Depth (Shark vs men, from the creators of Killing Floor)

Incredibly, it looks good.

I have always loved games where you can play as a animal. Stuff like the “fiend” in Quake1, or the Alien in AvP. Is a different experience :D

That looks pretty nifty, but I wonder how much gameplay you can get out of that. As a concept – humans gather treasure while sharks stalk them – it seems pretty limited. How much can you do with level design? Will you have different “kinds” of sharks?

-Tom

That’s so cool. So the shark team view the action from inside their shark’s mouth? Ha, I think I would put money down for this.

Well, there are a whole bunch of different shark species, so there is some potential for that.

It’s seems a bit limited at first, yeah, but for example Killing Floor was also based on a very specific idea, and it was fine.
Being a multiplayer tvt game, I suppose they can have different game types, different shark classes (and different loadouts for humans?), and level design wise, I suspect they can have more variety than just “standard seafloor”, if they happen to have a good artist with them. Thinking just a bit: Coral reefs, underwater interconnected caverns, titanic-like sunk ship, different lightning conditions, chasms, levels based on verticality (let’s remember the movement will be in 3d).

But it’s always a bit dangerous to make an indie multiplayer only game, they tend to die very quickly.

Okay, guys, hold on. Not everyone can be the great white. Malk, we’re going to need you to be the nurse shark. Turin, you have to be the angler fish.

-Tom

I want this.

The website shows three classes of diver and three species of shark. Only one map and one gametype so far though.
http://depthgame.com/guide.php

edit: And a update on moddb from November.

And a few tidbits from their forum! http://www.forums.depthgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=160

1. This is not a shooter
    You may have seen some firearm-ish looking things in our media , but make no mistake - Depth is not a game about shooting! The only two projectile weapons in the diver arsenal , The “Tag gun” and the “Speargun” are both pretty much non-lethal.
  2. The Stealth is old school
  3. Teamwork is strongly encouraged, not mandatory

Agreed, that does look surprisingly good. Admittedly, I’m fascinated by sharks but I think I’d appreciate this one regardless.

Hah. Though I snickered, I’d enjoy playing a smaller, faster shark if it helps lure the humans to the big and slow great white.

Just so long as I get to be the female anglerfish.

I want to be the hammerhead so I get the wider FOV.

And I want to be a saw-head shark so I can cut through the bars on the divers’ cage and get their loot!

Interesting, in the video there is a moment where a player hides in the “grass” at the ground, doing an ambush or avoiding the sharks. I wondered how much stealth have the game.

Saw-head, Hammerhead? Come on I think the developers are trying to keep things real here.

But even the slow great white is still much faster than the humans.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not. But in the slight off chance you’re not aware… sawshark hammerhead shark

Yeah dude. And god help you if you’re caught in the briny deep with the dreaded bazookahead shark.

Sorry, Pogue, but you’re not high level enough to play a shark yet. You’ve only unlocked the remora for the shark team and the guy who turns the crank on the boat to raise or lower the cage for the human team.

-Tom

It could be fun. I’d like to see variable visibility, one of the big bads of sharks is them coming from behind and hitting someone, dragging them quickly out of view. Or maybe the ability to breach with someone in your jaws.

Good video, I hope there is more blood in the water as the sharks wipe out the humans.

:)