Death Stranding doesn't just have Norman Reedus. It has everyone!

Wow, you guys weren’t kidding about the ziplines. I didn’t really understand the gushing until I unlocked them because the word “zipline” doesn’t conjure an image in the mind that fully encompasses the in-game reality. Went back to the first area and am busily making a network that will take me from one end to the other in, what, a minute? Crazy.

Yep, I still regret all the time I spent on roads, I mean sure I got lots of likes, but they were totally outclassed once ziplines were an option.

I agree. It’s a little ridiculous how good they are. Will I ever use a vehicle again? I’m honestly not sure. They should have saved these for the endgame. What’s next, dirigibles??

You’ll still need roads for some long-distance deliveries, unless they’ve tweaked the game so that more of other’s ziplines appear in your session to make up the distance.

It’s not so much the long distance deliveries as the heavy ones. I got my zipline network to cover basically every delivery point by the end, and I only ended up using a handful of other people’s, because most of them didn’t mesh with where I wanted to go.

Yes, it seems to be a common complaint that online zip towers are not congruent with people’s own networks. I don’t, actually, understand people’s constructions some of the time. Bridges in particular are usually useful but often just in the middle of nothing for no particular reason that I can see. It’s not like they’re especially cheap to build (unlike ziplines).

Especially the people who put ziplines just below a ridge. Just 10 metres away would be great!

Haha, glad to see the board got on the topic of ziplines. It’s a rare open-world game that actually gets you planning out your own infrastructure network to “cheese” missions. It does make most missions easy as pie, but it’s not really cheating either. It’s more like front-loading the work, I guess.

IMO, I still preferred roads for most quantity/quality missions. You can load up your truck for half a dozen missions and just go on a milk run.

I suspected the game servers might not put them exactly in your map where the original user put them in their map, but within a 10m radius :P

What makes you say that? I think this would be atrociously bad for ladders and climbing anchors (and often bridges), and if it can handle precise placement of those structures why not the rest?

Also, I propose we start calling the towers “forks,” because they look like tuning forks (and they can play tunes).

Ah ha, the zip-line achilles heel: choral bandwidth. I’ll never have enough to make a complete network even just in the first map, it seems. They are insanely bandwidth hungry at 500 per fork.

You can do it, but you have to get a 4 and 5 stars pretty much everywhere first. And be as efficient as possible with your placement. I think I had 5 stars everywhere but one location when I completed that network, but I was pretty sloppy going to the wind farm.

Now that the price dropped on this I’m tempted to get it. it has the potential to be something cool, but also seems as likely to be not for me.

I myself really enjoyed it, and I finished it too! It is in my top 10 list this year for sure. :)

I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone should play it (at the right price). It’s a wild ride, and can be hugely impressive and wildly frustrating at the same time, both utterly mundane and marvellous. I also finished it and it’s absolutely not in any top ten lists, I think it’s definitely worth checking out.

FWIW, it’s exactly what I expected it to be from all the coverage, so it shouldn’t be a surprise how it hits you. For me, that means I loved the literal-walking-simulator gameplay and hated everything that got in the way of that, which was a lot.

I really enjoyed it, but it made me want to help Kojima design better inventory menu systems for his next game!

This was largely my experience too, though I was very impressed that he managed to wind up the story with a reasonable* conclusion at the end!

*Obviously some caveats apply as to what ‘reasonable’ means here, but certainly within the whole preposterous framework and thirty hours of eye rolling, he did quite well, imo. :P

Scientific Gamer observed that “America” in this game looks like Iceland, and it seems to be about the size of Iceland, too, so now I wish Kojima had just gotten over his America obsession and set it in Iceland.

Sorry, one last question…

So this is a literal walking simulator delivering stuff, but how much is it like walking simulators in the genre sense? I tend to not have the patience to play those because I get a bit antsy if I’m not ‘doing’ something. There have been some that I enjoyed enough, like Gone Home, even if I did get antsy at times with the slow pace and just walking / reading. Is there enough to do in Death Stranding to keep someone like me occupied?

Thanks!