Dead Space (no spoliarz)

Wouldn’t you just delete the download to get rid of it?

Doesn’t work- when you try and load a save that had that suit you’ll get a message that the save is corrupted and you need to re-download the DLC.

Engaging is a good word for it, but I don’t know about “great.” I keep expecting to run into some masterful set pieces like you can find in the games (and movies) that the Dead Space developers pinched its gameplay and aesthetics and storytelling devices from. I’m on chapter 3 and I have yet to see one.

I think I’m at about the same place, and I found at least 3 that I found really cool. Possibly four.

Interesting. Can you post some specifics in the spoiler thread?

Yeah, okay, I just finished chapter 5. That was a good one.

I finished this very, very early in the morning today. I will post some further impressions in the spoiler thread later. I really enjoyed my time with it, but the story didn’t really resolve itself until a little too late, and the McGuffin hunt started to get old around Chapter 8. Still one of the best games I have played this year.

I’ve played the first two chapters and I’m loving it. It’s basically a perfectly executed Doom 3 (which I loved as well) with more configuration elements and slower combat. What surprises me is the generally positive vibes around this game whereas Doom 3 got a lot of flack. Is it because it reminds people of System Shock? Oddly enough, I found both SS games rather boring.

This game reminded me very much of System Shock 2-it wasn’t quite as good (at least as good as SS2 is in my memory), but yeah, the comparison was very obvious to me.

I enjoyed the six-issue comic mini-series that lead up to this point.

Anybody else think Issac’s helmet was inspired by Jack Kirby’s “Celestials”?

No? Just me me then, carry on.

Ah, I knew it reminded me of something…

I’m partway into chapter three. It’s a fun game, and is clearly copping from every horror game source it can, from System Shock, to Doom 3, to Gears of War.

There some passion here, but it also has a touch of corporate soulessness to it. A little too polished for its own good perhaps.

In the end it seems to lack true synergy, feeling exactly equal to the sum of its parts.

That said, it’s got a lot of parts.

I played quite a bit of Dead Space this weekend and I’m still really really enjoying it. I think I’m in Chapter 7 right now. There was a very irritating divergence in Chapter 5, but other than that short bit, I’ve loved the game. I really want to talk in more specifics than this, but as this is a NO SPOILERS thread, I’m going to jump over to the other Dead Space thread to get that out of my system.

So, I picked this up for the PC to tide me over until Fallout comes out, and after playing for about ten minutes, I’m sort of regretting it. My first impressions are pretty negative: the controls, in particular, scream “bad console port.” Floaty, jerky mouse in the menus, slow, laggy movement in the game. The field of view is really tiny–it makes BioShock’s widescreen FOV seem expansive by comparison. And your character takes up, like, a third of the screen. He’s HUGE, and placed poorly, so I constantly feel like I want to see what’s behind him. Gears of War got this right, setting the camera so that you were looking over your character’s shoulder (and giving you a FOV of more than, like, 5 degrees). Dead Space has the camera at lower-back level, so I feel sort of like a midget following my character around.

I’m trying really hard to like it, but the game controls like ass, and the constricted FOV is giving me motion sickness (and I never get motion sickness from shooters. Like, not ever). I’ll give it another go, but honestly, I’m on the verge of chucking the damn thing in the trash. Is there some sort of INI editing that can make this stuff less awful?

:( Sad because I suspect that I just wasted forty bucks).

In the other thread some people have mentioned that turning off vsync helps the control issue.

Yeah, I just tried that, and it fixes the mouse problem in the menus, though the character control is still slushy as all hell. And now I get tearing, so it’s sort of a wash.

I’m wishing that I could slap whoever designed the UI, as well. I love how M opens my annoying-to-read map but doesn’t close it (it doesn’t do anything else in the map screen–it just does nothing if you hit it again). To close the map, you have to hit tab. But that’s not consistent, either, because in some screens (like the bench) you have to hit ESC to exit–tab doesn’t work there. And I laughed out loud the yes/no dialog that you get when you upgrade a weapon, where E is yes and F is no. Who came up with that? Were they dropping acid at the time?

I’m pretty close to quitting now. I feel obligated to keep at it a bit more, since my money is spent at this point, but so far it’s playing like a shitty version of DOOM 3. I can’t believe so many people on this forum dissed DOOM 3 but love this game, because it’s the same damn game, only with less atmosphere and shittier controls. And I swear to god the field of view is less than 90 degrees. It’s like I’m looking through the slit on a jousting helmet. I need to get in a square room so that I can actually measure it.

Ben, do you like movies with gladiat^^^^ scary things in them? Have you ever noticed that you can’t see as much as you’d like to? Since the camera is too close to the actor, and you end up feeling, a little, well, claustrophobic?

In all seriousness, Dead Space is working the RE4 shooter vibe, rather than the run&gun FPS. The combat is balanced for this, but you have to take it as a different type of game - this isn’t bioshock.

Since you’ve already spent your money, you might want to try using a 360 controller with the PC version, as the interface works quite nicely on the console, and what you’re describing sounds like a real mess.

I do! Both types. ;)

Have you ever noticed that you can’t see as much as you’d like to? Since the camera is too close to the actor, and you end up feeling, a little, well, claustrophobic?

Yeah. But this isn’t a movie, it’s a game. And the limited field of view doesn’t make me feel scared–it just makes me feel annoyed. That is counterproductive to maintaining horror atmosphere, because it’s hard to feel scared when you are cursing at the game. There are plenty of scary games that manage to build tension without making you view the world through a toilet paper tube. Frankly, this game just isn’t very scary so far, and the limited field of view isn’t helping.

In all seriousness, Dead Space is working the RE4 shooter vibe, rather than the run&gun FPS. The combat is balanced for this, but you have to take it as a different type of game - this isn’t bioshock.

Oh, I get that. My complaint isn’t that it’s not balanced. In fact, so far it’s been pretty easy. Wander a bit, beasties pop out of monster closet, shoot off their arms and call it good. Hopefully it gets a little more dangerous, because so far the scary aliens don’t seem to be much of a threat.

Since you’ve already spent your money, you might want to try using a 360 controller with the PC version, as the interface works quite nicely on the console, and what you’re describing sounds like a real mess.

It is a mess. I don’t have the Windows adapter for my 360 controllers, and I purchased it for the PC specifically because I prefer to use mouse and keyboard in this sort of game, anyway.

You can force V-Sync in your driver settings to get rid of the tearing.

I found the balance to be pretty much spot on playing on hard difficulty. After the first couple of chapters I was almost perpetually on the edge of running out of resources without actually running out.

I think that’s probably the way to go. I played through on medium, and had lots of spare kit throughout the game. Unfortunately, as I contemplate playing through a second time, I have to either start from scratch at Hard or Impossible, or play through Medium again with amped up weapons. I wish they hadn’t locked new game+ to each individual difficulty level. Still, this puts me back to Fatal Frame 3, which isn’t entirely a bad thing…