Dark Tower: Wizard And Glass TV Show incoming

This is kind of neat, they are doing a TV show based on the 4th book that covers Roland’s early years (and that the comic series so neatly and incredibly covered, I assume). Could be great, potentially, if they do it right.

Absolutely my favorite book in the series. Can’t wait to catch this.

Ditto re the book. Will be slightly more temperate in my enthusiasm for a show though. A good adaptation would be great, but they ain’t all good ones…

I think I’m kind of racist for thinking a black roland is weird.

it is kind of weird, I agree, but just because from the comics and the art in some of the books he’s clearly white and it’s always kind of strange when they mix race and whatnot up in any media. But I can’t think of another actor I’d rather see tackle the role, either.

I wouldn’t care at all except that Roland being white is a significant part of his interaction with Susannah. Of course, for a Wizard and Glass show there should be zero of that (or Earth, period).

A black Roland struck me as odd also, but now that I’ve read that the movie is actually a sequel of sorts to the books and not an adaption to the books I guess it’s not as weird. If they start the story over with changes along the way, one of those changes could be that Roland is now black instead of white and his relationship with Susannah is slightly different than in the books.

Geeking out a bit, but this assumes that the aspect/spirit of Roland is the constant rather than the physical manifestation of Roland that exists in the books. That was not my take away from the end of the series.

Yeah, a big part of, was it the drawing of the three? involved Roland dealing with Susannah’s alter ego.

Although, to be honest, that wasn’t even what struck me as weird. I imagine Roland as being Clint Eastwood. Hell, I’m pretty sure that King imagined him as Clint Eastwood, even saying as much. Of course Eastwood is too old now for the role, but it still struck me as weird.

All that being said, Idris Elba could play Roland pretty well I suspect.

I like it!

More on the Amazon show:

Flagg on the left, Roland on the right.

Sources say that Jasper Pääkkönen and Sam Strike have both been cast in the pilot, which is based on the Stephen King book series of the same name. Strike will play Roland Deschain, also known as The Gunslinger, while Pääkkönen is believed to be playing The Man in Black, also known as Marten Broadcloak and Randall Flagg. The series is said to tell the story of how Roland became a gunslinger and his first encounter with the villainous Man in Black.

Amazon declined to comment.

Since this is based on my least favorite King book of all time, I won’t be watching it. But if they ever get around to making a TV show for the first three books you’d have to feed me to lobstrosities to keep me from watching.