Dark Souls 1 - why is this not clicking?

I actually killed the guy, with the encouragement from qt3, but not because I was good, but because he fell off a cliff whilst trying to hit me. He rolled right off!

So to be clear: I didn’t really quit because it was hard (and it was, he killed me a lot), but because the game rules seemed to conflict with what was already established. (I.e. when you die monsters respawn and bosses get their health back, but this angry guy would always stay angry at me, but would not respawn?)

I didn’t understand the game rules so I gave up.

I’m suprised Tom likes the game given that manuals, lack of explanationsand, relying on wiki’s are often ha reason for him not to play a game!

Merchants don’t re-spawn. And if you attack them, along with any other NPC, they have really long memories. There is a way much later in the game to get them to “forgive” you and they will quit chasing you, but once dead, they are dead for good.

In Dark Souls 2 I know that before starting a NG+ game many “experts” tell you to go around killing NPCs to get their objects. The problem is that killing an NPC is considered a sin and too many sins will lead to you getting invaded by guys intent on avenging the NPCs. I don’t know if DS1 works that same way or not.

I hate this thread’s existence! I’ve tried three times to “get” Dark Souls 1. My last attempt was, in my opinion, more than generous, at least a half-dozen hours. I made it past the first boss, and had progressed well into battling some (what I thought to be) tough dudes, feeling all sorts of badassery upon my badass self. But, NAY! No, sir! I was wrong! My pimply, stinky ass was handed to me most unapologetically by all sorts of nasty, horrible, ugly, and downright mean dudes, hating on the progress I’d made, being all Gandalfy with their “You Shall Not Pass” shit, and generally preventing all fun. So, my walk-away decision for Dark Souls (1) was, no thank you.

Now, you all have to post this shit.

Dammit.

The other thing that makes it hard is there’s so much obscure crap and misdirection that will make you frustrated. You’re supposed to post on a forum about it and then we all get to make witty know-it-all comments.

For example, nogwart, you might have wandered into the wrong area or something.

I am in similar predicament. I tried to get into Dark Souls and failed miserably. Then I raged quit and tried again and this time I did quite well. At one point, I did quite well, even able to have a good melee with a few knights. I finally reached the dragon that looked like vagina (Epidragon or something like that) and I think I died like 30 times. I gave up after that especially when my friend discourage me to continue as he said the level after that, with those poisonous mosquitoes, is going to be worse. Now, I am not sure I want to get into the game, having forgotten all about the controls. This thread does motivate me to give it another go. And I will watch the video that @Rock8man posted, so hopefully that will energize me a bit more.

Oh, the Gaping Dragon! I forgot about that one.

Yeah the area after that kind of sucks. People, just play Dark Souls 2 or 3 if you want a change of pace!

Gaping Dragon! That’s it! I hate that boss (insert expletives here!!)

I think you’ve been looking at the wrong vaginas.

How can I miss this… this… attractive thing?

I am ready to attack New Londo Ruins… I know I need 2 hours of silence around me, without distraction… I haven’t found the time yet. So 4 weeks passed without progress… I had a drive, 2-3 hours a night, that was weeks ago… I hate to lose track like that…

Yea, you have to learn that with most bosses it swing once or twice, back off to build up stamina, go back in and swing once or twice…rinse and repeat.

Also with most bosses the safest place to be is right next to them.

Also don’t be stingy with those humanity. Pop one, go human, bring in help. No reason to have to bash your head on these games.