Dead Space: normal thread

Carried over from the spoiler thread

That’s where it feeling like a capable imitation of Resident Evil 4 really helped me out: the same “logic” that helped me on later playthroughs for that game is immediately apparent with this one.

Out of curiosity, have you upgraded the suit at all? I think the air upgrade is useless, since there are only two moments in 7 chapters so far where air has been an issue, and I either had an air can or a refill station to ameliorate the problem. I am curious if the 25 extra HP is worth the three nodes that it would take to get it and was looking for some opinions on that.

Well, I know up through the part I’ve played (ch3) I’ve been really grateful for the one air upgrade I put into it, and since those upgrades carry over with your suit, it seems like a very easy choice to make (that is, once I am done maxing out damage on the cutter).

In contrast, I have a tough time justifying upgrades to the slowdown and tk abilities. I never use them except in puzzles, they just don’t feel natural when I’m in the heat of combat (and the one time I tried using them, with those little bastards that jump all over you, it only hit half of them, who promptly jumped me as soon as the rest of them had mauled me).

Am I the only one that really likes the upgrade stuff? It’s simple, but they have arranged the nodes so that its almost impossible to overpower anything early on and you really do have to focus on 2 or at most 3 things to upgrade them effectively. That and the inventory management give me a nice, warm and fuzzy rpg feeling.

No, I like it as well. It seems a nice visual representation of staggering out a weapon’s upgrade, a refinement of RE4’s “you can only upgrade each aspect of each gun up to a point until you get to x level”. I’m not sure whether I love or hate the power spheres also opening certain doors. I realize it’s not a big deal, but I’m not sure I enjoy that.

The inventory management is very much in the spirit of the briefcase shenanigans in RE4 (that is, the scarcity of space seems well designed rather than cruel and unusual), with the bonus of adding in the old “magic trunk” system from old REs. That said, I upgraded to the bonus DLC armor (the free one) as soon as I figured out how to, because otherwise you would have seen me backtracking all over the place to sell/store every last leftover. Once again, having many playthroughs with RE4 left me with no doubts on what I can “cheat” on and still enjoy the game: whenever I did replays with the upgraded inventory it was a gameplay compromise I could stand.

Also, to build on what you said earlier: the posters are not my favorite (although many of the ads are fine if generic), and I’m not sure how I like the “scripted incidents behind glass” moments. Many of the monster ones I enjoy, but I would prefer they feel less triggered by invisible lines in the room. But the passenger on passenger ones I’ve seen so far have felt very forced in terms of the environment. Maybe I’ll get used to it, but I preferred the “no survivors” feel the game had until I realized those were becoming more common.