Dear Nintendo: WHAT THE FUCK?!

So, maybe I’m a little bitter over the whole thing.

That’s one way of looking at it. Here’s another: my TV doesn’t even have S-Video in, let alone component, so if I buy a console, I sure don’t want to pay extra for those outputs, know what I mean?

But surely you would have expected to play progressive scan games on an RGB-connected cube! You must have expected that because Nintendo knows what you think.

You’re right, that extra .20 cents you paid would have really broken the bank. It sure seems to be preventing the other console manufacturers from coming close to Nintendo’s clear domination of the market, enabled by their cut-rate consoles. OH WAIT.

Any TV that costs over $200 made in the past like 5 years has S-video in.

Anyway, the problem isn’t that Nintendo isn’t doing it, it’s that the other consoles have component, which more or less reveals Nintendo’s reasoning as a lie. They figure that people who have component capable TVs will be willing to give them $70 or whatever. Simple as that.

You have to buy a 30 dollar kit to play DVDs on the XBox. The PS2 hard drive requires purchase of a 50 dollar game. They all have their little scams. Whatever.

You do get what you pay for, though. The Gamecube pro-scan output is the nicest of all three consoles.

Well, if it’s .20 cents, I guess I could deal with it. But it seems to me that it would raise the price by more than that… I mean, say it made gamecubes cost $30 more. Worth it for people with nice TV’s, not worth it for me.

My TV is older than that. How is Nintendo’s reasoning “a lie?”

Because the other consoles do it? It’s the same sort of tricksy little scam as Microsoft’s DVD remote.

Fucking 70 dollar cable? How about $29.95.

Wait… I don’t follow that logic. Nintendo, assuming my logic is their logic, says “no, we aren’t going to include that feature that not everyone can use, we’re going to leave it out to drop the price of the console, and people who want it can buy it seperately.” Subsequently, the gamecube is released for $100 less than the other consoles. Wouldn’t that mean that their logic is proved correct?

For those defending Nintendo on Qt3…

Don’t you idiots get it? Nintendo is the devil. They rape women, eat babies and throw their aluminum cans in the regular trash instead of recycling. Everything they do is evil. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will be assimilated and feel completely right with the one and only world view of video games.

The DVD remote is cheap, it’s the DVD license that costs and that’s why they left it out.

The DVD remote is cheap, it’s the DVD license that costs and that’s why they left it out.[/quote]

Ohh please. $30 for the DVD Remote is ripoff. Its the same as all other console accesories. There way overpriced(at least the official) to make up extra money.

I want everybody to stand up. Stand up and walk over to the window. Stand up and walk over to the window, open it and scream, “I’M MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!”

They’re also the only console manufacturer that’s profitable right now.

The DVD remote is cheap, it’s the DVD license that costs and that’s why they left it out.[/quote]
But they could have just let you use the controller (like the Ps2 does), right? Or does that still have to deal w/ a DVD license?

Just contact Nintendo, send them the GC and they will ship one with a component jack as a replacement.

They might even pay for all of the shipping. I have no idea.

But they could have just let you use the controller (like the Ps2 does), right? Or does that still have to deal w/ a DVD license?[/quote]
The DVD remote IR receiver has the DVD playback enabling “dongle” (for lack of a better word) in it. In theory, yes, they could have just included a basic dongle that unlocked DVD capability, but I don’t think the people who use an Xbox as their primary DVD player would’ve liked that

A better example on the Xbox might be the optical-out, which is only available when you buy the component cable. (from the included vs. not-included standpoint only)

And that’s why they’re so loved all over the world!!! :P