Destiny 2 - I don't have time to explain Bungie's MMO shooter 2.0

Those kinds of quests were generally fun when we were actually playing co-op among friends.

This is the gamble with all of these progression based pass schemes. The price is the same whether you hit max level and reap all the rewards, or you only manage to make it to level 14 and only get a few minor gewgaws.

Season of Dawn is out now. Patch notes here:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48556

Wow, not many Destiny 2 players here.

List of all the stuff they removing at the end of yet another Season of BS.

So much stuff they remove, and some interesting quests.

In addition, they doing something to the loot pool related to “max power level” possible on drops, so if you need a particular weapon they haven’t “patched” to drop at the max power level, it will no longer be obtainable from what I understand…

Today we’re going to talk about some changes that are coming in Season 11 to the way the world loot pool works. Because the world pool serves as a baseline of legendary gear that can be earned across different activities, we want to update and refresh it seasonally with meta relevant weapons, some of which were previously exclusive to specific activities like Gambit or Crucible.

This shared pool can also be unwieldy – if you’re looking for a specific roll of a specific weapon, a pool too large can make it statistically challenging to find, much less with the roll you want. Starting in Season 11, it will be curated both for relevance and overall size, to strike a balance between number of rewards and the chance to get a sought-after drop. Every season gear from previous seasons will be added, and any gear that would no longer have a Max Power Level greater than or equal to the current Season cap will be cycled out to ensure that drops are Power relevant in the current Season.

The World Pool for Season 11 will consist of the following weapons:

• Uriel’s Gift
  • Elatha FR4
  • The Old Fashioned
  • Mos Epoch III
  • Hawthorne’s Field-Forged Shotgun
  • Last Hope
  • Timelines’ Vertex
  • Interference VI
  • Dire Promise
  • True Prophecy
  • Jian 7 Rifle
  • Enigma’s Draw
  • Distant Tumulus
  • Escape Velocity
  • Honor’s Edge
  • Gnawing Hunger
  • Arsenic Bite-4b
  • Main Ingredient
  • Outrageous Fortune
  • Truthteller
  • Nature of the Beast
  • Last Perdition
  • Bad Omens
  • Night Watch
  • Toil and Trouble
  • Wishbringer
  • Last Dance
  • Lonesome
  • Long Shadow
  • Steel Sybil Z-14

If you still need a weapon or weapon roll from the current Vanguard, Crucible, or Gambit playlists that isn’t on that list, go grab it now!

I really hope they end with this Season bullshit and stop removing content you pay for. Especially content that includes unique locations and whatnot.

"Oh, you got less time to play season 10 because you were in the fucking hospital with corona for 4 weeks, to bad, we removed everything, but do not worry, if you feel up for it you can grind 24/7 in Season 11 to complete all the objectives before we delete them, even if you’re 1% off the goal… ".

They opened up a quest called “The lie” 1-2 weeks ago, one step included getting 1000 shotgun kills (or quicker in pvp). So for those who are a little bit slow at shotgunning, or didn’t do a useless shite event on Mars that Bugnie decided to recreate AGAIN (Seraph towers) - without matchmaking, to grind it out… there’s 13 days left to get it done.

I thought the point of making Destiny 2 was that the content pipeline for Destiny 1 was horrific and extremely time consuming. They still seem really slow at building out new content, though, at least when I’m comparing it to other online games like Warframe, Path of Exile, etc.

I played Shadowkeep when it came to Steam and had a good time (after only playing it for a little while in the initial release) but I haven’t really seen much to pull me back in.

It’s why I don’t pay for any season passes in any game. I’ll never accomplish even half of a season pass.

Yea, it seems really slow for them to add stuff, and, as has been the case with a lot recently, when they add something new they remove “just as much”.

And still so many great features from Destiny 1 that were already “working” are missing in action, like SRL, the “books” (sort of Triumph/collection thing…).

