Deadpool 2 - What do you get on International Chimichanga Day?

I’m excited about this! If we’re being honest, maybe too excited. But hey, I can’t wait for the inevitable* movie: X-Men vs. X-Babies!

*note: completely evitable

Oh wow! I thought this movie would be meh, just ok… (was just ok with first one), was COMPLETELY suprised! It has alot more sincerity that feels earned than most comic book movies… dareisay i liked this equally with Infinity War maybe a tad more! And I didn’t even like Deadpool the comic character! Domino was boring in the comics but she was really cool in the movie! and finally they did a Juggernaut right! and Brolin, wth, two movies in a row doing pretty well for himself! Cable was more interesting to me than Thanos… imo.

I’m positively surprised by this. Action comedy and comedy is a tough thing to follow up on because there’s the notable risk of it becoming stale and repetitive, and so my expectations weren’t too high going into the movie.

While DP2 regularly retreats to familiar grounds (the intro descriptions, toddler limbs, TJ Miller doing his insult shtick and so on), it manages to be consistently funny - more so than the original which couldn’t maintain that level during the parts where Wade is receiving the super-treatment. The additions to the cast (however brief some of them were) were overall nice, and Zazie Beetz’s Domino was really fun to watch. Can’t say the same about Julian Dennison though who made me realize that I liked Hunt for the Wilderpeople probably mostly because of Sam Neill and Rachel House.

The one aspect I had higher expectations for was the action itself - mostly due to David Leitch’s involvement. It’s overall fine, and I liked the whole prison transport chase sequence, but it never has this specific signature that John Wick or Atomic Blonde had.

I found it interesting that a movie that is so self-aware and never shy to refer to other movies or pieces of pop-culture failed to comment on how similar the plot premise is to Looper. Looper spoiler: grim old dude travels back in time to hunt down a kid with super-powers who will eventually turn into a maniacal and murderous asshole in the future, but then won’t due to an act of kindness.

I thought he was supposed to be unlikable, giving the audience a real question as to whether he would be killed or not. I was okay with either outcome, myself.

Watched this with the GF yesterday, and we both loved it. This, along with Thor 3, is basically the only superhero fare she’s at all interested in anymore, so it was nice to have something we could enjoy together.

Would have loved to have seen more of X-Force 1.0, but really dug the whole thing. One joke near the very end did start to drag, but I got the impression that was very intentional, in the vein of Family Guy’s overly drawn out moments.

I was a little sad reading online that winds seem to be shifting in favor more of setting up the X-Force franchise than getting right back to it for DP3, but I’m really glad to have had these two films, if nothing else :)

I just now need a Domino film. Please. Pretty please.

I think possibly my favorite gag in the entire movie was the operatic Juggernaut theme. But lots of good stuff in general.

Here’s Kevin Smyth talking about the use of rape in films https://youtu.be/6C-16N2fgEQ?t=4m3s (lifted from a Good Twitter Thread about its presence as a mere plot device in many films; the thread touches on the Deadpool fridging and discusses it as lazy writing: https://twitter.com/ashleylynch/status/1002058975355912192)

Just got back from the theater, and have to say this was the most enjoyable movie experience I’ve had in many years. Many laugh-out-loud moments, near-teary-eyed compassionate moments, multiple mutant-powers on display, just good, fun, funny shit throughout. I found myself wishing for a pause button quite a few times so I could really bust out with laughter without missing anything. The Juggernaut/Colossus fight was epic!

Loved it!

We saw this yesterday and thought it was great. Nothing really new to add, just good stuff overall.

I’m surprised that people got upset at the girlfriend getting killed. I must be a super sap, but I found the reunion pretty touching.

Think of it more as a “Latest in a long line of increasingly problematic script decisions” rather than an outright blatantly bad move on the part of this particular movie. When they got called on it and claimed to have never heard of the term, which did huge rounds in the comics fandom awhile back, including via a notable Deadpool writer, that seemed odd, given how “clued-in” the production team seems to be with the fandom otherwise.

In a lot of kind of funny/surprising ways, the Deadpool movies are pretty thoughtful/progressive (e.g., first onscreen gay romance in these superhero flicks), despite the constant potty humor and ultraviolence. So giving in to a kinda crummy scriptwriting impulse that also has some sexist baggage tied to it was sort of a departure from how well they handled lots of other stuff.

I stopped reading at the word “problematic.” I no longer accept it.

Problematic privilege toxic maculinity

I now have a secret power to prevent @kerzain from reading anything mean I write about him. Surely i won’t abuse this new power of mine. Muahahahaha

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH I can’t hear you!

If all else fails you can blame it on me.

-xtien

You really should have edited your script for DP2 better, Dingus. God, how could you be such a sexist wang?!

OH RIGHT BECAUSE ALL WANGS ARE INHERENTLY SEXIST DUH #FIGHTTHEPATRIARCHY

So I love my wife. She is very special to me, for many reasons. This is one.

The local 7-11 had this as a Slurpee ad. When she saw it she asked the manager of the store to buy it. He said no, when the promotion was over she could have it.

And now I have it. Thanks honey. I love you.

So which one of you is now the third wheel?

Your wife is a treasure! Keep her!