Death Note... the live action movie!

Is the death note manga story line done or is it still going on? I see that they are going to release books 11 and 12 the middle of next year but how many more are there after that?

This should have been a link to Cowboy Bebop or Berserk.

Here’s your NSFW Berserk. We won’t discuss the other one.

I vehemently disagree

Did someone mention Utena?

Errr…i’ve been watching the anime of this, just stopped at #11(#12 just came out) and i’m wondering if it’s safe to see the movie? Or will it reveal too much of the story?

It’s safe. The movie essentially ends where 11 does, and some events have been changed so the two don’t really match up the whole time. The ending scene of the movie was awesome, and I think it probably trumps just about any of the insane plans they came up with in the anime, with the exception of the Penbar story, which the movie also did an excellent job with.

This thread totally inspired me to go get the DVD of the first four episodes of the anime up in Chinatown at lunch. They’d just sold out of the live action disc, which is probably for the best. I’ve been hooked on Viz’s translation of the manga and they’re only up to vol. 7…

Well I picked this up recently, having loved the fifteen or so episodes of the anime I have seen. Got about an hour in and had to stop, I just wasn’t enjoying it.

The movie to me seems to have missed the point. The point that really got me was the introduction of the love interest for Kira to play off, but then this means Ruyk is stuck in the background without much to do because all the back and forth is happening between Kira and some woman. Nor did I feel that Kira was particularly well established as a character early on, I believe the bit in the bar was supposed to establish some sympathy towards the character and make him more than a murdering psycho, but the editing was poor and it wasn’t until he runs across the death note that I could place it in the timeline.

Little niggles abound, a personal irritant being when he confronts the agent on the bus, accusing him of following him. Kira is supposed to be a cold, calculating individual. Why did he do this? As he already had a plan in motion what was the purpose of this move? Another is when Kira’s father says that L is no better than Kira, again this is an artificial creation of conflict which isn’t necessary as the anime (and thus presumably the manga) handles the entire setup far more smoothly and still manages to generate some distrust without this crowbar manoeuvre.

I can’t really pin it on any one moment, but all the time the film seemed to me to miss the point of Death Note.

Tonight, I went into this movie blind (and by “this movie” I mean a 2017 Death Note movie on Netflix with Willem Dafoe and the spaz from Kenzo World, not whatever movie or comic book this thread was about). I thought the story was interesting enough, although several of the story beats were silly, but I assume I can just mark that down as a remnant of the source material. It was a passable 1.5 hours, although maybe I could have used more focus on immediate/local people/acquaintances and less on world-spanning events and consequences, but again, that can probably be attributed to the source material.

One thing that kept nagging at me throughout the movie was the soundtrack. Aside from the variety known songs used, every single time some electronic/synth stuff showed up in the mix I kept getting annoyed at how much it seemed to borrow from the signature sound of Nine Inch Nails… I knew Trent Reznor never scored this movie, so it just kinda irked me. Well, when the credits rolled I saw that the music guy was none other than Atticus fucking Ross, long-time Reznor/NIN collaborator/co-writer (and now band member). Well geez, I guess that explains that.

The Netflix movie actually departs from the source material in some significant ways and it’s entirely likely the bits you thought were silly were invented for the movie. I mean, it’s manga/anime so it’s not like it entirely avoids the usual tropes, but the manga at least was pretty well thought through and IMO holds together significantly better. I still liked the movie, mind, which I significantly chalk up to Adam Wingard being a pretty talented director.

Yuck. I thought this movie was terrible. I don’t think the anime or manga are untouchable art either. They’ve got their own share of flaws and as @malkav11 said, there’s plenty of trope-mining. But this movie was awful. I know that’s partly because they tried to cram a million hours of anime into one movie, but I think Wingard just collected a check and ran. Bad casting, (with the exception of Dafoe) bad effects, bad script, and bad music. Utterly forgettable.

Wait, is the movie you guys are talking about different from the one that aired 14 years ago or what.

Edit: I see that it indeed is very different.