Dallas Police Arrest Themselves for Stupidity

Wait, that’s that should have happened. Instead, they arrest a 9th-grader for making an electronic clock. Because in their tiny, tiny minds, it was probably a hoax bomb. Even though he told everyone that it was exactly what it was, a clock. Of course, that doesn’t matter, because “it looks like a movie bomb to me.”

America, land of the free, home of the brave!

Did I mention the kid’s name is Ahmed Mohamed? No profiling here.

So they are still thinking of charging this kid with making a hoax bomb? That’s crazy. So brown-skin + circuit board = bomb? Always!

The whole “if you see something, say something” deal gives everyone an out:

Teacher: I just called to see if they could come and take a look at this thing, I didn’t expect them to arrest the kid.
Cops: Someone called us and said they saw something suspicious, so we arrested the kid out of an abundance of caution.

You can carry a concealed handgun, but you can’t carry a concealed clock in Texas?

The police are saying that they have a very different story* from what’s being reported in the media. They claim they need parents’ permission to release it.

*No they don’t.

Yeah, the mentality of the police to shoot/arrest first and ask questions later makes them less of a useful community police force and more of a blunt paramilitary instrument. The school administration is also to blame, they should have been fighting the police tooth and nail not to arrest him. What we’ve taught him is that he can’t trust authority or his government. He seems like a level headed kid from what I’ve read but if he wasn’t - this is exactly how you make radicals with a chip on their shoulder.

Hey, give them a chance to make something up - it takes time to fabricate good BS

Imagine if the officers had body cameras! They could be refusing to release the footage as we speak!

Dude! Spoilers!

The Irving PD just released a pic of the “bomb”.

It looks like a clock to me.

The question is whether this is a race issue, a “zero tolerance in schools” issue , or both at once?

It’s a suitcase issue. Honestly, it’s hard to know why he built a clock out of a suitcase. That’s surely why his engineering teacher warned him not to show it around school. And, again, honestly, that’s a bit naive as well. Why show your English teacher the thing you built in Science class again? And now suddenly it’s SWAT time.

Because he’s a damn nerd and that’s what smart-as-hell nerds to before they have the sense not to build clocks out of suitcases.

The original report said it was in a pencil case. Have to believe that’s part of police evidence? I’m skeptical a student is going to walk around school with a suitcase and not be questioned by teachers.

Because… suitcases naturally contain bombs?
WTF

The original report said it was in a pencil case. Have to believe that’s part of police evidence? I’m skeptical a student is going to walk around school with a suitcase and not be questioned by teachers.

This isn’t a full size suitcase. It’s one of those little aluminum and plastic cases you can buy to put stuff in.

Yea, in popular imagination they do, even if it has no basis in reality. Ticking suitcase before boomtime is a staple of Hollywood films.

Ok, that makes more sense. Hard to tell without any explicit reference sizes in the picture.

Yeah, there’s a picture of the power plug, which is about an inch wide.

So the overall dimensions of the case are probably something like 8"x4"x2"

Why is it bent on the side? Why does the top cover look bigger than the bottom half of the case? Did they photoshop this to make it look bigger than it is?

I think it’s just a very close shot, so there are strong perspective effects. Like the classic movie shot where the gun barrel looks about 5 inches wide.

As others have noted, it isn’t a suitcase.

He showed it to his English teacher because it beeped during a quiet time in class, and the teacher asked him to see it.

Whoa, I hadn’t heard this.
Disruption of class? I support his arrest.