D&D 5th Edition

As requested over in the Christmas thread! Yes, I was the DM, and we ran the Tyranny of Dragons campaign (which is actually two put together, Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat). But it was also kinda homebrew, since I added a whole section involving the land of Murghôm, pitting our heroes against the sapphire dragon prince Domborcojh and allied with the gold dragon prince Chelnadatilar.

Technology-wise, we used Roll20 for the characters and maps. Originally I tried using it for video chat too, but it really didn’t work well for me, kept cutting out and generally failing. So I ended up setting up my own JITSI server and that worked great for the most part.

All the summary reports are in the campaign forums as linked in the other thread, starting with March and ending in December. We had a few folks join and drop out along the way, but four stuck it out the whole time: @Chappers, @Otthegreat, @JoshL, and JoshL’s elder daughter.

I actually ran the campaign three times, 'cause it was lockdown and what else are you gonna do with all that time? The QT3 group, my known-these-guys-for-20-years gaming buddies (recaps here), and a group of local folks that in normal times I’d be playing MTG and board games with (recaps here). There was a pretty significant difference between the three groups: my old buddies group was very much “rush in and kill all the things”, the local folks were more cautious and diplomatic, and the QT3 group favored stealth (that was mostly @Chappers) and lateral thinking (@JoshL’s daughter always had oddball ideas, and sometimes they worked). There was one spot where all three groups wiped, fighting a green dragon, so maybe I could have been a bit more free with the hints of how to handle that scenario. But it worked out since it let me Reincarnate them all into different races (and sometimes genders), one of the more interesting roleplaying bits. My favorite of these was when a dragonborn fighter was turned into a dwarf, but that caused her to lose some special dragonborn-specific abilities that she really liked, so later I added an extra reward from Chelnadatilar that turned her into a half-dragon, half-dwarf fighter.

It was all good fun, and I’m considering doing something similar in the new year, though probably not three at once again. Even if we don’t all get stuck inside for another year (we hope!), it’s nice to have a weekly chance to game away a few hours with good people.