Dave Long Happy Fun Thread: Third Parties Hate The Wii

Wow, I’m going to do my best to completely forget I ever read that.

EDIT: Removed the quote so that if that quote is removed, my post won’t be preserving it.

Apparently Dave has been banned due to this although I don’t think his intent was to be so lewd. He just PM’d me on Steam explaining that he chose the name because it’s a character from the Alien Legion comics…

http://beyondheroes3.tripod.com/spellik.htm

It didn’t even make sense. “Minge gumbo”? It STARTS with genital cannibalism?!?!?! Yeah, I’m unclear on the concept, here.

Still, at least if I drove DL to self-renaming, his new handle delivers… not sure what it delivers, but it does appear to deliver :-)

…or not; “Spellik” is not in the members list at this time. Dave Long, however, still is. Ah me, Bananas & Nuts will have fun with this one, unless that got banned too. I’m just glad I didn’t get the gentle touch (yet) over this.

That’s hilarious.

Did Dave’s handle change for like 5 minutes or something? Where did you guys get that his handle changed to that, it still looks like Dave Long to me. But I do notice that he is out of the inner circle group so I guess he is banned. If he was banned for a name change request how does anyone know about it though?

Wait, what? Really? I would bet cash money Dave had no idea that it even had another meaning beyond the comic character.

It changed, but it looks like it has been changed back now.

Yeah, I disagreed with the guy, but this doesn’t seem warranted.

I posted this in Everything Else…

It was never my intention to have that definition appear. I loved the Alien Legion comics when I was younger and that was one of my favorite characters, now co-opted by that horrible definition on the Internet. I swear when I searched before choosing that it was not on the first page of hits at Google.

As I noted in the Steam post, my [email protected] address has been active for years and I’m sure some of you have seen me use that name in online games. My friend Lee Johnson who posts here can confirm that I used the “Spellik” name to play Everquest II also.

I’m really sorry to have inflicted that definition on everyone and if I really must keep using my real name at Qt3 because of what Tom says above, then could you all please edit out the links to that definition? I would appreciate not being put into post headers too if possible.

I’m so so sorry that this all led to such an uproar. I was trying to do exactly the opposite thing and separate my real identity from the one here at Qt3 at least as far as future searches done by employers that I might be trying to be employed by, especially given people were making posts as if they were attributed to me and using my name in post headers.

Sorry again. I feel awful. :(

I don’t know what to say. I was trying to do the exact opposite thing as what has occurred.

Ack, sorry that happened to you Dave. Glad you are back, at least! I might not always agree with you but the place would be poorer without you.

It’s worked wonderfully for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in Japan.

I can see both sides of this. Yes, Monster Hunters Tri sold very well. It’s a financial success, no doubt.

But I think it does somewhat speak to a weakness of the Wii as a platform for third parties when your big huge franchise doesn’t do as well as it would on another platform, despite the Wii having this gargantuan installed base.

It’s a problem that, to use your example of platform hopping, the Nintendo DS doesn’t seem to have. Dragon Quest can jump from major console to another vendor’s handheld and do gonzo business.

Any way you slice it, one game is not really enough data upon which to argue the OP’s point, which is that third parties on the whole struggle to see the kind of success with the Wii that its installed base should warrant.

I just picked up the nearest Wii game I could find (a PAL copy of A Boy and his Blob) and the seal says “Original Nintendo Seal of Quality”, which I’m pretty sure is the same thing it said back in the days of the Game Boy.

The discussion of Wii software sales reminds me of the Economist piece discussed on P&R (IIRC) last month. The piece discussed the economics of mass market products, be they books, movies or music. The mass market can support a few huge blockbusters but doesn’t support many middle-budget titles. Thus, Hollywood spends more and more on big pictures and they will probably make money but the middle tier products never do.

Niche products can make money as their audience buys a lot of their niche interest, but that audience also has higher standards.

In the Wii’s case it is very much a mass market console. Any more than a couple of games per year per console is probably unreasonable, and hell, one might expect the ratios to be lower. Shovelling tons of software onto the platform seems destined to confuse and frustrate the mass market. They want one or two big titles well advertised and promoted and with extremely broad appeal. Nothing else will do well?

The two threads were in Books etc. and Everything Else…

I do think this logic applies to the Wii since it’s so decidedly aimed at casual gamers who don’t know or care much about video games. The Wii also has technical issues that prevent it from getting the hardcore market share that the DS has among handhelds: compared to 360/PS3 the Wii has terrible graphics, terrible Internet connectivity, and controls that just don’t work well for many traditional games.

So the Wii audience is pretty much exclusively casual, and casuals don’t play Dead Space. The end. Doesn’t mean that no third-party game can be successful but it’s got to be something like Guitar Hero or EA Sports Active – one of the few blockbusters that the Wii’s non-gamer mainstream audience will buy each year.

Did Rockband Wii sell well? I thought it didn’t, but I may be misremembering. At the end of the day, the OP is citing all sorts of titles, not just Capcom’s most recent. The claim is that the market is impossible (or at least VERY difficult) to figure because there’s no way to get the demographics properly. Every person I know that owns a Wii has zero interest in games. They want Wii Fit and they like the bowling and golf and such. My DAD just bought one, which is insane. He’s always thought gaming was silly, but now he’s telling me he bowled a 194 or something over the phone. I asked him if he wanted me to recommend him some other games (like Mario or Zelda), and he said no because he has no interest in them. He really wants Wii Fit though!

That’s anecdotal, but it seems to apply to a lot of the user base. These people aren’t gamers. Will this be a gateway? I doubt it, actually. Nintendo will do well; they make their profit. Great. But third parties just aren’t making much off the Wii relative to what other consoles offer. It doesn’t matter what the install base is. That number is irrelevant. What matters is how many people will buy your game, not how many homes have your console.

Did Rockband Wii sell well?

The Beatles did ok, I think.

As for the previous Rock Band games - they sold pretty much like you’d expect them to sell based on the circumstances. The first RB was a shitty port that lacked modes/functions the other versions had and no support for DLC. Again: No DLC. It got released way later, and consequently enough, had no marketing going for it at all. The RB2 port was better in terms of content (online modes, finally support for DLC), but came out way later once again - the US version came out around Christmas, the PAL version got launched in October 2009 (yes, after TB:RB) - and, whaddayaknow, once again had no marketing support at all. So, you didn’t know about either game until you ran across it in the store.

The Guitar Hero games sell really well on Wii, and are actually very good ports. Lord knows if there’s a correlation, but there you go.

I’ve got the Beatles Rock Band on Wii, too, which was also done well.

Thanks, Chris!

So, if it’s a game, it won’t sell - it’s too niche!

But, if it’s a cute sports or music game or a “lifestyle” game (Wii fit) you can make a buck. Yeah, tough market!

Apparently, even having ‘Metroid’ in the title doesn’t help…

“Only” half a million copies of a collection of previously-released games? Sounds like the only problem was with expectations.