Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

You know what else is satisfying? Legendary Contagion. Hoooooollllly shit.

No shit. I played female V with a katana for my 2nd playthrough and I don’t think I can go any other way now. Run run run, slice slice slice, die die die. Repeat.

Panam: Go in quiet!
Me with 100 max docs and 12 points in katana: “… “

“I was quiet! It was the guys I was stabbing making the noise.”

My own V is heavily into Quickhacks and mostly I find some security cameras to take over and then remove the guards via the TV.

Like Skyrim where I always end up with a stealth archer variant, in Cyberpunk, it is so darn hard not to end up as a contagion hacker. It’s truly easy mode, but gets really boring after a while. Especially as I find looting weapons one of the best parts of these games; the efficacy of quickhacks devalues firearms in a lot of ways.

I try to compensate for this by running gun builds or melee builds but I usually can’t resist using the quickhacks because the game pretty much begs you to. There are mods that force you to physically connect to an access point to use them, which sounds interesting, but I haven’t tried it.

The skill system does not help build diversity either. Tech is the big offender IMO; if you want the best versions of weapons you have to go deep into the Crafting tree, and once you have a bunch of points in Tech (which is useful in exploration too) you might as well go into Engineering and tech/smart weapons. But to really use those weapons effectively you need to go deep into Reflexes, and even Body if you shotguns or MGs are your thing. And if you want to go pistols, Cool is invaluable for the Ninja stuff. All of this end up being kind of a mess and you just throw up your hands and say screw it, I’m dumping points into Intelligence and hacking the shit out of things. It’s oh so much easier.

Of course, much of this is a matter of self-discipline but the game design is partly to blame. Because there are no consequences for much of anything beyond the main mission story beats, there are no real counterweights to any particular approach to the game, things that set up meaningful player decisions. Massacre every Maelstrom goon you come across? Makes no difference when dealing with other Maelstrom types. Wipe out the Tyger Claws wherever they may be? Neither your fixer or the Claws leadership knows or cares. Everyone is hostile to you anyhow, even if you are just walking by, even the cops. Gunfights with the cops will get you temporary heat, but that ends pretty soon and its back to normal.

The City is a great location but not a great place. There is no there, there, to rip off Stein. It has a lot going on, and I love roaming it, but there is nothing actually happening. I get the feeling that somewhere there is a design doc where the player allies with different factions and control of the city ebbs and flows with the fortunes of different gangs and all that. Sadly, none of that is in the actual game.

Yeah that’s how I felt when I said this game was a mile wide and an inch deep. Hopefully they make some sequels and put some depth into the factions, and also balance spell casting… I mean quick hacking.

I’m still enjoying it, though. The scripted story missions are great. The city is stunning. The voice acting is mostly good. I’m grateful we still get games like this without battle passes.

I think that was absolutely planned. At the very least one of the early preview videos mentioned how some areas of the city would be more dangerous for the player as the campaign progressed due to the player’s choices and how that would impact the factions. They even said that going into some areas at the wrong time could lead to unprovoked attacks, ambushes, and vehicle fights.

Yes, CDPR raised tons of hype about features they ultimately discarded. The main criticism of the game was its disastrous Xbone and PS4 release, of course, but they largely fixed that stuff. Their broken promises were not fixed.

Agreed. Still, by dint of the sheer quantity of stuff, and the admittedly high quality of the city architecture and physical design, the game is hella fun most of the time. My la-di-dah casual gamer side loves it; my critical side loathes it.

I really enjoyed CP2077, it’s a great game in its own right. It doesn’t even come close to the promises the developers made, but if you can see past that and don’t expect The Witcher 4 in Night City, you’ll enjoy the hell out of it. Some great quests and the best world building ever in a videogame, even if it’s largely noninteractive.

Yeah, even though there is a lot of Potemkin Village going on in the world, it is still extremely enjoyable as a sandbox.

The latest NVidia patch has broken the map screen in Cyberpunk. It nows shows as really washed out with a bright pink edge. You can still see the filter icons, but the underlying streets and districts are bleached out and invisible.

Rolling back to the older driver will fix the issue, or you can (hopefully) wait it out for the NVidia hotfix.

Hey there is a fix, easy to implement.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5400/~/cyberpunk-2077-may-display-artifacts-when-bringing-up-the-in-game-map-after

That worked, thanks!

I’ll probably just not update my drivers till the fix is incorporated, myself, unless the newest ones offer OMG AMAZEBALLS performance increases.

But here’s a question about the “jumpy legs.” – there are two separate leg augments on the menu at Viktor’s: one that gives you a double jump, and the other that gives you a charged jump. Both cost 30 grand. Is the double jump the one to get? If I get rich enough to drop the other thirty grand, do they stack somehow? In other words, could I charge jump then jump in mid-air and go higher than the OG double jump? Is it useful for getting at otherwise inaccessible entries to places?

Those drivers caused a black screen on my PC with a 3080, so beware. Had to reboot in safe mode, run DDU, and install the older version.

No stack, and double jump is the one. Not sure if the charged jump goes higher than both in a double, but the double for falling off things and using the second jump to avoid damage/death makes it the choice.

Thanks, and a poster on another forum informs me that there’s only one slot anyway.

And thanks, @stusser. I have a 3060 Ti and am not on the latest for the last week + per what appears in my system tray so I assume you’re referring to those. Even the ones I have installed are doing weird things, like if I don’t log into Windows quickly enough and the screen goes dark, it doesn’t wake up with a mouse click or whatever.

^ This. If you get practiced at the timing you can jump from a long way up and then trigger the second jump when you’re close to the ground and get a nice soft landing.

On the subject of which, I just double-jumped into the fancy Arasaka mansion, blinded people so I could sneak inside and then wandered around looting the place while all the guards murdered each other due to CyberPsychosis.

Now whenever I go back there there are random civvies standing around the grounds in high viz jackets, drinking coffee.

I presume the story is going to bring me back here at some point. Does anyone know if it also refresh the guards when that happens?

The charged jump goes higher than the double jump, and it has some passive safe fall ability. I found it trickier to use than double jump though, so I went with double jump.