Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

Even dumber is the fact that (I guess it’s not a spoiler) like half of sidequests start or conclude after the main story is concluded and you’re told to finish all your tasks. Story-wise this is the point where the hero has barely enough time to survive through the final mission, but all the silly (and fun!) quests come at this point. Such dissonance!

Horrible, horrible pacing and buildup for the ending. What a wasted opportunity. I went with letting Johnny take over and let V live at the end and the whole thing was such a slog to get through that I uninstalled the game afterwards instead of trying out the other endings.

Let’s hope they learned their lessons for Cyberpunk 2, because this game cannot be fixed.

The endings were uniformly unsatisfying, though you can make an argument that they all fit the narrative. I just don’t find the narrative all that compelling as a player.

I think the ending themselves are fine. I’ve played through the one where you basically go with the flow and try to save your life. And it was very… cyberpunk. Touching. Sincere.

But as I’ve said right before that ending I went through silly quests with reuniting the band of dudes who are supposed to be in their 70-80’s right now, I guess?.. It’s like the beginning and the end was written by a team of good competent writers but the rest was made by people who have no idea what cyberpunk is supposed to mean. It’s worse than Bethesda games in that regard.

I know you can say similar things about Withcer 3 but it somehow works. Perhaps because there’s a uniting force in the face of characters. CP2077 has Johnny but even he is not that well defined. His teen angst isn’t even articulated properly, he’s just angry at The Man. Plus CP2077 operates inside the world that is supposed to be very close to ours, so some stuff is harder to forgive.

I keep checking in on this thread as I stopped week one of play due to bugs. I’m sad to continue to see they really didn’t address the gameplay/questing it sounds like. Did they make enough off it they will even throw a DLC and possible patch in or have they moved on from it entirely?

Are fans modding it at all?

Fans?

It sold well to start, but that of course dropped quickly.

My guess is they’re working on a huge free update with tons of content and changes to essentially relaunch the game. They want CP2077 to have a long tail like the Witcher 3, with people still buying it and talking about it for years, and without a relaunch that will not happen.

If you can get it for like half price, it’s well worth it for what it is even at its current level of suckitude. I had fun with it, though my expectations were not high to begin with not having read much about it or frankly even being a fan of the Witcher stuff.

I had a great time and don’t feel cheated after paying full price. It’s a neat game, absolutely gorgeous, and runs well if you have a beefy PC. It just isn’t what the developers promised, nothing even close.

I’m hoping that this is the case. But it’s probably not true. We’ll see. If they’re going to do that though, I would put the new content in the game when they finally launch the Series/PS5 versions of the game.

Oh yes, without a doubt that’s the time to do it.

I thought this was pretty good game. In the pantheon of open world RPGs:

Witcher 3
Mass Effect Trilogy
Dragon Age
Dying Light
Assassin’s Creed (good ones)
Cyberpunk
ME: A

I wonder if Keanu being attached had a negative impact. If the story lines had to be more “smoothed” out? Limited mod access because you can’t have Keanu eating babies. If the time involved with dealing with the Hollywood apparatus (agents, final approval on content, etc) caused a problem? If CDPR had to change a significant amount of content when he came on the project? Based on the finished product and the time between when Keanu came in, the game could not have been fully written and he just looked at a final script and said yes.

Rambling, but that is what I think about when I think of this game. What it could have been if they didn’t get Keanu. Conversely, having Keanu in the game brought little to no additional enjoyment.

And it is worth mentioning that Witcher 1 and 2 both got major overhauls/relaunches. It’s definitely in CDPR’s DNA.

I agree, when they announced Keanu’s involvement it was a big red flag that many missed (including me).

If you’re allowing a wide enough genre for open world RPG for those can I add one for you to try if you haven’t already. I’m very late to the game with it but I’m about 3/4 through Horizon: Zero Dawn. It’s a fucking gorgeous game with a good story and a fun open-world blend of RPG/stealth/action that it is absolutely addictive.

Besides some of the ones you mentioned, it’s also new enough that it takes advantage of the newer card and monitor I picked up not long ago.

Agree with @Skipper. HZD is a great game. It’s been a while since I played it, but IIRC it does seem to fit similar genre to Cyberpunk. Open world, but with specific storyline missions that move the plot forward.

It’s like post-post-apocalyptic if that is even a thing. Where technology was the source of the fall so now it’s shunned with the exception of lingering AI bots (as beasts) and of course, the player taking advantage by bridging the old and new to be more powerful. I’d say it’s much less RPG than Cyberpunk, but IMHO and limited playtime with Cyberpunk, the combat in HZD is much, much better done.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is definitely on my radar. I actually have it for PS4 but stopped playing soon after the opening, but I plan to pick it up for PC now. I just cannot seem to get into games on Console the way I can on PC. I have a weird thing with not enjoying myself without an alt-tab option to look at other things, whether that is the game wiki, or Qt3 or 30 low carb recipes. I digress.

Dune takes place in this kind of setting.

I guess they are as well, but I’d be amazed if it was released in time for the Next Gen upgrades (unless they don’t publish those until well into next year)