Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

So, a few times (and just now twice with the same person), I’ve been backstabbed by other players when my shield was up, I had a lot of stam and they were in no way behind me. In fact this last time it happened the other person’s back was to me, and yet I found myself on the sharp end of the backstab animation. What gives?

Did Kalameet solo in one go, although it was a tense affair. Couldn’t ever get close enough to his tail to chop it off, alas. Good fight. Great DLC. On to the end, I suppose…

Midir is much harder than Kalameet. Mostly due to his massive damage resistance and health pool unless you only attack the head which has limited timing windows which means dodging more attacks directly in harms way.

Did you beat the Ancient Dragon? (DS2). One of the worst fights ever produced and just a pain in the ass. It’s like fighting only the Nameless King’s dragon mount except they spam a larger version of the breath weapon AOE and have 10x the health.

I found Gwyn harder than Kalameet, at least at first. Man, what a great game. I feel like I can only be disappointed, after everything, by DS2, but I somehow can’t help myself. I’m going Gwyn, er, going in.

I am tearing through these, but only because, after all this time, I am loving them so much. I don’t really want to play anything else. I will be sad when it’s over and done, but probably I will do another DS3 playthrough, trying to maximize co-op and PvP this time, and wait for Sekiro to go on sale.

Nice work. You are a true Dark Souls savant.

No, mainly because like Priscilla in the Painting, he is a good guy and helps you. Well, that and the one time I tried killing him he seemed really bad ass. :)

People seem to either love or be disappointed by DS2. I like it, although I think the argument can be made that 3 of the big 4 bosses you are supposed to get are only so so. There are other great boss fights. And one of the DLC contains 2 of the best ever. It also has one extremely annoying run up to a boss.

DS2 has too much fat and is the longest Souls game by far. The DLC only makes this more so. The DLC is also the best (also worst) content wise in DS2. It isn’t even close.

So far there seems to be a fairly bright line between DeS/DaS on the one hand and BB/DS3 on the other, much like the bright line I experienced when my reflexes we’re good enough to be top of the heap in BF1942 but no better than mediocre at CoD Modern Warfare. I think DS2 falls on the “less demanding” end of that spectrum, but I guess I’ll find out.

The kiln was much cooler in 1 than 3. So far, 1 has been the best “adventure,” but I think if I were to replay one…it would be 3. It felt like the better “game,” maybe, and definitely had more and better multiplayer interactions possible. I loved this one, though. Wish the player pop was higher. Spent some time this afternoon reading and waiting to be summoned for Kalameet before heading off to meet Gwyn.

And it looks like I missed an entire area! I delved into the Great Hollow a bit, but after getting cursed I left what I thought were just some items to lay where they were. So that’s what those weird “dragon remnant” eyes I saw by the bonfire in Oolacile were, I forgot to mention them. Only saw them once, and they disappeared almost immediately. Wish this game had a higher player population. Another point in DS3’s favor…

There is a whole area tucked behind 2 secret doors in the swamp area. You go down to a large area that is actually visible from from the area in catecombs where you are invaded by the NPC before the boss.

I would agree that DS2 is too long. But the DLC is, on the whole, damn good. Some of the boss fights are frustrating, some are very very good, some are just interesting. There are puzzles involved, and hidden bonfires. I think I hate when they hide a bonfire more than anything else.

The game gives you several paths to follow but eventually turns very linear. But I think if you enjoy Dark Souls games, you will end up liking the game. Sure, DS3 is faster and prettier (although there is a spot or 2 in DS2 that are pretty amazing). DS1 has a great story. Just give DS2 a chance.

Yes I agree. The best thing about DS2 is the DLC. When I said also the worst…I specifically mean the optional jolly cooperation gauntlet zones…the only interesting thing about those areas is you could be summoned their as a co-op partner without actually having the DLC. Otherwise those are by far the worst areas in all of Dark Souls.

I think the three DLC have a total of 9 boss fights, of which 3 (1 in each DLC) is bullshit. Two of them because of the run to the boss and 1 because you tend to die a lot, not that they aren’t all tough. One is supposed to be an homage to a Demon Souls boss.

But 2 of the bosses are considered top 5, while the others are decent.

I would say there are at least 3 terribly bad gauntlet runs to an optional boss. Just total agonizing bullshit that isn’t fun. Someone could argue there are 4 with the run to the “Gank Squad” but I recall it being pretty short short compared to the others which are just absolutely fucking tedious.

I think I actually took the time to kill the enemies until they all despawned so I wouldn’t have to put up with that shit and could focus on killing the boss. Although this tactic doesn’t work in “happy times” winter wasteland. Easily the worst offender here.

This is all very encouraging stuff.

I did that for the boss in the Old Iron King DLC. Yea, the winter wasteland boss was a joke. The Gank Squad is based on a Demon Soul boss and I found you could run thru most of that.

Well, the Demon’s Souls OG “Gank Squad” wasn’t any of the bosses, which is norm. Just a trio of black phantoms at the start of 1-5. Every game has a “Gank Squad”. In Dark Souls it was Lautrec and his two buddies in the Black Orb dimension. In Bloodborne it was the 3 Hunters in the Unseen Village church. In Dark Souls 3 it was those 3 fools in the upper Grand Archives courtyard… (although I haven’t played Shadows Die Twice yet so I dunno about that) But DS2 is the only time they are an actual boss…with a fog gate, boss music, life bars…the whole getup.

P.S. Gank Squad in Bloodborne is the fucking worst.

I cheesed those guys with the cell in the church basement.

Good for you. slow clap

I didn’t cheese those guys. That was the problem. Fighting anyone one is still a pain in the ass. All 3 is a total nightmare.