Destination Wedding - John Wick finds true love

I’m fascinated by this trailer. It popped up in an autoplay queue in YouTube and I thought it was either an SNL parody or one of Keanu Reeves’ Squarespace commercials that starts as a joke. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder in a rom-com? WTF? I kept waiting for the punchline that never came. Fascinating and awkward.

It’s a legit movie written and directed by Victor Levin, who is mostly known for producing a lot of TV.

I don’t know how to reconcile my love for old, grizzled Keanu with my certainty that this will be a terrible movie.

That got me laughing a few times, I’ll check it out. I’m now worries all the best laughs were in the trailer though. But you never know.

So it’s kinda like Table 19, which was pretty fun, by the way:

I kept waiting for him to start shooting everyone up.

From one of the creative minds behind Mad About You!

At least it’s an age-appropriate relationship in a Hollywood movie. At least.

So, was Winona always a pretty meh actor? I guess she was the IT girl of the early 90s before she faded.

Might be worth seeing just to witness that unicorn

It’s always really hard for me to figure out who’s good or bad at acting. Actors are limited by directors and writing, after all. I enjoyed her in some films, and find her (understandably) crazy mom role in Stranger Things to be fairly engaging.

This is my kind of rom-com. My childhood… mmm… not heroes, let’s say, but “older role models?”. Not really that either. Well, Winona was always cool. Keanu was cool i guess in a surfer bum way.

They were the seniors in high school when i was in junior high. They were the kids/young adults we looked up towards.

This seems very much like John Wick prequel I didn’t know I wanted. The misantrophy and type of delivery by Keanu makes it hilarious to me.

I see one critical improvement made by Table 19 just by looking at the thumbnail.

This showed up on Amazon Prime. I just finished Daredevil and was at loose ends, so I decided to turn it on on the background. As far as I could tell, there are no other actors with speaking parts in the movie- just Reeves and Ryder being terrible people (to each other, to the people around them) in scene after scene. It had some reasonable laughs.

Is Reeves as dead panned in the film as he is in the trailer?

Yes. Too much so, a few times. The acting felt uneven, a little forced in a few bits.

I can’t agree or disagree yet, I’m only 20 minutes in, but I literally came here to say I’m loving the shit out of Reeve’s performance. This movie is really doing it for me so far.

I enjoyed the shit out of this. It was the John Wick spin-off I didn’t know I wanted.

Maybe it’s secretly a prequel.

An aesthetically and conceptually ambitious director could cut together a decent existential Keanu movie from all the footage from iPhones and etc uploaded of Reeves being a general ‘cool dude’ in public spaces, like giving up his seat for tired folks on the subway train etc.