Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

I am playing SOTFS now for the first time, I got a new PC enabling me to play it last fall. In playing it I actually came across areas where I wondered how someone new to the game would be able to handle it. Heides Tower is such a place now, the constant appearance of the Pursuer and the explosive power of the Priestesses. But I think some areas are easier.

I also think there are way too many petrified enemies blocking doorways. And some are in places where it makes no sense story wise or enemy wise.

I remember so many times when I got stuck in SOTFS, you said, “just do such and such”, and I was thinking… er, what is Scuzz talking about? That’s not even possible.

I have been trying to keep up on the Steam conversation, but it seems like the info changes all the time. If it comes out at $20 for people who already own it on Steam I will probably buy it when it releases just to be part of the surge that will return to the game. But otherwise I may pass it up. I don’t mind the old graphics.

I haven’t seen any changes to bosses but there are some big changes to some areas. They even added some DS3 speed type enemies, I just came across some in the Undead Crypt.

This is the biggest lie of Dark Souls. I’ll never forget complaining about them on here (and the long annoying run to the boss) only for some Souls vet to sneer that the gargoyles are one of the easiest bosses, and they only get harder from there.

Nope. Any time you have two enemies in a Souls combat system, it’s really hard. The camera and mechanics just don’t work well for it. Nowadays of course it’s “easy” because I know how to burst one down to almost nothing before the second one shows up. But I still think in a vacuum that they are one of the top 3-5 hardest bosses in the game (not counting DLC).

I don’t disagree. However, the early bosses in Dark Souls are master classes in game design, in that they teach you the systems you need to learn to be successful later in the game.

Asylum Demon teaches you to use the terrain to your advantage and exploit bosses weaknesses. Taurus Demon teaches you that lesson again, and then to get inside the reach of large enemies. Gargoyles teaches you how to handle 2 tough opponents at once, to plan your attacks and look for openings. Capra Demon teaches you the value of poise and armor, or he forces you to learn to dodge rather than shield block every attack.

Once you understand those game mechanics those bosses are “easy”.

It has DS3 style multiplayer with passwords and up to six players in a session.

Hoping for a UI update since that thing is a third of the screen. Other than that I’m pretty much expecting it to look like the PC version with DSFix. Oh, and probably reworked trophies to include the dlc maybe? Since it’s all one game now.

Oh, fucking excellent. Thanks!

@ShivaX

Nothing about price though. I have been keeping up with the Steam discussion on this and it appears it will be priced as a new game now. Hopefully they return to the idea of discounting it for current owners of the original version.

I don’t know how many people will buy it for the PvP or graphics.

But, the temptation to buy it when it comes out and playing it in a world flush with people is strong.

I’m in just for the ability to actually co-op it with a friend (like you can do with 2 and 3 but never could with this) and the actual server based online rather than P2P. Plus they basically retroactively fixed the stuff in it that was later fixed in 2 and then 3, so it’s going to be the best version of itself. If it’s $40 it will be a more than fair price, but if it’s $60 that might be a tougher pill to swallow, sure. Though I imagine it would be obtainable at around $48 from the usual places even in that case.

The UI scaling will be nice. DSfix had it too but it was glitchy.

All my hype went out the window last night when I watched vaatividya’s preview video. Kinda glad that this bullshit got called out in the comments, the original with Dsfix looks better in comparison. Animated leaves? Whoopdiefuckingdo. New lighting is garbage and makes things look washed out, like someone poured dirty water all over the screen.

I actually had to check the upload date on the video because it felt like an April Fools joke to me.

It definitely creates a different visual look in certain cases. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

I always thought that the PS3 version is still good looking … maybe the most important improvement is frame rate and online coop (DS3 like) … this is with the DLC right? Never went there, heard it was pretty good …

It’s really good newbrof. I don’t want to oversell it, but it was my favorite fights in the game. It took what was good about the fights in the base game and ramped up the skill requirements with fights that had you use the best aspects of the main game’s combat.

The DLC gives you perhaps one of the best bosses in the game, and also two of the toughest. I am not a lore fiend but it probably plays an important part in that as well.

The lighting in DS2 SOTFS became such that the torch mechanic was required in some areas. I would hope DS1 didn’t get so dark in some areas as to be almost unplayable, since there are no torches.

f6ZY5Mo

That is a fair point. DS1 had an entire section of the game that was pitch black by design.

I think the real test will be footage of Blighttown. It’s the next darkest area of the game, but you should still be able to make most things out.