Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Spiritual Successor

I’d go as far as to say it’s impossible to fight all 3 at once. I tried for a long time, but eventually the only thing that worked was to separate them and try to get them stretched away from each other so you could kill one at a time. With 3 at once, I really think it’s virtually impossible unless you get really lucky and they stop spamming their shotgun fire.

It’s definitely possible because I did it, but the better question is do you really have a few hours?

I think they put that shortcut bypass door there for a reason…only you should open it during an earlier visit.

You separate them, you use the columns against the magic guy and you try to take out one of the other two as fast as you can. It does usually take me a couple tries to get them.

I tend to agree with this. I thought that maybe since DS1 was my first, my enjoyment of the adventure/exploration/discovery part of it could be chalked up to being new to the souls series, so it’s good to hear you had a similar experience. I also think DS3 is the better game, which should be expected since FROM has gotten better at making games.

I also share your sentiment about only wanting to play souls games. It’s been hard to try and crack into other types of games.

Thankfully Iceborne will be here on Friday.

Monster Hunter? How does that compare to the Souls series?

For me, it was the game that got me to try the souls series.

There are so many things that I love about monster hunter that have absolutely nothing to do with souls games, but the one major thing they have in common is the combat. Not to mention, that game is mainly a collection of massive boss fights.

After spending nearly a thousand hours with MHW, I became quite fond of animation based combat with major weapon variations. Gitting gud at MH convinced me I could probably handle a souls game.

I have no idea what you mean by “better game”…better mechanics? Better crafting? Better bosses? Better level design?

For me it is sort of a tie between Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls as the supreme From Software expression…followed by Bloodborne.

Dark Souls 3 is fine, but it lacks its own soul. Everything it does has been done before…

Yeah I guess I should have explained what I meant. By better game I took Kolbex to mean the gamey parts of the game felt better. Like, the combat felt better, the loot felt better, the boss fights felt better. At least, that was my experience.

And by better game I didn’t mean I liked it more. My souls pantheon so far probably looks something like this:

Bloodborne, DS1, DS3, Sekiro, DS2.

Still working on Demon’s Souls, which I’m enjoying quite a bit, but when compared to the refinement of DS3, feels janky as hell.

Dark Souls might have been the significant cultural zeitgeist “everyone” shares but for me Demon’s Souls started it all. When I first played Dark Souls I was comparing it to Demon’s Souls.

When I finished it I was not sure it was necessarily better either. I was conflicted.

DS2 really made it easier to say finally, yeah this isn’t as good as the other two.

For me the Dark Souls “experience” will always be tied into my first play thru of DS1. The utter frustration I felt playing that game and then the wonderful feeling of accomplishment when you finally beat that boss. I had never played a game like that before. Sure other games had great fights but they all gave you saves and quick saves, you never lost anything when you died. You never had the learning curve required by DS1.

Once I had played and finally finished DS1 I had no worries that I couldn’t do DS2 and then DS3. Now I haven’t played Demon Souls or Bloodborne, although I can get the game and beg my daughter for the use of her PS4. I think that will happen soon.

I’m with you 100% here. The confidence boost I felt after DS1 was huge. It’s something I’ve carried with me through the rest of the souls games as well as other more difficult games.

It’s very much a feeling of “if I can do this, I can do anything.”

Sekiro is personally my biggest accomplishment, but I couldn’t have done it without cutting my teeth on DS1.

I sense a QT3 plays BB for October may be in the cards…

So the remastered version (which I guess is all you can buy now) was on sale for $3.99 on Steam yesterday. For that price I was willing to give it another try on my machine and hope some patch has solved the problem I was having.

Wow, that’s even cheaper than I got the Prepare to Die edition all those years ago (which was a whole $5).

Shit that’s an amazing price drop! I think I got it for like 30 back in march. Let us know how it runs!

We will see. I originally bought it at release, for $20 I think because I already owned the Prepare to Die Edition. But I only got about two hours in when the game continually froze up during the fight with the demon on the castle wall. Steam was very good about refunding my money. I only bought it this time because of the price and because maybe a patch had resolved the problem. I hadn’t figured on powering it up but maybe I will, since I should be able to see soon enough if it will run okay. At $3.99 I don’t figure to hassle them over a refund a second time.

I feel like a sucker for buying it for $8 now! :P

On the remaster I got to the part where I fought the rats and killed the metal pig. I think I got killed by the black knights in the next area, which was my first real death. And then I switched to Dark Souls 3.

You mean the Black Knight that is up on the tower. I don’t think I have ever been able to kill that guy when I first hit that point. I usually come back for him later. The damn pig is enough hassle at that point.

I just played back through that area – you can cheese that knight in the tower a little by fighting him on the spiral stairs – some of his attacks will whiff over your head and you can retaliate by hitting his feet. Getting the Drake Sword helps.

He doesn’t always follow you down the stairs but I have seen him come all the way down before. And yea, you need a weapon that does decent damage to him, with the Drake Sword probably being the best at that point. You could have the Claymore but you can’t have leveled it up yet.

I’ve killed him with the Drake Sword too, but that’s basically cheating ; )