Dead Island 2

I hope it at least has ray-tracing I can turn off!

I won’t be playing this until it’s on Steam, but maybe by that time I will have gotten all the way through Dying Light 2. Although I’m still not clear why I’d play this if I have Dying Light 2, especially given @Telefrog’s comment upthread about it being “more linear and less open”.

Ray tracing has been turned off for you in advance!

Yes, it’s a compartmentalized, less ambitious. It does have modifier cards you collect and can use to customize your ‘slayer’ character.

The overarching narrative is paper thin, so almost no annoying cut scenes thus far. DL2 gameplay and parkour is still better, but more zombie gore in this one.

Wait, did you make that room look that way, or did it come that way? Because if Dead Island 2 lets you redecorate otherwise pristine rooms with that level of gore, I suddenly see the appeal. As well as why Dying Light 2 just got a patch to supposedly improve gore and dismemberment.

That shot isn’t my handiwork, I lifted it from a review site. But I’ve left lovely rooms w/ a similar organic Feng Shui after a zombie encounter.

Someone post a before-and-after shot!

@tomchick did you know they released custom dlc for you?

I found it in my inventory earlier today. Probably one of the level up rewards, not looted

The movie studio fight was awesome, if a bit easy. Loved the bug :)

And then I got to Dillon. Couldn’t beat him. A dozen or more tries. During one of the fights a flaming zombie dropped a blue uzi. And that just wrecked Dillon. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think I played in excess of 8 hours of DI2 yesterday. It’s got its flaws but I’m getting my moneys worth.

Ya. My kid and I play coop. After each mission i usually go in solo and do some side
Missions. Coop for the campaign, side for some other pretty good solo play. I like it.

This thing looks pretty good. The original game was kind of jank city, so I didn’t get all that far in it-- Dying Light (by the same developer) was a huge improvement.

I gather this game was in development hell, went back to the drawing board at least once, and switched devs? I’ll definitely wait for a sale.

The game was moved from Yager to Sumo and then in 2019 to the TimeSplitters studio, which is nowadays called Deep Silver Dambuster Studios.

Dying Light 2 went through something similar, as I recall. Lots of different iterations of the same game. This seems to be a trend currently in the game development of major games.

How so?

I don’t recall it being janky. Actually it was kind cool how you could play multiplayer with someone at an extremely different character level and the zombies would scale differently for each player.

Liking it so far. Dambuster did a pretty good job of capturing the mostly-melee style of the originals.

Well, it never crashed on me that I recall, but there were things like throwing your weapon (I picked the player character who could do that) and having the thrown weapon end up inaccessible to the player even when it was on the ground, you could stand right over it and see it identified, but couldn’t pick it up.

Also the weapon degradation was crazy exaggerated. Things broke if you breathed on them, it seemed. That turned me off on the game after maybe 5-6 hours. Too much crafting*, not enough zombie fighting. Dying Light was a massive improvement in every aspect AFAIC.

*and remind me, you couldn’t craft on the fly in a menu, could you? You had to go to a workbench or whatever.

The original DI game and its expansion were sorely underrated. Lots of fun to be had there, and you could play the games as rouguelike or survival horror and ignore the main quest, at least for a while. Dying Light was an improvement, adding parkour and zip-lining joy and is justifiably considered a classic. Would probably never play a Resident Evil game but would likely play DI2 if it ends up in the discount bin (first reviews don’t seem too good but who knows? Maybe they hated the originals thus their opinions are worthless).

I’m currently attempting to finish up the massive and interminable (and actually rather bad but slick enough to want to finish) open world of Red Dead Redemption 2, and I’m finally discovering that the concept of open world in games is not necessarily a good thing. The reviewer’s disappointment here seems to stem from DI2 not being open world but I’m realizing a little linearity never hurt anyone after all, something the reviewer is realizing too it seems.

I was all out open world for around 10 years and didn’t like any linear type games like God of War but I’m so burned out on open world that a game like DI2 which is linear but has decent areas to explore is perfect for me. I can run a campaign mission, then take a break with some side missions in some of the limited areas I was at earlier in the game. Just a lot less to think about.

You’re certainly not alone in this opinion and change of heart. After playing things like Oblivion and Fallout 3 when they first came out, I was enthralled and all about the open world approach. After 10-15 years of it, I’m finally ready to move on and not automatically frown on the idea of games that are linear, with a more streamlined mechanic, which doesn’t by any means necessarily mean “on-rails” (which I still hate, ie the first couple of hours of Metro Exodus which supposedly becomes open world afterwards, but, man, that initial “on-rails” stuff wore me down within minutes).

You just have to think carefully what being “open world” brings to a game, in each case.

If the game is about opening zombie’s heads with a golf club, does it matter if said opening heads happens in a linear or open structure?