DEATHLOOP by Arkane Lyon

Ok, 30/60/120.

The 30fps mode on consoles sucks too. Bad framepacing.

I’m cooling off on this game a lot quicker than I expected. There’s something very hollow about it. It shows a lot of promise on the surface but once I started digging into it, it feels very dated. The levels don’t feel particularly cohesive. The locked doors and passcode systems don’t feel satisfying and frequently I have no idea how to access them other than hope to stumble across a random document laid out in the open. Stealth is pointless a lot of the time and gunplay isn’t all that tight. And even if I wanted to play stealthy, my options so far seem limited to knifing and that crappy nail gun. Aside from Colt and Julianna, the characters and dialogue are all pretty bad. Some of the music is very annoying.

I was very into this for the first day or two I was playing and I am surprised and disappointed that I’m already starting to feel my enthusiasm slipping. I still have a lot to do including getting most of the slabs so I’m not ready to put it down yet but I really hope it has some pleasant surprises up it’s sleeve.

How does saving work…? Do I lose all progress of I don’t enter another district?

I think the game auto saves after every level. If you quit or crash (which has happened to me several times) before that, you’ll go back to the beginning of the level you were on.

Yes that is correct. There is no “save and quit”. Fine for current-gen consoles, shitty for PC.

Fine is a bit of an overstatement for consoles too, as if you have autoupdate enabled it will kill your session. Returnal had a similar run/save issue.

Not only that but like many PS5 games I’ve played, a “crash to desktop” is not all that rare.

Every game should have save and exit, dammit

Ahh, that sucks. Still better than PC though.

My kid has been playing this nonstop and has a lot of the powers now. I was supposed to get my PS5 from STOCKX yesterday but f’ing FEDEX still has it pending…gawd, they suck. So, we were going to invade each like crazy this weekend but now I wont have a chance and with her so far ahead and more by next week…but she still is all excited to throw me around. F you fedex.

The journal is pretty good as narrowing down where you need to go for whatever specific foozle you want to get or plot point you want to affect. You just have to figure out how to read the journal and figure out what you need to know, which can be a bit clunky.

Yeah, I totally get this and I was feeling the same. I think as you start to get more slabs, and specifically more slab upgrades to tune how you play any given run, you’ll get your second wind. My advice would be to find a slab you like and do a couple of runs on its Visionary, one after the other, to get its upgrades.

-Tom

I haven’t played it, but I know there are several powers in the game, some that can be used for stealth.

Thanks, it is good to know that there more depth to be found once I unlock some abilities. I suspect the game’s structure has a bit of a pacing problem. There is a point after you get through the basics, soon after you’ve seen all of the levels, where it just kind of drops you off without much gear or abilities. The guidance you’re given boils down to “OK now go kill everyone and get their stuff”. Several of these suggested paths have felt like running into a brick wall for one reason or another. I assume it just plateaus for a while at this point and you just have to push through until you figure out how to progress and get more mechanics to play with.

The journal is another gripe of mine. There is no organization to the journal entries as far as I can tell. No at-a-glance information that tells me who wrote this note or where/when I found it. Just a list of subject lines that I have to scroll through and parse myself to find what I’m looking for. Even the notes themselves often don’t have clear information about who wrote them or who they are writing to. And then on top of that, the general menu systems themselves function by moving a mouse cursor using a controller. Aw man, now my blood is boiling again.

I am so sucked into this game it’s almost unhealthy, Antihero went unplayed for over a day! How it that even possible??!!?!?!

Tonight I did a bit more story exploring, really like finding out who these people are and how they all connect to the loop.

Stealth in my final mission of the day didn’t go well. But the loots, THE LOOTS!

Are the servers down for anyone else this evening? I was gonna try out invasion, but no dice.

So, Juliana’s quest line: I found a note in Updaam that told me the garage opening to the archivist shack would be open in the afternoon, so I went there. Apparently, by doing that I skipped the whole first part of that questline which involved visiting the power station in The Complex (I don’t even know where that power station is) and turning off two power supplies. I’m trying to go back and figure out what the first part of that questline was, but I’d rather it didn’t let me skip steps.

Also, on the PS5 the resume feature suuuuucks. I paused and set my controller down then walked in the other room to get some coffee. When I came back, my son had suspended my game and started up one of his own games, which killed my game and I have to replay that whole part of the day.

Yeah. Consumers really need to make a stand. Games must support save and quit.

Th esport guy pose!