I suppose they fear that, if they keep all the old stuff in the game, the population will be too dilluted between everything, which other games have already solved through rotating “focus on this today or this week for extra reward” incentivisation, or even through Cross-play for non-competitive content, so instead of 50.000 PC players and 1m PS4/700k XB1 (or whatever) you’d have 2+m players all being matchmade together.

I am guessing next season we’ll see YET ANOTHER “Open world” event requiring a well coordinated team of players at high light level doing some “dunk and throw” event to summon some shit while fighting lots of mobs, all in a public zone where 2 guys will be doing something else, leaving the remaining 2-3 “3-man-fireteam slots” alone to handle it themselves.

Recall the Mars event required quite a few players to compete, but if 3 people joined the same zone, and they were in different fireteams, that zone would be “locked” and the only way to get more people was to either invite them through the ingame friends/clan list or go on discord or other third party apps to find players - because Matchmaking is bad.

@Telefrog This season I made it… Well, except for the event they unlocked 6 weeks before end of season, namely the Grandmaster Nightfalls, which to complete required me to be MAX Light level to even JOIN, and since I had not “grinded enough” (according to some) this season (Discounting the fact that a lot of my +light upgrades have been duplicates or for the same slot, rendering them USELESS for achieving max light level) I can not get this achievement, since I missed the first week of it.

(Event requires 6 GM Nightfalls completed in as many weeks, rotating 1 per week)

All the vaults and stuff they added this season will disappear once it ends, so all the work they made on making some nice (albeit not that large) areas will disappear, as well as whatever locations were included in the exotic weapon quests…

When I find myself thinking back at something that I liked in Destiny… I wonder “Was this in Destiny 2?”… and most of the time the answer was, NO, it was in Destiny 1. But at least now, with the removal of even more stuff in Destiny 2 as the season onslaught continues, perhaps I can remember things in Destiny 2 that they also removed. (oh yea, I already miss the timed nightfalls without all the shitty modifiers…).

Event thingy in 40 minutes apparently at the tower.

Everyone waiting to see what it will be.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/643078786
Recorded it, jump to 1:34 for the fireworks.

Meteor shower.

I haven’t played in over a year but it was cool to watch the event with a random streamer.

Destiny 2 expansions coming in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-09-bungie-reveals-2020-2021-and-2022-expansions-for-destiny-2

And they’re working on a new IP “with light-hearted and whimsical characters” for release in 2025.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-09-bungies-new-ip-has-lighthearted-and-whimsical-characters

Sheesh. I used to love Bungie. Oh well. Plenty of great developers still left, I suppose. Hopefully whatever it is in 2025 will be great, and it won’t be a hero shooter or something.

I abandoned the game a few months ago but I was sure I’d be back for the new expansion and play at least October/November but… wow.

Well, at least I can free some disk space now.

They are going to remove half the content of the game, slice strikes list by half (and so gut the already disappointing variety of the game). And all this just to sell another anemic expansion that seem to have even less content than the terrible Shadowkeep.

I mean, Shadowkeep destroyed all legacy content and story campaigns. Coming September they’ll remove all if it. If it was bleeding, now it’s dead.

Well done?

Curious how it turned out.

People complained that the seasonal content was added and then removed. Now not only all seasonal content will be gone, but also half of the rest of the game.

Before: adding and removing “just as much”.
Now: half the game we had until today.

Well, supposedly their metrics say that the content they’re removing is almost never touched by players, so just taking up space on your HDD. I’ll admit, the video with the return of the unknown Exo had me a little intrigued with her little fish-butterfly-ghost thing. I didn’t buy Shadowkeep, though, and I’ve uninstalled it right now, and there’s little chance I’ll be back. I would like to know what the whole pyramid ship thing is, and (whatever they’ve shoehorned in to be) the true nature of the Darkness. Ah, well.

They said just that, it’s also false.

Most bounties rely on Strikes and Nightfalls, that’s pretty much all content people “grind”, as long you aren’t PvP or raid. Of these there are currently 17. Seven of them will be gone. One of them isn’t even 1 year old, one of the best on offer too, and will be cut anyway.

