Dauntless - pc co-op monster hunter?

So did anyone else give Dauntless a try after the TomChick uber stream last night? =)

Hit “O” or trackpad if you are using the controller

So, this was released as free-to-play on Xbone today. Is that how it is in pc? If so, is it terrible? I’ve been enjoying Monster Hunter World since it got added to Game Pass last month. How is this different? It really seems like bad timing for the Dauntless devs.

I have installed it. Now I need to find some time to play it, lol.

It’s quite good, but keep in mind they are having serious server issues with the number of people playing. Game has cross platform as well. Anyone have a guild?

I played it a year ago or so. It failed to hook me because it seemed very basic (granted I only played an hour or so and felt bored), but I had never played a Monster Hunter game before. I picked up MHW once it became available on PC and loved it.

I’ve been meaning to go back to it after enjoying MHW so much but haven’t gotten around to it.

This could be the slogan for all of my gaming time the past few years.

I’ve been playing off and on for awhile now and I really like this game. I think for the most part the pay walls is in an appropriate spot and the company is very generous with the game play. Every big patch they’ve made some QOL changes and game play tweaks that for the most part have all added to the experience. I like the combat a little better then MHW because it doesn’t lock you in to things nearly as much as MHW does. I like the RPG aspects less then MHW because MHW has a ton of progression features to it that a F2P game would find hard to match. @tomchick streamed this on a Wednesday not so long ago and his comment I believe was “I don’t hate this.” So, I think for a F2P game that’s a stamp of approval? not sure =)

I played at lunch today on my PC and I did about 7 hunts, and all of them were mixed console players. I didn’t see a single PC person, so I am guessing it is popular. I had maybe 6 second queues during the hour I played.

EDIT: Jynx! Looks like now that more people are on, they are crawling again…

This maybe not my thing, because I found it to be dull as dishwater.

5 minute login wait. Then made my dude and watched the black loading screen for 10 min before I shit it down and went back to Xcom 2. I’ll try again tmrw

I went ahead and tried it, and have done three or four hunts now. Not much to it so far, but I’m willing to give it some more time.

It starts off very easy if you have played MH at all, but it goes from easy to hard like jumping off a cliff at some point.

Is the game still limited to a half dozen or so weapon classes, or did they expand on that leading up to release? One of the things I like about MHW is the cool things you can do with weapons like the Insect Glaive and the hunting horn. Being able to support your team, have crazy mobility, etc.

It’s F2P so thought I’d answer my own question.

Welp.

Free and Free to Play games seem to do well on the Epic Store!

queues actually go pretty fast, it’s the delay in finding servers for hunts that is annoying to me right now. They have added 2 weapons so are at 7 or so now I think? Advantage over MHW to me is that I love all 7 where in MHW I love about 7 of the 15 or so.

Isn’t Travis Day (Diablo III Loot 2.0 designer) working on this?

One hot take

The only new weapon is a dual pistols ranged option they added.

The thing I like about Dauntless is that it’s a much breezier game than MH:W. Sure, it’s not as deep or involved, but that means it’s also way more pick up and play. There’s far less setup, prep and tracking involved. You aren’t managing huge numbers of items. You’re not even responsible for carving so you don’t have to try an optimize your drops that way either. I’ve also never felt as committed to any weapon or gear so it leaves you free do do a lot more switching and experimenting.

The constant f2p upsell is a turnoff though.