Death Stranding 2 - Now with old Norman Reedus

I did not play the first one and I have no idea what I just watched.

Playing the game doesn’t help with that.

I played the first one and it’s in my top 10 games ever. I’ll get the sequel day one, no questions asked.

Most things in the trailer only make some sense if you played the first one. But others might only make sense after you play DS2, and some never will. ;)

So.whats the verdict on the first on (fully aware I’m asking in a thread about the sequel)? Worth playing? I know very little about it. Some kind of walking simulator I’ve heard. Would it be fun to play on steam deck? What’s the general gameplay loop like?

It’s one of my favorite games ever. Very striking direction, some great ideas in terms of gameplay (it shouldn’t work, but it does somehow) and some very interesting twists in the story. It almost makes sense by the end, and there’s so much intention and effort behind it that it’s commendable.

It’s a walking simulator, in a sense? More like a delivery simulator. Imagine you’re a courier in a sometimes VERY hostile environment, with little if any options to defend yourself (for a lot of different reasons that are story related). Imagine a post-apocalyptic mystery that has some very striking set pieces. Now imagine the whole thing is very well directed, with perfect use of gameplay, music and visuals to convey meaning and metaphors alike, to balance tension with release. That would be Death Stranding. It’s like an onion, because it has many, many layers, and it makes you cry if you peel deep enough.

I love it. I fully plan on playing it again at some point. And I wish I could play it again for the first time because there’s so much that I loved about it, so many moments that have such an impact when you see them for the first time.

I have now played the first one and the video still makes little sense. But at least it now makes little sense in the context of Death Stranding.

I have very conflicted feelings about DS. It was the dullest game I couldn’t stop playing. Until the end, when I wanted it to be over and races through the frustrating final episodes. Now there’s a part of me that kind of wants to replay it.

That just looks completely baffling to me. I guess that’s the point.

Kojima gonna Kojima.

Love it. The puppet!

Very Kojima, yes. Looking forward to it. I loved Death Stranding.

I recently finished Death Stranding (Director’s Cut) and while I really enjoyed the gameplay parts, and even the overall story, it’s just so chock full of Kojima bullshit, it was really hard to stomach by the end. The dude needs an editor. And a co-writer. And a UI designer.

In watching that trailer, I’m think I’m done here. Stupid neck gloves? Guitar weapon?

I think there’s probably something good here, but Kojima is just so tonally incoherent.

I assume this must be art or something.

Maybe if they include some of the stuff Kojima is snorting in the collector’s edition, otherwise hard pass.

The best news is that he’s gonna do a Totally Not Metal Gear after DS2

Did I play Death Stranding? Yes.
Did I enjoy Death Stranding? Also yes.
Did I one day log off from Death Stranding and never, ever pick it up again? 100% yes.

It frustrated me as there was so much I really loved. A triple A walking simulator where I could just wander around with my backpack, deliver stuff and sort of groove on the cool landscapes was right up my street.

Then it got ruined with combat and raiders and such. I would have been so happy if it had just been me wandering around and much less of a ‘story’.

A little while back the Criterion Collection invited Kojima into their closet to pick out some movies–Japanese classics, but I’m not familiar enough with Japanese cinema to judge if they’re avant garde or what.