Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I stand by my position :)

Not in the literal sense, but in the ‘dev I have interest in, and pushing the industry storytelling forward’ Sense

I’d actually say Rockstar is more likely than CDPR. I even think they’ve been reasonably successful several times (GTAV and RDR2 at least), but are often burdened with a kind of internal incoherence where any particular theme is buried under a host of contradictory other themes. What Rockstar does really well though, I think, is use humor and irony as a way to explore fraught issues.

Your opinion is your own business, but you’re being pretty cavalier with your word choice there, cowboy.

To each their own I suppose.

Generally I find the cynical nihilism to be… well any serious commentary is either buried or actively undercut by the more forwardly juvenile aspects. Can’t speak for RDR though, haven’t played those ones. But I’ve played most GTA games since 3, and just can’t do them anymore.

Well I still think the best Mass Effect game is ME1, though the characters from 2 are the best. What can I say, the world building and narrative of that game was special, and further games progressively got worse at that.

But since I’ve planted my flag with ME1 as my favorite, clearly my opinion is suspect! Also I hate shooters in general, and looter shooters more specifically, so Anthem was clearly a personal attack on me as a fan of older BioWare. It’s the only answer that makes sense.

Not with me, I’ve always loved the first game best. But that’s a topic for another thread.

But that’s a detour into crazy town, and I can’t follow. Also probably a topic for another thread.

Anyhow about that Keanu, huh guys?

Tongue firmly in cheek.

I mean it didn’t move the needle on my hype level, but that’s because narrative focused cyberpunk is so thoroughly my jam that my needle was already as hyped as it goes.

Which since I barely play games these days, and don’t over invest in hype anyhow, is about a 3.5. Which given that nothing outside of Paradox goes higher than a 4 is pretty good!

Are we sure this isn’t just euphemism?

To be serious though, I have high hopes. Witcher 3 had some great relationship stuff in it, where with something like Dragon Age it was just embarrassingly bad. I remember with Morrigan it was like,

1. say nice thing
  2. say nice thing
  3. give tchotchke
  4. sexing
  5. “I love you so much P1”

It’s been a while but that’s how I remember it. :D

Apologies in advance if I’m misremembering and misrepresenting.

What, that’s not how relationships normally work?

Man I thought I just got lucky. Guess the wife isn’t as special as I thought.

Romance isn’t really realized well in any game. It’s such a complex social behavior that it’s hard to gamify it. Check out Lynnea Glasser’s Creatures Such As We for an attempt at a meta-narrative about this within a game.

Well fuck me sideways then, i had to learn and understand hegelian dialectics before my wife even let me near her panties!

I mean, depending on how much linearity you want to tolerate, a romance in the form of a bunch of dialogue trees could I suppose be as well-written as if a talented novelist wrote X versions of a relationship between characters.

If that were done, it wouldn’t interest me all that much because it’s not much to do with game systems and I can read novels any time I want to. But hey, good writing certainly doesn’t hurt a CRPG, and occasionally helps it transcend other weaknesses (e.g. Vampire Bloodlines). As always it’s largely about where you allocate your resources.

I hope it was for the purposes of better understanding Kierkegaard, otherwise what a waste of time!

Does qt3 even have a philosophy thread?

Do we need one? Don’t we have all of qt3 for that :D (I mean, there’s people discussing fucking christian theology in the 2020 elections thread!)

New screenshots: https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1139246759023128576

Yep

Interview with M. Pondsmith

I thought the part where he explains what they are doing to gap between 2020 and 2077, and what are the themes for each was pretty interesting.

I thought the part where he cites Hardwired as the inspiration was amazing. I second his recommendation to read that book if you haven’t already.