Dear Nintendo: WHAT THE FUCK?!

And that’s why they’re so loved all over the world!!! :P[/quote]

Eh, you know, people love a winner. ;) ;) ;)

Think you’ve got it bad? Here in PAL Land we only get Cubes with RCA. No S-Video, no component (unless you manage to convince the idiot distributors here that they do, in fact, have them or just import one from Lik-Sang).

Stuff it, I’m going to import an NTSC Gamecube and buy everything from www.dvdboxoffice.com. At least that way I might get MP2 sometime before the apocolypse.

The DVD remote is cheap, it’s the DVD license that costs and that’s why they left it out.[/quote]
But they could have just let you use the controller (like the Ps2 does), right? Or does that still have to deal w/ a DVD license?[/quote]\

MS stated that a lot of the cost of the remote was the license. That cost doesn’t scale or get cheaper because it’s older tech.

You can also get optical with just S-video, not to mention that the 3rd party adapters are dirt cheap.

You can also get optical with just S-video, not to mention that the 3rd party adapters are dirt cheap.[/quote]

His point is the same- you have to buy an additional component to get Optical Out- PS2 has it integrated into the console itself.

You can also get optical with just S-video, not to mention that the 3rd party adapters are dirt cheap.[/quote]
Sorry, I wasn’t aware it was available with the S-video cable.
(edit: Wait, you still need to buy the Advanced AV Pack…)

Jeez, I even edited the original comment to put the disclaimer “from the included vs. not-included standpoint only”. I thought it was a better comparison than the DVD remote since component output on the Gamecube is only available with a different cable, much in the same way a digital out is only available on the Xbox with a different cable

Speak for yourself, matey. Here in European PAL land we definitely get RGB output. I know that I’m using my Cube on the RGB switcher with a cheap 3rd party RGB cable.

Apparently we’re the only region that gets simple & cheap RGB output on a GameCube, though…

Bah! Shafted again! ;)

His point is the same- you have to buy an additional component to get Optical Out- PS2 has it integrated into the console itself.[/quote]

True, but all console have extras and trade-offs. With the Xbox you don’t have to buy a memory card, with the PS2 it plays DVDs by default, with the Cube you can use it as a purse ;)

DaveC- Not to call Microsoft a liar, but that stinks of bullshit.

Boss- How come Nintendo is the only console with you disgusting fanboys? Grow up.

They’re also the only ones thinking short-term business lately (no online play, no DVD player, no rumble, etc.)

His point is the same- you have to buy an additional component to get Optical Out- PS2 has it integrated into the console itself.[/quote]

True, but all console have extras and trade-offs. With the Xbox you don’t have to buy a memory card, with the PS2 it plays DVDs by default, with the Cube you can use it as a purse ;)[/quote]
Sweet fancy moses! I didn’t bring it up to say “look what System X has that the System Y doesn’t!”

Initial position taken earlier by someone in the thread:
The Gamecube needs a special cable to enable progressive scan, much like the Xbox needs a special remote to enable DVD playback

My modification to that position:
The Gamecube needs a special cable to enable progressive scan, much like the Xbox needs a special cable to enable optical output

I have a 10 year old TV that doesn’t do pro-scan and a receiver with one optical input that doesn’t do Dolby Digital 5.1, so it doesn’t matter to me either way

They’re also the only ones thinking short-term business lately (no online play, no DVD player, no rumble, etc.)[/quote]
No rumble? Didn’t they introduce rumble, back in the N64 days?

Wavebird.

WoM will find any reason to slag Nintendo that he can.

Geez… complaining about a feature that’s missing in a product that the other two don’t even offer (speaking strictly about 1st party products) would be kinda petty.

Go read recent articles on the low profit margins in DVD players. Part of that cost is the license.

I just ordered my component cables from Nintendo’s store. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the low sales of the cables were directly caused by them not being available in stores. Then there’s the cost, and what’s up with taking the feature out in the middle of the system’s lifespan? Obviously the rate of HDTV adoption must be growing, so they decided to wait until the demand for progressive scan was more widespread (compared to system launch) and then remove that feature. Am I suddenly living in a bizarro world where technology regresses?

Anyway, I’m getting my cables and I have a launch system so I am happy.

They’re also the only ones thinking short-term business lately (no online play, no DVD player, no rumble, etc.)[/quote]
No rumble? Didn’t they introduce rumble, back in the N64 days?[/quote]

My apologies. I should have been more clear. It isn’t included in the standard GC controllers, unless Wavebirds have become the defacto standard out of the box now. My point is that it’s another cost cutting move.

And Boss, a.k.a. Mr. Long, I have stated in the past that I do find Nintendo to be a good software publisher.

Wait, I thought cube controllers rumbled, and the wavebirds don’t? Did they change that, too?

You are correct, no rumble in the Wavebird. There is rumble in the stock controller.

I use Nyko Airflo controllers on all the consoles, and the Nintendo one is the only one that cannot run the fan and the rumble simultaneously. If you have rumble on, the fan cuts out when the rumble is triggered. Lame. Still love the Cube, though.