Death's Door - new action-adventure by the makers of Titan Souls

IIRC, the place you need to get to can be reached through the Witch’s estate. (Not the mansion.) As with all ranged upgrades, you’ll have to fight a boss for this one.

I’m stuck on a timed puzzle in the frozen canyon and it’s driving me crazy. Far and away my least favorite part of the game so far. Honestly making me kinda want to just walk away from the game.

EDIT: Just checked a walkthrough and there’s a more difficult version of that same bit immediately after. Yeah, I think I’m done with this game.

Wait, really? I thought that was the critical path. Damn it! Okay, that’s mech better. Thank you!

Honestly, I’m not sure what would’ve been worse–having a set of timed puzzles on the critical path, or beating my head against that wall and finally making it through only to find a dead end with such a small reward. That might’ve made me walk away for good!

EDIT: Never mind. Now I’m at the last boss. Glad I’m through the platforming under pressure stuff.

It actually only took me two attempts on the proper boss fight. It was just a matter of patience; focusing foremost on dodging attacks and getting hits where I could. The flame upgrade is a big help, too.

I’m still in the process of doing all the things required for it. Some of the quests–like the one mentioned by you–were fun to do. But I kinda lost interest when it comes to planting all the seeds because it seems busy work and I spent a good amount of time running through all the levels just to figure out which pots I already had used and which not…

The flame is great for bosses, if you’ve got the upgrade. It allows you to keep doing damage while you shift your focus to dodging and keeping your distance. I’d get a couple whacks in here and there when convenient to speed up the process, but most of it came from the flame.

With the endgame stuff, how much of that is combat vs platforming vs puzzle solving? The boss fights have been far and away my favorite part of the game, so I’m totally down for more of those. But if it’s just scouring the map for hidden passages, that might get a bit tiresome for me.

Got back into the game after 3 weeks, and the seed requirement for the final ending is becoming annoying at this point. Had I known that there’s a seed for every pot, I’d have planted seeds as I went along. This was not indicated, however, and being a resourceful player, I only planted seeds whenever I deemed it absolutely necessary, i.e. really low on energy or prior to a boss fight. Pothead’s pointers aren’t that much of a help because some of the maps like Overgrown Ruins are very cumbersome to navigate, and one can easily waste 30+ minutes running around looking for pots without much else to be done.

ezgif-6-0d5a007f0e9b

I started the game this morning.

I got past the first boss, and then various enemies in the next area. Including waves of magic users! I’m really loving the feel of this so far.

Thanks for the heads up to keep planting seeds as I go. Though I was nervous when I got TWO seeds and had found a place to plant them yet. I eventually found one, so I only have one seed now.

I just love how it feels, and the whimsy of the world around me. The way I roll, the way I do quick attack, the way I do the preparation for the heavy attack. It just feels really nice.

So after the garden, you go into the Witch’s manor, I found a soul and a yellow key, and opened a yellow key door, and found a soul, and another yellow key. I opened another yellow key door and found another soul, and another yellow key.

But there were only two yellow key doors that I could find. Where the heck is the last yellow key door? I’m completely stuck. I’ve been around and around this manor three or four times now to every room again and again.

Edit: looked up a walkthrough, I was missing a hallway in the first door.

I got my first achievement this morning. This game is just wonderful. I feel like throwing @ symbols around and inviting every Souls fan at Qt3 and saying “hey you guys, definitely check this out eventually”.

One thing I probably shouldn’t have done quite yet is that after I got my first ability, I went back through some of the older areas to look for areas I can unlock now that I have that ability. But in the two places I’ve been so far, I was able to make quite a bit of progress, but then need another ability to go further. So perhaps I should wait until I get all the abilities before I start the backtracking process.

Anyway, I was going to continue my Psychonauts 2 game this weekend after work today, but maybe I’ll put it on hold for one more week so that I can get through Death’s Door.

I’ve been keeping track of this thread, and I’ve been mulling over jumping in!

Everyone stop being so positive!

Wow this is only $16 on Humble. TEMPTING.

One of the things stopping me is the belief that it will almost certainly end up on Game Pass at some point.

My only knock against the game is that I wish it was longer. Would’ve loved for it to have been a full Dark Souls length game.

I was hoping for more of a Dark Souls “turns out what you thought was the main quest is just the start!” structure.

I beat Grandma and reached the jungle area.

I don’t know, for me hearing that it’s a short experience is a plus. Even if I love a game and want more of it, I still prefer a shorter experience than a longer one.