Deity Empires

What was first?

Rimworld.

On sale for 21 dollars. Do we have a final verdict?

I dunno, they keep updating it constantly, so it doesn’t seem done as of yet.

Folks seem to like it a lot though.

40% off at the moment.

And it also feels way more complete than it did at launch. I clicked through a bunch of the ingame documentation and didn’t see a single “coming soon” placeholder!

But it still has some minor issues. For instance, one of the spells causes Fear. But what is fear? What does it do? Is it related to morale? I couldn’t tell. I was unable to find anything in the documentation or on a tooltip. Hopefully, that sort of stuff gets ironed out, because it’s clearly going for a Dominions level of available information and it feels mostly there. I’m definitely looking forward to digging in a bit more.

-Tom

Actually, there is a new Spell Compendium in the game and it list all the spells and what they do, including the Fear spell:

Instills fear into the enemy unit. While feared the unit cannot take offensive actions.

At the bottom of the right side of the screen click on the icon next to the one with a “?” on it that looks like a text list.

There is also a Unit Compendium on a second tab on the same screen that has info on all the units.

I am playing this too, and am wishing there was something to explain the mechanics a lot better. For example, how do I get more production in a city? I built a saw mill in a forest and put a worker on it, and it didn’t show any increase in production.

I accidentally hit the S key and then saw a whole thing where I could cast spells and increase my meditation or battle magic skills. What else am I missing?

I saw something about a mechanic about food your army loots and how you might want a cart to follow your army or something. The explanation wasn’t very good.

Is there a good wiki for this? I searched for a wiki and didn’t find anything. It seems like it could be a good game, but there is no manual or tutorial and the in-game help doesn’t explain everything. IE: After a battle it may say I got 1 or 2xp points. What is this for?

I would agree, this game does not make the learning curve very easy. I have been very frustrated many times.

To the best of my memory and understanding:

Production comes from buildings in your city. Resources come from such things as worked tiles with saw mills and forests, and battle loot, and especially in the beginning terraforming forests downward from dense to regular to light to none. If done outside your city radius (including battle loot) you need to bring the resources back to your city. You can always check in your city interface to see how many resources you have stockpiled, and you can empty any unit’s resources into a nearby city using the transfer icon. Particularly your builder unit or whatever it is called, the one who does the terraforming.

In any case, X production requires X resources. If you have 50 production but only 40 resources, you only get 40 production done that turn.

In battle, your units get XP for kills, but they also split some XP after the battle, which is what you are seeing in the battle report.

I’m tempted to grab it, but since I haven’t really dived in to Dominions 5 yet I should hold off.

I am too. I am tempted to vote for it for request Wednesday because it appears Tom has played It.

But is it fully cooked?

I’d say no since they are still adding major features. They’ve just last week added evolving units (baby dragons evolve into dragons with XP, etc.) and there’s more on the way. Here’s most of the major stuff that’s still to come:

1. Hero units
  2. Magic Gem System
  3. Advanced Deity Diplomacy
  4. City and Deity Advisers
  5. New Victory Condition

I’m looking forward to the addition of heroes the most.

Hmm, I thought that hero units were supposed to be normal units that leveled up a lot and got good gear.
It would be nice to have a unit that starts off somewhat powerful though.

Is there a hot key map for this game? For example, in the battle map, I would love a key for enter defensive stance, to rest or end turn.

I know you can hit the spacebar to set defensive stance and end the unit’s turn. I believe ‘d’ works too. I think there is a list of hotkeys under the ‘tips’ section of the in-game help (hit F1).

I know D doesn’t work. Ill look under the Tips section to see if there is a hot key map.

I am also a bit annoyed at the super slow pace of the game. Like by turn 200, I have a few cities and am still clearing lairs. I found an AI player, and they only had 1 city.

I think tonight Ill start a bunch of test games, each maxing out a spell school just so I can see what spells are available for each school. Is there documentation for this? In my current game, I put 1 point in all spell schools just so I could see what everything does. This is going to take forever to do at the glacial pace of research and whatnot. I am building libraries and whatnot in various towns.

