Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjekt's New Joint

I don’t want anymore screenshots. I want the game NOW!

Calm down there, JG Wentworth!

I swear to Barry I almost posted a youtube of that commercial.

A fellow man of culture, I see! :)

I can totally see it:

“If you need implants and you need them now…”

“J.G. Wentworth. 877-EYES-NOW”

There actually exist real people living in this world right now who would rather have it all be third-person.

Like me. What’s the point of playing an RPG if I can’t watch myself jump and trip over shit?

Like myself.

There are several reasons to prefer 3rd person. Like if a game has action melee gameplay like the Witcher, there’s very few ways to do that well in 1st person. Only Dark Messiah of Might and Magic managed it, and a few other rare games. Other reasons to prefer 3rd person is if you get motion sick in 1st person like Kojima does.

But the fans who prefer 3rd person get tons of games. For people who prefer 1st person RPGs, we get System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4, and not too much else. Spare a thought for your poor brothers! Don’t be too selfish you guys! :)

Ah ragdolls are the best

These were playable to some degree or another in 3rd person.

Maybe we could compromise and settle for a game utilizing a 2nd person perspective. It worked great in Super Mario 64’s Lakitu camera, and there’s no doubt a lot more potential to explore here.

I’d like to play as a random cyborg hanging out in cyberpunk world watching my character do all sorts of heroics. I am the star after all, everybody should be watching my every move.

I don’t know what my problem was but every time I tried to play 3rd person in Fallout 4 I face-planted into walls just walking around and had trouble interacting with things. I think it was definitely a ME problem, but it just felt so awkward.

The folks who have had the up-close demo in the room have remarked that once you see the game being played, you understand the 1st-person POV decision. Stuff like getting into cars and having close-up conversations, close hallways and rooms…it seems like it makes sense to not go with 3rd person in those cases.

Gameplay stream coming next week!

Next week we’re going to host a stream during which we’ll unveil a 15-minute edit of what we’ve been showing to journalists and gamers here at gamescom, and then interview devs from the studio for additional information on what you just saw. Expect a lot of insight into the thought process behind creative decisions, information about Pacifica—one of the districts of Night City—and TONS of stuff on playstyles you’ll be able to adopt when you launch Cyberpunk 2077 next year.

Yup. The perspective is one of the key reasons I’m interested in this game, absurd as that is. I enjoy first person games far more than third person (most of which I just bounce off).

I’ve never really understood the appeal of 3rd person in this kind of game. I don’t need to be staring at my own character for the entire game. He’s just taking up screen real estate.

It’s nice if you’re playing Mass Effect 2 and you have Miranda as a companion.

I used to be very wary of 3rd person games, but things like The Division series and AC: Odyssey swung me around quite a bit. I think it makes sense in many ways, though I still prefer in general 1st-person viewpoints. I really like it when games can blend the two, shifting into third-person for the melee stuff, say, and first-person for world exploration and shooting.

If it’s a melee game, I need third person all the way. For a shooter, I can take either. One thing I like about third person is it gives you a better sense of peripheral vision and your surroundings. First person games (if you’re not using VR, anyway) feel like you stuck a cardboard box on your head and cut out an opening to look through. It creates a more immersive experience, though, so depending on the game I may prefer it.

Yep, exactly why I prefer it. Any time I play a FPS I’m incredibly frustrated by the artificially limited field of view.