Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

People who don’t appreciate Witcher 3 are objectively bad people.

How did this become the YA thread all of a sudden? Stop getting me excited for awesome news and then disappoint.

You realize I said I love the writing in the game, don’t you?

Yes, in that “I’m just saying…” way that people online typically preface their most wildly implausible hot takes…

I wasn’t actually making that statement towards you or anyone. It was meant as tongue in cheek.

Nah, it’s one of my favorite games

facepalm

You’re right of course. Compared to regular game writing…

What about compared to “Perdido Street Station”, or “Almost Famous?”

I’m in the Y/A camp here… which is good! Y/A is good!

Looking forward to some evolution there and don’t expect it will be with Cyberpunk.

Do people actually like that book?

Not sure. Seemed reasonably literary while fitting in the genre. I’m reading it now, and can attest that the writing is complex. I think I like it. Sort of Gormenghast.

You could plug in so many books in my examples above. Just what was at the top of my mind.

Fair. I tried reading it because so many people were raving about Mieville at the time. It seemed overwrought to me.

At any rate, Peacedog is on the money where YA is concerned. The target market and who enjoys the books are different things. As another example, Harry Potter books are generally considered middle grade because of the age of the characters (certainly initially, and that’s where Barnes and Noble shelved them). The fact that MANY adults loved the books doesn’t change that.

I liked it. The Scar was better.

It’s one of my top 5 favorite books.

Awesome. I wish I’d liked it more.

I liked it, but mostly because of the worldbuilding. The first 2/3 of the book is page after page of crazy ideas, one after another. Then he realized he actually needed to buckle down and actually tell/finish the story, and it kind of fell apart. The Scar and Iron Council were similar.

That was my takeaway as well. I gave up on Iron Council pretty early on when it seemed clear it was headed in the same direction.

I’ve got Effinger’s Budayeen trilogy cued up for next year to get me in the mood for Cyberpunk…

By then, I knew what I was in for and enjoyed it for what it was. I loved Kraken from cover to cover, though.

Not familiar with that one.

William Gibson may have been the godfather of the cyberpunk ethos in the 1980s, but George Alec Effinger and especially the first book in the series, “When Gravity Fails”, are the real artistic pinnacle of it all, from a literary standpoint. It’s been about 20 years since I’ve read any of the three books (WGF is the best of the three and the first and works well enough as a standalone, but the same characters/setting are in two subsequent books which are also solid). But…my feeling at the time was “This is as close as this genre ever got to having the Raymond Chandler-like stylistic prose it deserved.”

Thanks. I should check it out, though I am just starting the first three books of the Expanse and time for pleasure reading has been terribly limited for me.