Daredevil (Netflix)

[spoilers=Stick Episode Weirdness]What was Black Sun? The little boy that frightened Stick so much? And Stick’s master / compatriot that he’s talking to was creepy. I have a strong sense of demonic possession or something of that ilk. Plus, there’s certainly lots of mention of the “war” which surely means The Hand.[/spoilers]

Stick Episode Weirdness

What was Black Sun? The little boy that frightened Stick so much? And Stick’s master / compatriot that he’s talking to was creepy. I have a strong sense of demonic possession or something of that ilk. Plus, there’s certainly lots of mention of the “war” which surely means The Hand.

Haven’t seen this yet, but your reviews have me excited - it sounds great to have a non-kiddie Marvel universe story.

Ain’t nothing kiddie about this show. Only seen the first two eps so far but it’s intense.

Still it’s funny, coming into this with almost no knowledge - I know he’s called the man with no fear, that he’s blind but has some kind of heightened extra sensory perception? Bat radar? I don’t know. But in my brain I always pigeonholed him with Spider-Man, because I know I have seen comic book covers depicting him swinging around rooftops, and those swirls around his head put me in mind of a spider sense. Really glad to be wrong on this one, way better than Agents of SHIELD.

This seems to take the original daredevil origin story, but then kind of everything else from the Frank Miller era daredevil (i.e. extremely violent, dark and complex stuff going down, etc).

It’s most definitely not Ben Afflec.

I watched the first episode was well. It’s a really well done show. I’m definitely hooked. I was confused as to what ‘event’ they kept referencing in the first episode, until I finally figured out it was probably the events in the movie ‘Avengers’.

Hah. I finally read Wholly’s spoiler tag (I didn’t before because they’re bugged on mobile forum view), and saw he made the same Oldboy connection I did. Sorry, man.

No problem, it’s really hardly a spoiler, I was just being overly cautious since it was starting the thread.

I’ve just finished the last episode. Non-spoiler impression: Is there a confirmed season 2 of this anywhere down the line? If so, it can’t get here fast enough. And Vincent D’Onofrio is the best thing to happen to Marvel since Tom Hiddleston. A couple random spoilery thoughts:

"

[spoiler]The only negative things I can say is that the first eight episodes are fantastic, but then the pace evens off for the second half of the season. It lays groundwork for things like The Hand, but ultimately none of that comes into play in this season. Once Fisk goes public, all the pieces are sort of in place and the second half is just about taking down Fisk. Which is fine, but I was kinda hoping we’d have Daredevil up to his ears in ninjas by the end of things, or maybe introduce Bullseye (I was pretty sure Elektra wasn’t going to show up). And also, that fight in episode two was probably the best action sequence in the whole season. Shame they never had anything quite that visceral later on.

I was surprised when Ben Urich died! Maybe that happens in the comics, but if so, it was more recently than I’ve kept track of, and I’ll miss him on the show. I also was hoping he’d play a role in the other upcoming Netflix series.[/spoiler]

Sonar is his thing, although I think the sonar angle is being played down in preference to more generalized super-hearing (which has already gotten him inside info he couldn’t have gotten without such special abilities).

Nice that he’s actually pretty “super” in this area; maybe he can develop and refine it into full-on sonar as a power, and that can be part of his arc. I think they took a leaf out of the book of the hyper-senses girl in Alphas, the way they’re treating his hyper-hearing.

Shout-out for the title sequence. The way his red figure, back turned, gradually appears, combined with the old skool Daredevil logo - very classy.

They define it more as sonar in the Affleck movie than they do the TV show; in the show, they refine this by a mix of all of his other senses extremely heightened, and how he “visualizes” things. It’s a bit of a difference.

I’m not sure how Marvel’s deal with Netflix accounts for renewals or additional seasons. The emphasis was on the four shows with a provisional Defenders concluding series, but hard to know how characters will carry over from one to the next (it appears that AKA Jessica Jones will have other characters down the road in the other shows), but hard to know if Murdock will be in the others (or if it’s even contractual). Or if Netflix wants to engage in that way, or if they’re attempting something different. It didn’t take long for Netflix to do extensions of other recent first-run shows (Marco Polo, Bloodline), however.

