Dark Souls for whimps (like me): Lords of the Fallen

I don’t remember him, but I like your story :-)

So I’ve been stuck on this boss for a long time now. Maybe I’ll finally ask for a hint, since I’m likely to give up on the game at this point if I don’t.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

• I’ve tried knocking him down with a shield when he’s praying.
  • I’ve tried heavy attack, light attack, running heavy attack, running light attack, and various combos.
  • I’ve tried running away to the farthest corner away from him.
  • I’ve tried having a shelter spell on when his prayer finishes, but it’s still over 2000 damage.

I did accidentally survive his prayer once: I was running away and I happened to be far enough away from those blue pools that show up when he’s praying, and I think I happened to be under a shelter (there’s a few of those in the area). Those are my two clues.

But I tried for over an hour to replicate that accidental discovery, but to no avail. I can’t survive again. I’ve tried being under shelters, but I die instantly. I’ve tried to find my way away from the blue pools, but suddenly nothing looks far enough away from blue pools. If I could zoom camera out and play it from an overhead perspective, I could maybe find out if there’s an shelter with less blue pools around it. But the camera is so close, I can’t really tell which shelter I should try to hide under that’s away from the blue pools enough to let me live.

Am I at least on the right track? What the fuck is up here? I’m starting to hate this fight since I can’t figure it out. Stupid puzzles in my action game…grumble grumble.

All I need to know is how to survive when he’s praying. Otherwise he doesn’t seem all that threatening.

Nevermind. I survived on another attempt. I’m not sure what I did differently. Maybe I found an archway that was far enough away from the blue things again?

Oh well. The Worshiper is down.

The funny part? Beating him was a rare achievement. Only 9.67% of people have gotten this achievement. Ha!

How is that game? Can you play mouse and keyboard? The new Surge game has me wondering.

You got me looking at my achievements @Rock8man and I actually did play the game as the cleric. I almost always go warrior / fighter in games like this. It turns out only 4% of players finished the game as the cleric.

4.5% completed the game as the rogue, 9.5% as the warrior.

The next most rare achievement I got was collecting 9 tyrant hearts, which 15.6% of people did.

They got a cheap laugh out of me last night, after I finished the Catacombs and went into a different realm, and the achievement was something like The Real Lords Starts Here.

I can’t believe how addictive this game is. I’m constantly thinking about it now whenever I’m not playing. It really is Dark Souls for wimps if you play the Cleric. I don’t even ever use healing potions because I have my own healing spell that always keeps me topped off. I mean, can you imagine if Dark Souls had infinitely regenerating mana and therefore infinitely regenerating help thanks to a healing spell that also reflected all damage and raised all your resistances? Even if you kept all the rest of a Souls/Blood game the same, just that change would make a HUGE difference.

Honestly, after you beat the Commander (second boss) it starts playing like a power fantasy. How quickly can I beat down everyone now that I’m slowly becoming a god among men? It kind of reminds me more of God of War on Normal difficulty, whereas Dark Souls is closer to God of War on Hard difficulty.

Glad you like it! Cleric is a great class but don’t be like me and carry 200k souls around, as you’re bound to lose them sooner or later lol. Once you become more familiar with the game and more confident in your ability you should try the warrior again - if you beat the first boss without taking any damage you get an upgraded version of his sword which makes things really fun.

And if you like sustain that healing spells offers then you might want to check out The Surge (same devs) at some point. It has an implant that converts energy into health, and you get energy by hitting things. If you’re careful you can go on long exploration stretches without using your main consumables at all.

I got cocky. I was trying to go for the achievement of killing a boss with over 20k souls still on you. So I was going around for a whole day killing stuff, never banking it. I had over 40k I think when I finally died, and then I happened to die again right after that. My first ever double death in this game I think. I’m so used to losing way more souls than that in the Souls game though, so it didn’t bother me. It is telling that it’s the first time I’ve lost a sizeable amount in this game, and it was only because I was going for an achievement.

I met a God last night.

The game feels like it’s closing in on the ending.

One thing I must say, it’s kind of cool to have a Souls-style game with an actual understandable story. Not saying it’s necessarily better, but it is different and good in its own way.

