Daniel Day-Lewis Retiring from Acting

He did not give a reason for his retirement. In a statement, Day-Lewis’ spokeswoman, Leslee Dart, confirmed the news: “Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor. He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject. ”

He’ll be back in a year.

Another reason to highly anticipate PTA’s next movie ‘Phantom Thread’ coming at the end of this year.

Without new Phillip Seymour Hoffman and now Daniel Day Lewis movies to punctuate all the crap coming out, I don’t know what else to be excited for.

Why do some actors or musicians—or any artist not beholden to some expected schedule—feel the need to announce retirement?

Like, if a band breaks up in some big feud, that’s entertainment news. If an actor decides to leave a popular show in the middle of its run, that’s entertainment news. But otherwise, I have no expectations of an actor to let me know when their next movie will be their last, and in fact it feels just a little bit tacky.

Am I just being super weird about that?

I should clarify, DDL is awesome, this isn’t just about him.

He didn’t announce it. Looks like Variety got wind of it and looked into it, and his people confirmed it’s true.

Oh good catch. Then I still think it’s weird when artists do this (remember when the Foo Fighters were going to quit?), but this definitely isn’t that. Thanks for the correction.

In the case of bands, it could theoretically be helpful to let fans know to go catch their final tour or whatever, but all the bands who do final tours (e.g., Kiss) have done like 10 of them by this point, soooo. . .

In any case, I can thank DDL for being the only mote of enjoyment I managed to extract from There Will Be Blood, which is one of several interminably boring, pointless movies my gf has drug me out to see over the years :)

Is he gearing up for his run in 2020?

The guy did this apparently, from wikipedia:

Following The Boxer, Day-Lewis took a leave of absence from acting by going into “semi-retirement” and returning to his old passion of woodworking.[41] He moved to Florence, Italy, where he became intrigued by the craft of shoemaking, eventually apprenticing as a shoemaker with Stefano Bemer.[25] For a time his exact whereabouts and actions were not made publicly known.[43]

This sounds like a guy who can walk away from it, at least for awhile.

Give us a Last of the Mohicans sequel.

New Joaquin Phoenix movies?

Yeah, that was 20 years ago, when he was 40. And it basically took Scorsese to coax him back with Gangs of New York. Now he’s 60.

David Bowie and Frank Sinatra in the 1970s made “retiring” almost an annual event.

That being said, DDL sounds like he really is taking time off for a good while.

I remember seeing a woman interview Sean Connery about why he doesn’t act anymore. I paraphrase:

Her: “So, when can we expect your next movie?”
Sean Connery: “Never. I’m retired. I don’t act anymore.”
Her: “Really?”
Connery: “Really.”
Her: “Come on … really?”
Sean [looking irritated]: “Yes.”
Her: “But surely, we’ll see something!”
Sean: “No. Hollywood fucking sucks. It’s not creative, it’s not fun, and the people are horrible.”

She simply couldn’t believe that someone at his level of fame wouldn’t want to keep doing it. I can understand why these people make these kind of announcements … because if they don’t, they get hounded until they do.

Or we will learn he had a fatal disease.

2016 is over dude. No more tragedy!

I assume he’s just prepping for his landmark role as a retired actor.

Oh god damn it lol

Yeah, that is priceless Armando.