Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

Man that Artorias fight…I thought I had it down, but it took me quite a few attempts before I beat him last night. Those dodge rolls have to be precise boy. Very much enjoying this whole area. Descending into the abyssal ruins of Oolacile is quite the thing. I’m assuming they dug too deep, so to speak, and uncovered some dark shit.

These many-eyed beehive-headed enemies are amazing. Maybe my favorite so far. The creepy laughter just echoing off the ruined landscape, golden. I can do without the void hadoukens though. They are owning me hard. Got to the room with the ghosts and then stopped for the night.

Lotsa love for DS2 in here, very cool.

I can feel the end of DS1 quickly approaching, which I’m of mixed minds about. Very eager to move onto the next game, but also a bit sad, because this was an experience I’ll never have again.

Playing Sekiro was amazing, especially since I was able to experience it in real time with the rest of the forum/community, and I absolutely love that game, but it didn’t give me the same feeling I’ve had playing DS1.

There’s something quite unique about how austere the whole game is. Like you’re a peon dropped into a world of giants. The discovery, story, mystery, and progression is something I’ll never forget.

Yeah, there’s something special here. I think Dark Souls 3 (I’ve only played the beginning) also tries to capture that feeling and gets there too. My first Souls game was Demon’s Souls. I know someone half-jokingly presented the theory above that your first Souls game is your favorite because you never capture that feeling again. And I really clung to my experience in Demon’s Souls being the best for a while. I was reluctant to embrace the changes in Dark Souls.

But the game won me over. Demon’s Souls was special because it was my first Soulsborne game, but Dark Souls is special because it’s the best Souls experience. They do things with atmosphere and level design and enemy design and a combination of all of the above that adds up to more than what the other games do, in my opinion, of course.

Now I really do need to finish Bloodborne’s DLC and get back to Dark Souls 3 again. From what I played in the beginning of that game, they once again do things with the atmosphere and sound design and enemy design that I think was missing in Dark Souls 2. Something that makes it special again, not just from the perspective of pure game mechanics.

The Souls franchise must be still doing really well. The 3 Souls games have been removed from Gamepass and PSNow and are all selling for full price on PC and consoles.

DS3 Delux - $85
DS3 - $60
DS2 SotFS - $40
DS1 Remastered - $40

In all three games I think as a whole you can argue that the worst bosses were the 4 required boss souls in each game. It was the bosses you fight to get to them that are the best, with exceptions. But DS2 does have some great bosses, the Pursuer, the Twin Sentinels, the Sinner, the Mirror Knight etc.

The Dark Souls games do go on sale from time to time but when you consider how old some of them are it is surprising that the prices haven’t dropped. Remastered was recently $20 on Steam and a few other services, and I know DS3 with the DLC was recently at a pretty good discount.

Remastered killed Prepare to Die Edition, and with it, the multiplayer community! Irredeemable sin.

This is an awesome quote. I think you nailed it. For sure this continues throughout all three editions, with two standing out for me.

Oh, be on the lookout for a slightly new theme in Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls remastered is $20 right now on Steam.

Is that worth it if you already have prepare to die? Does it add anything aside from convenience of not needing to use that patch?

Is prepare to die edition with DLC? Because remastered has it…

I think the only thing Remastered really has over PtD is that it can run at 60fps without breaking the engine?

Multiplayer seems pretty robust on remastered pc. There are still tons of hints. I get invaded all the time in later areas (and everytime I walked into that one area in darkroot). Plenty of sigils outside bossfights, etc.

Will have to admit to some frustration. I’ve explored every area save Izalith, and I’m currently staring down three tough bossfights that are handing me my lunch (Nito, Manus, Kalameet). I’m tempted to burn all my stored souls to get my strength up so I can equip Havel’s shield, and then just try and face tank everything.

I dunno. Game stopped being fun for probably the first time.

You’re in a tough spot. Nito is definitely the easiest and Kalameet is probably the hardest. Izalith is simply lame so you’re going to have to buckle in.

Ooof. Guess I’ll start on the easy one…and then work my way back.

Oh joy, back to the Tomb…

Nito is a run like hell boss, and a blessed weapon to keep his buddies from coming back couldn’t hurt.

Or use speed runner strats for Nito. Walk into room, equip full stone armor set (but keep whatever weapon you normally use and forget shields they’re for babies), drop down, heal, wait for Nito to walk over to you and just stand in front of him and swing away until he’s dead. You can walk over to him but that may attract too many adds. You can also meet him halfway.

Don’t block anything, ignore all adds. You’ll poise through everything except the spikes so just make sure to heal occasionally. Given how much you’ve been playing you should have very good damage now so it won’t take long to blow him up.

Looks like I never mentioned Nito in this thread. I had to look him up. Oh yeah! I remember that guy now. I am not much help though because I don’t remember having much trouble with him. Same with Manus. I know people really smashed their heads against that one but I got him on my second try, after using all 15 Estus flasks and being on my last bit of health at the end. I just remember being able to back off and drink to recover health a lot, which helped in that fight.

As to Kalameet: come on, you’re not having fun against Kalameet? You’ve got him on the ground, right? Are you trying to get his tail first so you can forge that special sword? It turned out to be neat but I never really used it. Kalameet was a fun challenge for me though.

This is just the kind of strat that appeals to me. Will be using this method tonight. Thanks!

I think my problem here is that I took an extended break to play Sekiro and came back super rusty and now all the game has for me are endgame boss fights. I should have kept my momentum going.

I feel my prowess coming back, but it’s coming back slowly, and the game can be kind of unforgiving and a bit of a drag when all you’re doing is throwing yourself at bosses.

Ya got em on the ground. Not worrying about the tail. I can see the fun there, but the camera is a problem, and I’m a bit boss fatigued. But it’s a dragon, and I want to kill a dragon. Not going to give up on the “optional” bosses by any means, just need to reconsider my approach.

I think I’m going to farm humanity in the abyss until I can save Solaire, go face tank Nito, work my way through Izalith, and then return for the Manus/Kalameet double tango, before facing off against Gwyn.

Edit: like a total spazz I started up a new game on the switch last night sitting on my couch convalescing from my PC play through. Already at gargoyles ; )