Dead Island 2

Hmm , not feeling it from that trailer. Dying Light 1 and 2 has really stolen the zombie killing crown imho.

Back when it was being developed by Yager, I remember one of the public faces of the game saying there was an earthquake that led to L.A. becoming its own seperate land mass. It’s unclear if that premise survived across the various iterations though.

Very, very Dying Light 1-esque, save for the LA setting and the lack of parkour. The weapons and weapon crafting are cosmetic tweaks on DL1’s weapons.

Oh, you guys are talking about an island in the new game! I wasn’t keeping up, sorry.

Hey, isn’t that the premise of John Carpenter’s prison documentary, Escape from LA?

I’ve played through the first game two times two years or so ago. Dead Island is more of a relaxed (*) zombie game. After getting past scarce resources after an hour or two, you can play the resource part rather intuitively. The threat by the zombies is under control, in the sense that you see it coming and you know where you are safe and where not. Apart from maybe one critical place per area and 3 high adrenaline story scenes in the whole game, in which you are fighting for survival, you can choose your own pace. And it’s never OMG, what’s behind that corner.

(*) I was about to write “fun”, but I didn’t want it to be perceived as if the characters were cracking jokes. The game is relatively light-weight though. That sets it apart from Dying Light.

edit: Zombie theme park myight be a good summary.

In this, at least from the trailer, the characters are definitely cracking jokes and yukking it up.

Sure. I was only talking about Dead Island 1 gameplay.

Hmm. More linear and less open than other similar zombie games.

That EGS exclusivity is such a fucking bummer. I’d like to play this, and if it had normal release I could buy a steam key on some site like GMG or whatever for some 45 bucks as usual. Instead this is chained to the worst client out there while costing insane 1799Kč ($85! in post-communist country!) and no way to get it for more acceptable price anywhere.

Oh well, gonna play Jedi Survivor in a few days instead.

I’ve enjoyed the first few hours on Xbox. Will see if it gets more complex but so far the combat isn’t as great as the setting or visuals. FLESH is the real star here.

Yes, combat so far in 1.5 hours is kind of meh. It’s slow swinging a lot of the weapons…so need more "fast’ weapons. The graphics are good. I bought it to play with my kid so will be doing that this weekend…might be a lot more enjoyable that way.

This doesn’t really feel like dead island early in; it’s more like a recognizable cousin.

It feels weird that so far I’ve just seen two small areas as opposed to the huge sprawling locations of Dead Island. I don’t know if that’s going to change but it’s certainly what I prefer (OTOH, the home design as you’re tearing through mansions in [where ever this is in LA] is amazing; it’s very pretty to boot). The ragdolling feels like a mixed bad. It’s entertaining, but I feel like I frequently have zombies slip out of my attacks because of odd ragdolls. Also, sometimes the little-est physics interaction seems to disrupt zombies significantly, but not other times. Zombie hit boxes for some of their attacks feel very, uh, generous. Still adjusting.

Honestly outside of the physics being it’s own thing the combat is an area where it feels most like Dead Island. Whether that’s a good thing or not is certainly a matter of taste. But it does kind of feel like the world has moved on a bit. I could do without picking up several dozen weapons that break easily too. But when you find something good (green or better) its definitely notable and feels good. There’s customization options (mods and such) but I barely have anything unlocked so I can’t really speak to how deep this gets.

There appears to be some ability to handle zombies via environmental hazards, certainly moreso than Dead Island and maybe even Dying Light.

Beat the first boss in the hotel. Took a few tries. Very souls like, lots of times dodging. Elden ring made me better but I will still never be an expert at these fights. Wonder how much harder later bosses will be.

I was watching a stream and there were people in the chat swearing blocking was better than dodging. I have no frame of reference to judge. But clearly getting skill cards to support whatever your defensive skill is will be very important (right now I just have “heal on dodge or block”). I am about to fight the hotel boss.

Nice where did you find that?

Shit I’m not sure. I believe I have looted a few skill cards just exploring though. I think it must have been in the zone where Emma’s house is, because I had this equipped before I even went to the hotel.

Good performance on all console versions, including last gen. Last gen 30fps. Current Gen 60fps.

This is definitely Dead Island / Dying Light 'Lite". It should run well as it was developed for last-gen. Doesn’t push tech anywhere near as much as Dying Light 2. Mirrors just blur, no reflections.

Also, ‘Alexa’ voice control. Tap a hotkey, the Alexa symbol pops up and you can taunt zombies by voice to draw one over.