Depressing life help

Holy fuck, Bill, why aren’t you making millions writing self-help books?

Why not get a PhD from a diploma mill and make computer games for a living?

No. Just me.

No. Just me.[/quote]

Oh hey now, don’t be trying to monopolize the disgustingness that is the birthright of every red blooded American male.

I think Bill is Pat Croce in real life.

–Dave

No. Just me.[/quote]

Oh hey now, don’t be trying to monopolize the disgustingness that is the birthright of every red blooded American male.[/quote]

Hey us Aussies are just as disgusting as you yanks! :twisted:

Aw c’mon Ang, don’t be such a tighta^H^H^Hkilljoy. Loos^HH^H^Hlighten up, willya?

Where’s that pic of you, all cute and cheesing, sitting cross-legged on the floor of some library or bookstore or whatever? “Tee-hee, hey aren’t you the bassist for Expandable Dirigible? Your gig - giggle it’s called a ‘gig,’ right? I’m such a dork! - last Friday at Roofies was awesome! Are you like gonna be there this Friday? My friends were talking about going but, y’know, I’m not really into that ‘meet market’ type stuff that club seems to be all about. Maybe we could hang after the show? My roommate’s visiting her boyfriend in Modesto, she’ll be gone like the whole weekend. Oh, you gotta go? Okay, well, maybe I’ll see you there! Oh, duh, of course I will you’ll be playing and…okay, bye!”

Okay, I know you were never like that. But, you know, you shoulda seen me play that bass…

[size=1]Actually, I was the lead singer.[/size]

It would be hard to surpass Dungsroman’s post in overall effect, but let me try to take your post in a bit more somber tone. I mean you can take Dung’s advice and have a great time, and maybe it will all work out. However…

Being at heart a spartan, self-denying cynic makes me view things as they really are rather than how i would want them to be. Fortunately the celtic half of my brain keeps me from looking too closely into the blank mirror and whitewashed walls of reality, and throwing myself off the nearest bridge in despair (I blame the german half for that).

What i mean by your fucked is that your now out of the loop. If there is anything i’ve learned about the business world overall it’s that, excepting certain aprenticeship jobs that will foot the bill for college, no one is going to go even a minute out of their way to teach you anything. You can go back to school, get some new degree - though it may be far harder in some ways than you think - , but the system has left you behind and isn’t going to wait for you to catch up. In fact it will run you over and not look back. Let me give an example; my brother-in-law and his best friend (whom i know only from my sister’s wedding).

My brother in law graduated with a philosophy degree and wanted to be a great writer, in the Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence style. And when i mean great i mean great, famous, certain to be a millionaire great. However he had an intership with a local paper that he felt was beneath his obviously burgeoning skills. Report on dog shows?! Bah! So he told off the editor and stormed away secure in his superiority. The school promptly refused to recommend him to any graduate program for his embarassing behavior and continues to hold a black mark against his name. Excepting the University of fucking Fairbanks he was rejected to every single graduate school Creative Writing masters program. So he gets to work at CompUsa for the next four years; and even quit that a few weeks ago when upon asking for a raise for his loyal service, having gone without one for a year, they tell him to fuck off and hit the road if he doesn’t like his minimum wage job - which he finally does.

Now his best friend is a class act. He graduates top of his class in high school. He goes to a top ranked eastern law school and graduates with honors. He has all the connections, all the charm. During the wedding he puts the moves on my 16 year old nieces (to their unconcealed delight) and every woman married or not swoons as he passes. Now he’s pulling in 300k a year in a law firm, buying a new house every couple of years and marrying a debutante princess worth millions.

Scary? Winners and losers. Can my brother in law still make it big? Sure he can - but not as the same person as he has been and is still today.

You can make -anything- happen with enough effort, drive, commitment and determination. But don’t think you can just go back and start over - the race has never stopped, and to catch up you’re going to have to rethink the mousetrap. Maybe catching up means going off and being a hippy in some commune? Or drowning as a professor in some junior college? Whatever your path, just make sure you’re the pilot.

Sometimes, imo, its better to navigate the river you’re already in rather than pine away for the river you can’t risk trying to reach.

Whose fucked?

[quote=“nutsak”]

Whose fucked?[/quote]

Maybe not in life, but in the university loop. At least imo. This is with regards to the OP’s desire to return to school to start over.

I’m not trying to argue but just keep things a bit scary :). Starting over is a scary decision and as bad as things are now they can always be a whole lot worse.

Why does my fucked deserve congratulations?

[quote=“nutsak”]

Whose fucked?[/quote]

I think he’s referring to your fucked. You do know where your fucked is, right?

Probably in that lamb.

Oi ok i’ll change it.

Typo humor rarely makes me giggle this much. Thank you Amanapour!

If I was gay and wanted man-babies, I would want Bill’s man-babies.

But how would you feel if you two had a girl?

Fucked.

No. Your fucked

I don’t want to hear about any lamb fucking.