Designated Survivor

So I am caught up now for the final episode this week ahead. Overall not a huge fan of this season. Also I dislike the lawyer character they got Michael J Fox to play.

Wonder how it will end, probably on a cliffhanger that as we now know, will never get resolved.

It will absolutely end on a cliffhanger that is never resolved. Season Three was already in the works when the axe came down last week. They had a new showrunner (the fifth in two seasons) and were assembling a new writing room and script ideas. Part of what sunk it, aside from lower than expected ratings, was Sutherland’s contract stipulation that the show production move from Canada to Los Angeles in season three. That proved to be too expensive for the network to stomach given the ratings decline and problems with show runners.

It is very sad that President Trump managed to stick around longer than President Kirkman.

Crap, I still enjoyed this.

Well that’s a wrap, I felt the final episode closed a few of the ongoing stories, but its totally pointing to a 3rd season that isn’t happening now.

I think the show suffered by having so many different stories going on at the same time.

Agreed, and of widely ranging levels of plausibility and interest.

Yeah, I was not a big fan of the swing from political thriller that was mainly focused on conspiracy with a healthy side of “how Washington works, abridged edition” to West Wing Lite. The addition of Michael J. Fox, as much as I like and respect him, seemed like stunt casting where none was needed, and the storyline with the Russian woman that is now appearing to implicate Emily was just stupid.

I’m sad to see the show end, but I’m also kind of OK with it ending now versus watching it deteriorate further with another season of yet another show runner and all new writing room doing their take on whatever loose plot ends need tying up and how they think Kirkman’s White House should function.

I still wish we had President Kirkman instead of our current POTUS though. Hell, I wish there was even a President Kirkman to vote for in ANY election. The whole idea that he was there to serve the best interests of the American people may have been naïve, but it gave me hope that someone, somewhere was watching, and taking notes.

Whoa…

Wow! This is like the fourth series from network TV this season to be cancelled then resurrected as an Amazon or Netflix series. At what point do we just admit that all shows should be streaming network shows? =)

Glad to see this picked up though. I need more President Kirkman in my life right now given what’s happening in the real White House. I still fear for how terrible the plot may become given the new show runner, writers, etc. and the need to tie up last season’s tilt toward the ridiculous…however the fact that Sutherland and the new show runner have a good rapport and have been hashing out plot ideas gives me more hope. Welcome back Designated Survivor!

I’m really happy it’ll only be 10 episodes. The premise and characters were always great, and the show was dragged down by inane story lines crafted to fill 21/22 episodes each season.

I just started watching this. Am I insane…or is this the most cliched-ridden ‘scripted by 12 year old boys’ writing that the world has ever seen?
I’d be thoroughly ashamed to have written a single line of dialogue on this… I just cannot get past the cliches.

It is horribly, horribly cliched. There’s some good stuff in there, but the cliches never let up.

Neat. I haven’t watched Season 2, but I enjoyed that trailer. Looks like they went full West Wing-successor and ditched most of the terrorist stuff. I like. Maybe I’ll catch up on Season 2 sometime.

Wow, I forgot Netflix had picked this up! My wife is going to be happy, as we both really liked the show. Trailer looks awesome, can’t wait.

I’m hopeful. As much as I think season 2 got lost in the woods, I really like the characters and would enjoy seeing a good season 3.

They pretty much did that in season 2. It’s just shitty West Wing now. To the point where you can actually name the West Wing episodes and sub plots that were being poorly aped in any given episode.

It is really hard to ape Sorkin’s West Wing, isn’t it? John Wells did a good job of it in Season 5 of West Wing onward. But it really comes through in Designated Survivor that this sort of show is hard to make compelling.

Season 3 took a real turn, Nextflix did something amazing turning this from a guilty pleasure to something better than it out to be. The transition to slow burn on the big action is welcome, and the maturing of the West Wing vibe to something that feels more like west wing like instead of a mess…was welcome and unexpected.

I cant stop watching, it took till episode 4 before they reached their first roll your eyes moment! That’s a record for this show!! LOL. Its really got me hooked despite a groan moment in late episode 4, but you knew it was coming. Lots of other mysteries and surprises though keeping me pulled in. I know, this show was so on the nose, now its actually giving you narrative!

Just started this tonight. It’s a difficult watch, seeing all the talk about what a president should be, how they should act, what they should say. It’s difficult because I keep getting flashes of the current US President in my head and it just pisses me off thinking about the things Trump would be doing in any one of these situations/scenes.

True enough, Kerzain. The newest season really does a decent job in showing Kirkman to be less-than-perfect but still always well-intentioned, and I appreciate that. I only wish that reflected real life.