— Alan

Man, I REALLY wish tapatalk would get their act together and fix the spoilers not working…that was annoying to accidentally read.

Ouch that sucks. Might be better to skip this whole thread until you’ve watched it all, and if you want to make comments, might as well just skip the whole thing.

— Alan

Yeah - its just hard, but I agree :-)

Sorry man, I didn’t know the spoiler tag doesn’t work on the tapatalk thing.

Just finished episode 8.

This series has been a bit uneven. The dark/violent tone has been undermined by some fairly bland TV movie quality moments. Pretty much every scene w/ Leland for instance. That said, I really have such a soft spot for the character, and they’re getting so much right. Stick was great, portents of the Hand, possibly some Gladiator action. I hope there’s much more DD to come. Bullseye, Electra, Mr.Fear. Bring it on!

Finished it tonight; just really needed to do it. So much worth it. They left a lot of doors open, some a lot more obvious than others. Changed a few things around, which is fine. Definitely some surprises. I see where there’s the thought about another season, because there’s way too much stuff to indicate otherwise. I can’t see that level of follow-up being in another Netflix Marvel series down the road, they have their own plots to gestate (and Jessica Jones is supposedly more central plot-wise)…

In any event, heck yeah I liked it. There are some quibbles (I thought Leland is ok), and hopefully not spoiling too much by stating that I don’t really dig the final costume. D’onfrio definitely grew on me as Fisk, and when he starts getting into a fight… yikes.

— Alan

Just finished!

Loved it. As a Daredevil fan from when I was a kid, this scratched the itch perfectly. And although I don’t know what the future holds in terms of a second series, or whether or not it all gets subsumed in the other Netflix / Marvel shows coming out, I’d love to see some of the other classic Daredevil stories told. And if not, that’s fine too. The series is self-contained with some tantalizing threads for the future if need be… Like:

The Future?

[spoiler]First, what the hell was going on with Madame Gao? Something weird, that’s what. When she said she was going home to consider new options and Leland asked, “China?” she said, “Much further away than that.” And the fact that she basically slapped Daredevil away with a single blow. Is she Asgardian? Kree? Skrull? Something else (e.g., demonic)? I have no clue. But I hope we find out!

Then there’s all the stuff with Stick. I assume Nobu was part of the Hand clan, as his “clan” was brought up several times, and mention was made of his scary (to Fisk) Master. And there was the whole Black Sun kid. Him, I have no idea what to speculate about. Anyone have any guesses? And who was the bulky dude that Stick reported to at the end of his episode?

The final costume was OK, but I didn’t like the black bits. I hope the fact that Gladiator told him that the parts that were red had undergone “the treatment” means that eventually the whole costume will be red.

Finally, I can’t believe they killed Ben Urich. He was such a big part of Civil War. Will they have another Urich for the movies? Or just leave him out?[/spoiler]

Future speculation
"

[spoiler]I suspect Madame Gao has something to do with K’un Lun (one of the mystical capital cities of Heaven where Iron Fist was trained and got his power) or some other part of the Iron Fist’s corner of the universe, since that does tie into China, and the symbol on her drugs was the same as one of Iron Fists’s enemies, Steel Serpent. I don’t think she’s an existing character from those stories, although it’s totally possible I just missed her in some quick googling.

I also assume Stick was fighting the Hand, and that’s what Nobu was involved with. No idea what the Black Sky kid was either though, or who Stick reported to.[/spoiler]

It’s been a while since I binge-watched anything, but this weekend I can’t resist.

I watched the third episode. Definitely my favorite episode so far. I like how this show is taking its time and introducing new characters and situations slowly.

I have a bad feeling this is gonna ruin comic book Daredevil for me like the Captain America movies ruined that book. I’m only on episode 3, but I’m really impressed with the tone and story so far.

The only real flaw I’ve found so far is the silliness of the legal stuff. It’s not very believable that a case can be investigated and go to trial in a couple of days, even in the compacted timeline of comic book stories. Other than that, so far, my rather high expectations have been exceeded.