Dark Souls 3

I can’t believe just how huge the Cathedral area turned out to be that you guys sent me back to. And after I plunked away at the giant, I figured I was home free. Nope. I spent multiple hours last night in and around this giant Cathedral. It’s too big!

I love the sense of scale by the way. The giant chandeliers, the arches, the statues, and even the fact that the bottom floor is a swamp, which seems like a really From thing to do.

It’s a neat place, although I have to say its architecture doesn’t seem particularly well-suited to holding services.

Forgot to chronicle one of my more ignominious exploits from the other day. Hanging around as an Aldrich Faithful when I’m summoned into a world. See the tower moving, so I know they must be over there. Hotfoot it over and see them. They’re naked, so I give chase full tilt with my Exile Greatsword. They just run and roll away from every single one of my and the other enemies’ attacks, up the stairs, turn the crank, roll roll roll, I get not a single hit. They hit the bonfire and I make my move and bam, the first non-roll move they make they parry me as easily as a baby and riposte, then finish me off with a single thrust before I can recover. Masterful.

Also, too many of the cool weapons (especially greatswords) are quality weapons and uninfusable. Damn it.

This is one of those fights where you need to keep an eye on the boss because you need to see the magic shit being fired off or you have chance avoiding it. The camera can get you killed.

Damn straight. Because of the three phases estus management is very important. And other than her disappearing act I would say it is a very fair fight.

In either NG or NG+ I have beat every boss (except NK) in the base game solo at some time. But of the 5 main bosses in the DLC’s I have only beat 2 solo. One I have never beat even as a summoner or a summons.

Bosses that do a dancy little dart out of range after attacks so that even if you avoid taking damage it’s very hard to get a lick in yourself annoy me. I thought I was fighting a damn Bloodborne boss with her.

Bad sign. I figure anyone who can handle this game without armor of any kind has to be pretty bad ass. Being invaded by a guy like that (which hasn’t happened this run) is usually a sign that you will soon be dead.

But you can adjust to that. Like the Lothric Prince fight and the teleporting, you learn after awhile where to move to when they do it.

They’re obviously not impossible, but I still hate it.

Speaking of hate, wow, the Dreg Heap is such utter, complete bullshit. Not even the fact that they managed to combine my two least favorite things in the game, thralls (why do they keep showing up everywhere???) and poison swamps, but the angels, holy shit what a dumb, dumb idea. I got through that segment after many, many tries…do those things come back later in the level? Please say no. I actually can’t comprehend how anybody could do an SL1 run through there. Even running flat out I still sometimes got caught by beams. Even rolling I would not infrequently get caught out by the last beam. I discovered a (hidden!) dude that killing made a difference, but there must be others, and how the hell you’re supposed to find them when the world is coming down around your ears is beyond me. The whole thing just sticks out like a sore thumb and does not really feel like Souls to me.

The next area should remind you of someplace. You are watching the world crumble before you. As @Scott_Dobros mentioned above the lore is strong in this DLC. He was also probably right in that I think FROM wanted you to feel the pain since this would be the last bit of Dark Souls content.

Don’t give up on it though. Give it a try, and then ask questions if need be. My first time thru it took me forever to advance thru the next few areas.

Well, I was actually coming here to say, From’s contempt for all but its most annoying “git gud” fanbase aside, what even is this place? Is it a place? The mountains in the distance seem to suggest so, but architecturally, uh, it’s a bit of a mixed bag. I don’t really understand what it’s supposed to be. Can’t be after the flame has gone out, because Untended Graves was already that and it looked the same, only dark.

Ok i’ll bite, how in the holy hell do i get past all these lazer beams??? I can’t find a way through that area.

Haha, ain’t that some shit? Do you know which way to go? If so, then only god can help you because I’ll be damned if I know the trick. Like I said above, I often got hit running full tilt and even rolling. Just don’t do what did the first time and when you get where you’re going zig instead of zag and end up right back at the start again. I wanted to cry.

And for all my bitching, you know what I did this afternoon? Installed DS Remastered. It’s a sickness.

Well, one thing to remember is that there is a creature that once killed eliminates those laser shooting flying angels. The one in upper Dregs Heap is fairly out in the open, but the ones in the next area, not so much.

I don’t want to say too much so I will spoiler the rest of this…

The creature in the upper area is in an area you get to by going thru the church, turning to the left and running towards the drop off. The creature is on the left.

Down below the creatures are much more hidden. The first one requires either a risky jump off the cliff in front of you or a long run around the entire area. Run to the half building in front of the bonfire, then dash for the building on the far right. You will need to roll jump onto a “tree root” at about 2’ o clock from the left side of the building. The second creature is easier to find. It is in the rooftops and tree roots to the far right side of the swamp.

Don’t forget to explore the upper and lower areas better after the Angels are dead, as there is some great loot in the areas.

Demon Prince isn’t the hotspot for summoning that NK is, sadly. I’m all dressed up and nowhere to go.

I think I might like co-oping bosses more than basically any other part of the game. I hope people are still playing DSR when I get to it.

I was at the Demon Prince last night and the only summons were for the two NPC’s. Gael isn’t worthless but still not as good as a real player. This afternoon I returned and there were three real player signs down and I picked one and we took the Demon Prince down.

I do love the first time exploration of areas, but next to that co-oping bosses is my favorite thing.

Well, I had mine down for a while and nobody summoned me, so I went back to doing NK for a bit.

The Ringed City is a harsh, harsh place.

Well, it’s fairly late here and I have to be up early, but anywhere between 19.5 and 23.5 hours from now I’m up for it, if you don’t solo him first (and if you do you’ll have done better than I did).

I played it in march for the first time and there were still plenty of people playing.

Oh God, she’s the worst. Parry Mason. I died a lot more to the body form of Tsorig, but he had a gigantic freakin sword and she just had a little rapier…how bad could it be…

I couldn’t muster up the desire to fire up the Ringed City this morning, so I made a character in DSR and ran him around the starting area for like 15 minutes, and in that time I think I heard the Bell of Awakening like 5 times, so I guess yeah, some people are definitely still playing.

I have found a new lease on life by cosplaying Gael:

I stole your face, and now I’m coming for your soul.