This latest proving ground is proving to be very difficult. Round 3 features these giant fire dogs and that roll all over the place. I think I might need to go change to fire protected armor first before I can handle this one. Fire does a LOT of damage to me right now, and throughout the game I concentrated to getting more magic and more endurance, so Vitality ended up being pretty low here at the end game. And that’s fine for most things, but I think I need some hit points against these fire dog things.

I finally beat the Lost Brothers. That took ages.

All my weapons did so little damage to them. They were resistant to my fire staff and my lightning hammer. The only other Cleric weapon in the game is Clawfinger, the scyth, which does mostly physical damage but has a really slow wind-up. I killed most bosses in the game with this thing, and now I had to switch back to it. It still took about half an hour to beat this duo though. I had to be really careful since the runes I discovered only gave me one flawless fire rune, so I didn’t have much fire protection or lightning protection. Plus I never put any points into vitality. All my points are in magic and endurance.

Still, I did finally beat them.

There’s very little cleric equipment in this game. In retrospect I should have spread my points around. Maybe a bit less magic and a bit more agility, so I could use the agility required shields, or the agility weapons. Or maybe some points into strength instead, so I could use a shield, or maybe one of the dozens of strength based swords I have.

The final boss was much easier than the Lost Brothers, thankfully. After I beat the game, I immediately started over to see if I could beat the first boss without taking a single hit. It took me a long time, but I finally got it. That achievement was worth more gamerscore than beating the game! Ha!

I think I’ll continue playing as the Warrior. Or maybe I should move onto Dark Souls 3 now? That was the original plan for June. Hmmm, maybe I’ll put in the DS3 disc, and then let my instinct decide which one to launch tomorrow.

Playing as the Warrior is very different. The early part of the game was really easy compared to the Cleric. But the later part of the game is proving to be quite difficult, even though it was trivial as the Cleric and his constant healing ability. I’m surprised at how soft and squishy The Warrior is, even with Heavy armor on, against these enemies. I guess they all have armor piercing or some such thing? Anyway, even at the highest armor and highest poise, I still get interrupted all the time and killed. The warrior is a bit of a wuss compared to the Cleric.

Of course, the first three bosses were quite different. In that case, the Cleric had such a tough time, while the Warrior just breezed through. Those bosses, even when they hit me, never did more than 16 damage. Now later in the game, even regular enemies routinely do over 60 points of damage on each hit. In other words, ordinary enemies hit several times harder than those early bosses.

How did you evade his attack when he jumps up on the tower and start shooting laser beams? I had no problem with him on the ground, but that attack hits hard and its not easy to evade because the camera is a pain for looking up.

As a cleric, there’s no need to evade the laser. Just cast the health regeneration when he jumps up, and his laser beam hits come back in health, no problem.

Uh-oh.

[quote]
Tomasz Gop, the driving force behind the Lords of the Fallen series, announced CI Games had let him go.

Speaking to me, Gop said: "I was let go because of a reduction in team, in scope, in budget, in business approach.

"Almost two years I’ve been working on the sequel and I have not seen it leave the concept/vision stage. I was working on something I was really 100 per cent into and we were not producing the game.

“There came a time when Sniper [Ghost Warrior 3] was the most important thing for CI, the next big hit. It also might have been the reason why Lords was not progressing as fast. Of course it’s not uncommon knowledge that [SGW3] didn’t go exactly according to plan, especially if it goes for sales. And here we are.”[/quote]

Not a devastating loss, but it sucks that their ambition killed an unrelated game.

2nd game existing work scrapped, new developer starting from scratch, it was hard to find this thread!

So I have started this game. I have around 5 hours into it. Kinda feels like Neverwinter Nights trying to be Dark Souls. There is some good and some bad. The controls so far are the worst part, that and playing in darkness. I just killed the Worshipper, who was a pain in the ass.

Okay, this game has gone beyond Dark Souls frustration for me. Bosses who can heal, arenas that are so dark you can’t tell the front of the boss from the back, which is kind of important most of the time, and a total inability to stay locked on or find the boss when he jumps. The camera is worse than DS if that is possible.