Deity Empires

In the in-game help, under tips it says:

“Attacking a unit in combat lowers its hit chance, avoidance and armor chance for the remainder of the combat round. Use expendable units to attack dangerous enemies first, lowering their hit chance; then move in stronger units to finish them off.”

From that I assume that units that have been attacked by melee troops (not just adjacent) have been distracted. I believe attacked units (whether done by melee or by ranged distracters) are vulnerable to backstabbing.

Okay, that’s how I read it from that tip as well, but it doesn’t seem to work. I only backstab if I have a friendly unit across from me. Bug maybe? I’d be curious if anyone else can get it to work, because it would make them a lot more viable!

Going from memory, I think back stabbers get the invisible trait option at some point making it easier to get them in position.

Yes I do

Sorry, I meant to ask: do you mean in starting formation? Or mid-battle? I know you can pre-set starting formation, but you probably already know that.

I asked the question on the Steam forums. We’ll see what we get.

During battle.

Okay, it looks like ‘distracting attack’ is an ability that certain backstabbing units can use to apply the “distracted” debuff. After a quick look at the unit compendium, the only unit I see that has it is the Grey Gnome Thief (see screenshot for ability description).

Random question of the moment this made me think of: If flanking a thing in this game?

There is a flanker trait that can take advantage of flanking, but either than that I don’t think so. With flanker and formation fighter and shield mastery, I think it’s enough.

I never noticed that… and I was using a grey gnome thief, doh! Thanks!

OK, I’ll keep an eye out for that, was just thinking it would be cool if you were rewarded for maneuvering behind an enemy to attack them from behind (i.e. units that have high movement getting the jump from behind on a unit they attack).

Yeah, I hear you. It somewhat works like that, but only for specific units, like ones with Backstabber that I was talking about earlier, or Flanker. Little different than AOW where everything from the flank is natively a bonus.

I had no idea! Thanks!

One of the things that really impressed me when MOM first came out was the UI and how you could right click on just about anything and get an info popup. The DE devs really did take that to heart as well when they based DE on MOM. You can right click a ton of stuff and get info, sometimes even when it doesn’t look like you can.

What impresses me least is the use of right click when left click seems more intuitive or left click does nothing. Select building to build…left click. Queue up another building left click. Oops, I really just want the second building, not the first…left click, nope…right click, info not cancel. Really, CTRL right click? WTF? I had to look it up.

And, yes the summoning circle is in your home base to start, can confirm it.

Right click to select a unit/stack also took forever for me to build the habit for. Right click to select and left click to move? Those monsters.

LOL, right click to select units on the map…I’ve been just hitting the arrow to cycle through units as I did not figure this out until you told me.

I find that I spend way too much time optimizing production and not enough getting care of the strategic side of things (ie, it sometimes feels like I am a manager rather than a wizard/warlord).
What settings could I change to focus less on building stuff and more on killing?

On a side note, it is one of the best maritime AI I have seen in a non space 4X. It keeps wrecking my ships, and it has been rather hard to sink its transports. I eventually had to give up on sea power, and use a portal to launch an invasion.

That’s interesting; we are having polar opposite experiences. In my game the AI builds nothing higher than galleys and sends out unprotected transports with high-level armies aboard. I keep them bottled up on their islands while I take them one by one.

What difficulty are you playing? And what map-type? I have one large continent with several large islands also. I guess I was lucky they started on the islands and declared war on me before actually settling on my continent.