You don’t have to do that. There is an in-game list of every spell in the game and what they do. At the bottom right of your screen, to the right of the ‘?’ icon, is an icon that looks like a text list. Click on it and it will bring op a screen with 2 tabs. the (default) tab is the unit compendium that show you every unit you’ve discovered so far in your current game. The second tab though is the spell compendium and it will list all the spells in each school. That’s the one you want.

I believe this can be adjusted in the settings to speed the game up. I think just about everything in the game can be adjusted. Some of the more detailed settings are in a text config file.

One design decision that I would urge them to rethink – that huge battle map. I mean, I don’t want a cramped one like Endless Legends, but they could cut this map by half and not lose a thing… And then battles would take less time, and the game would move more quickly.

Love the game overall, but yeah, this could be improved.

This has been my experience, more like a PvE game. I’d like to see a more robust AI that expands and contests for territory.

From what I’ve read, the AI players can struggle with strong lairs near their cities. I’ve heard that if you reduce the strength and number of lairs in your game they do better.

Deity Empires is on sale right now at 40% off ($14.99) until May 20. I’ve been playing it a lot lately and I now give it my wholehearted recommendation. If you like this genre of games, you don’t mind the depth and learning curve of the Dominions games, and you loved Master of Magic, then this game is probably for you.

The developers are extremely active and have made 6 updates to the game just since the last post in this thread. There have been some major additions to the game and the developers continue to actively improve it. It’s clear they are in this for the long haul.

Some of the biggest recent additions are:

• Added “Zone of Control’ game options, giving every unit a zone of control. When a unit moves into an enemies zone of control, it uses up all of its remaining movement points.

• Added random lesser heroes. These lesser heroes are the same unit type as current units in the game, but have random rolled health and weapon stats (slightly stronger than their base unit type), and only 1 figure. They typically can utilize additional item slots. Currently these random heroes only make themselves available as random mercenaries available for hire in cities.

• Added dungeon levels. Once all enemies are defeated in a dungeon, you can descend down a staircase to the next dungeon level, where new and unknown enemies await. Once you descend, treasure on the previous level will be lost forever. Enemies will get progressively harder and more numerous as you proceed further down dungeon levels. (Note that with this game option turned on in the settings, there’s actual gold, chests containing items, and other loot laying on the dungeon floors that you have to find and pickup before you go to the next level. There’s up to seven levels per dungeon to explore as much as you are able.)

• Added heal and mana potions to the game. These will appear in dungeons with treasure, and can be produced in cities.

• Greatly increased the effects of giving gifts to other deities. Allying with same-aligned deities will be much easier as a result, and appeasing (ie delaying war with) different aligned deities via gifts should now be a feasible strategy. (Note that Diplomacy improvements are still a WIP.)

• Added Music to the game.

• Units can now evolve. For example, if you summon a baby dragon using a world spell and then level it up to level 10, you can choose to evolve it into a young dragon which is much stronger. The young dragon will eventually evolve into a dragon and then, finally, an ancient dragon (which is pure death on wings).

That’s just the major stuff, They added a ton of more minor stuff and have implemented a ton of suggestions. The last patch implemented 3 of the suggestions I’d made including a new Necromancer Deity ability to pick at startup.

For those worried about the AI, I think this is the best 4X AI, I’ve seen. It’s very aggressive and it will destroy you. I played a game the other day on hard difficulty where I had constant pressure on my cities from 2 different deities. Both had out-built and out-produced me to an extreme degree. My best 2 unit stacks were able to protect my 3 cities but it was a losing battle. They just had way more high level units than I did and they threw them at me relentlessly. Basically the game has so many settings that you can make the game as hard or easy as you wish.

It took me quite a while to get a handle on this game. Once I finally figured out how things worked, I was hooked. Now I can’t stop thinking about it. If you have the patience to figure it out, it will reward you.