the near and far future will have a significant impact on that, for good or for ill.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with Cyberpunk and sunk over 90 hours into it. But it’s a long way off of what they implied the game would be.