Denuvo DRM - It works, and you're going to get more of it

Yeah, Battlefront 2 really needs copy protection with that 3 hours campaign…

An analysis of performance impact with Denuvo, taking several cases of games which have dropped it over time.

They do mostly a good job, taking benchmarks before and after a single update to minimize other possible factors, and annotate minimum, average, and frametime. Although there is an important asterisk in their methodology, they use a 8 year old cpu.
The TLDR is 5% worse performance in some games, usually open world cpu bound games.

I would have thought the obvious way to benchmark that would be Denuvo vs. cracked version rather than patches.

Cracks are more likely to introduce other problems. You want to eliminate as many variables as possible to get a clean result.

Of course patches can improve performance too. Nothing’s perfect.

Cracks still have Denuvo running.

Do they really? Was not aware of that. Interesting.

I understand it would be too complex to remove entirely the protection, so what they do it is making it believe the copy is valid every time there is a check.

Yea, usually they just fix the checks the restriction mechanism uses but if you’re lucky they manage to remove it entirely. This used to be the case in the good old days when they just dumped the “unwrapped” executable at runtime as a lot of digital restriction mechanisms used to just ‘wrap’ around the game executable.

In other news, big win for the scum at Denuvo in that one of the major opponents to their tech had a lot of their published information scrubbed from yt as well as a lawsuit/criminal case in their somewhat corrupt home country :)

Excepting the MA: Andromeda anomaly, and ignoring that Mad Max was initially an anomaly in the other direction (until they decided to retry it), the results in that video look pretty much like ‘imperceptable/inconclusive/experimental error’, especially given they went out of their way to use a really old cpu.

Given most games have cpu to burn I don’t think there’s anything to worry about here.

Guy made an update to his tests.

Also annoyed how there isn’t a damn table with the results. Video is crap for conveying this type of info.

Yawn.

In yet another illustration why this thread is increasingly poorly named, Metro Exodus with Denuvo was cracked in just under 5 days.

Well, to be fair, this is an exceptional case. They only managed to crack it this quickly because the person responsible for cranking the special Metro Denuvo machine went out for lunch at the wrong time.

That same dude must have been tasked with cranking the Far Cry New Dawn Denuvo machine too, because that was also cracked in 5 days.

Denuvo is probably finished.

The question I guess is: did it do it’s job, from the publisher’s POV? Are they happy with the previous investment?

On to the next one.

At 5 days, probably not.

Yeah I meant over the course of its lifetime. Basically, was Denuvo a success?

I’m not thrilled with its demise because I never noticed it in any game I played. If they’re going to insist on DRM, I want it to be one that’s not causing me any grief. I don’t miss the days of Starforce and other crap.

I would say that Denuvo worked well enough for awhile.

You guys know that the alternative to Denuvo isn’t no protection, right? More and more games will just require an internet connection and an account with the publisher.

Yea, like Divinity Original Sin or the Witcher 3, I’m sure the companies behind those were ruined because they didn’t include time bombs in their software.

I am kinda glad a lot of publishers infect their software with denuvo, as I am saving money from each title I skip.