Daylight - 60fps “e-paper-ish” Android tablet

I certainly don’t need this, and at $730 it’s a very expensive choice for something that would effectively just be a luxury Kindle for me, but man if that screen works as well as it seems in videos, I’d enjoy using one of these.

Dang, if it was half that I’d buy it. I’ve long wanted a hardback-sized e-paper reader with a bit more resolution than a Kindle.

I just drained my “frivolous tech” budget on one of the new iPads and don’t regret it in the least, but a year from now if the Daylight is successful and still tempting (and maybe on a version two with cellular options?), I could see myself grabbing one.

Looks very nice, but too expensive.

They seem to really push using the pen to write and sketch. I just don’t use my Scribe pen at all. I’d use it as an e-reader, and while the resolution might be better I’m happy enough with my Scribe’s resolution. I read stuff that is all text, no pics.

I’m honestly not even sure what they are trying to sell me.

If you want a friendly computer that’s good for your mental health, just don’t install any social media on it. And maybe avoid a web browser.

This feels like it’s pushing to be a “lifestyle” brand thing as opposed to just being tech.

This is my plan too.

I don’t really begrudge the “lifestyle” branding. That’s not the appeal for me, but seems like a reasonable attempt to differentiate itself from iPads and other Android tablets.

Since owning my first Kindle Paperwhite I’ve just always wanted to see e-ink/e-paper screens taken further. I’m still hoping for color someday, but if this is really a well-functioning 60fps e-paper screen, that appeals to me just on an aesthetic and novelty level. I don’t really buy the blue-light circadian rhythms stuff as a proven benefit, but I do appreciate it as a preference.

I got my iPad as an on the go web browsing/emailing/google doc’ing device since we only have one laptop at the house—the indulgent part of this purchase was getting an iPad Pro for my gadget nerdery instead of the cheapest option which would’ve sufficed. In the same way I could imagine a slightly more mature and proven version of this filling that role. Same basic functionality met, and just a different flavor of my gadget enthusiasm addressed as a luxury.

Same - love the size, hate the price, not going to be a first adopter.

I might be interested as a Kindle upgrade/replacement but the price will need to come down significantly from $730.

The inability to watch HD video in color on this thing seems like a deal breaker for any form of mass market appeal. Good luck I guess?

I’d love a B&W e-ink reader with responsive controls and non-flaky software. That’s pretty much what I’d want–a Scribe or even a Paperwhite that wasn’t crippled with Amazon’s crappy software.

This looks incredible. I’d love to read in the evenings from my instant paper account without having to jump through hoops to side load onto my nook. I’d love to browse quarter to three on this and then shift over to reading. I’d love to be able to type and do other stuff on that same screen.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this company, as that price is too high!

That looks nice, I’m curious how open it is in terms of running any Android app, or of it only runs stuff specifically designed for it.

Err. I bought an Onyx Boox 8" thing last year. This doesn’t look too different. Sure, the Android implementation is wacky (saying as someone who’s had Android devices of every shape, size and brand since the beginning), but it can be very powerful in terms of adjusting resolution/refresh/etc. to tailor to your task (reading/drawing/etc). Also, getting a new pen helped- I grabbed the Staedler Digital Norris Jumbo, and it feels so nice on the screen.

I wonder how it compares to the ReMarkable. I’d love it if e-ink displays continue to improve, and end up being very usable for general computing.

My main gripe with ReMarkable (which a colleague swears by) is the proprietary system. Makes cross platform articles, notes, books etc a big pain in my estimate. Some fork of Android makes so much more sense - at least for my use case.

Yeah, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to use something else for a tablet. It does look like it is running a linux kernel, so possibly some different config options, and possibly a driver or patches for the display. Then whatever they are running on top of it for the interface.

The title just hit me and I didn’t read the article, if this thing is 60 fps then it’s always refreshing, vs. e-ink which only uses power to change the cuttlefish skin? Ain’t that just a tablet?

I don’t really know how e-ink or e-paper are defined. It’s black and white and has an optional backlight, so like a Kindle, it’s viewable with or without the backlight (if illuminated by the world around you, of course).

If refresh rate and power consumption are core to the definition of e-ink or e-paper than I guess this isn’t that, but I don’t know what else to call it.

Googling a bit, it looks like it’s a monochrome transflective LCD screen. So yeah, a tablet with a screen that doesn’t require a backlight when there’s decent ambient light.

Hopefully it’s a nice device, but the marketing copy gives me the heebie-jeebies. Literally the only “calming” thing about it is the fact that the backlight for nighttime use avoids blue light. Which is great, but not exactly revolutionary.

You can find a bit (and I do mean a bit) more detail posted by the company founder here.