Since these 7 are part of rotations, everyone plays them ALL THE TIME. You just have a pool of 10 instead of 17.

So no. The stuff they are removing is the stuff everyone plays, every single day. Either that or you idle at the Tower.

Strikes and Nightfalls is what the game offers. It’s also what’s being cut in half. If people spend time doing other things then it has to be some obscure part of the game I’ve never seen.

(one of the most loved and successful side activity, the Menagerie, is also being cut)

P.S.
A year ago I wouldn’t have believed it, but Warframe has on average more players than D2, on PC.

P.P.S. because it keeps delivering.
You probably know about “sunsetting”. It means that now not all weapons can be upgraded to max level, so that Bungie can maintain a smaller pool that is easier to balance. This has been heavily opposed, because it means you can’t use the stuff you’ve collected.

But you cannot imagine how maliciously they’ve implemented this. Not only some weapons “sunset”, all of them do. All your current weapon inventory is slapped a hard cap, and nothing can be upgraded every time the power cap goes up. Only newly acquired weapons can be upgraded.

This means that if you have a weapon that isn’t directly sunset, you still cannot upgrade it, until you acquire it from scratch and then upgrade it. You have to reacquire and regrind ALL weapons you want to use. Every time the power cap is increased.
Small correction: for new drops the power level cap is set three seasons above, so it “lasts” 9-12 months from the moment it appears in your inventory.

So, I’m curious, if I put in my original Destiny 2 disc in the Xbox One today, with no other expansion packs, what can I play? Anything? And in September, even that anything that I can play will be gone?

The story so far:

• Well-respected shooter experts create an entirely new shooter (Destiny 1) that plays great despite absurdly bad plot. People generally love it despite the plot.

• Company expands the original repeatedly and people mostly still love it.

• Company creates a sequel that forgets much of what was good about the original, then takes a year to re-learn those things. Opinion is mixed once the initial shine wears off. Many like it, but many others drift away too.

• Company fixes what isn’t broken by moving half way towards a free-to-play model. More players drift away as the pressures of that model break portions of the game.

• Company forgets everything they’d ever learned making Destiny & goes all-in on free-to-play. The parts of Destiny 2 that company had worked so hard to fix are thrown away. Any investment that the formerly dedicated fan base had in the game & add-ons is literally wiped out.

• Success?!

Fuck Bungie, they have only themselves to blame.

Diego

./signed.

They removing menagerie? Great, I am 40 runs (fucking grind) from completing the last triumphs there… since they “Fixed” the issue where you could get 4-5 chest rewards per run… so instead people were looking at doing 200 runs of that to complete the ghost triumph.

“Maybe in the future we’ll do cross-platform gameplay”… that should’ve been the TOP thing on their list, instead we get more ‘streamer friendly’ stuff to do – if you grind like a madman.

If people play certain parts less — perhaps they should try to incentivise that, thus people who STILL NEED TO DO THE FUCKING CONTENT can complete it instead of ‘waiting in orbit’ for team mates that never materialize.

Half the game still doesn’t have matchmaking either.

I just read an article (Paul Tassi in Forbes- does a lot of writing about Destiny) that claims that the Vault system is going to be bringing back Destiny 1 content (remastered, I assume) to replace the stuff cycled out. Specifically, the Cosmodrome is coming back in full, including its 3 strikes, in addition to the new Europa area and whatever strikes/dungeons /raids it contains. The sky is probably not falling.

Also cool, and fealty where they should have started with D2, is a new Darkness-based Ice /Stasis class. Now that might actually bring me back for a look.

Seems like Bungie has dug themselves a hole they can’t get out of so they just keep digging to get to the other side. I haven’t played since shortly after Forsaken launched and have no plans to return for many reasons, so this is just a question out of pure curiosity.

Legally, how does this work for people who paid for content that’s being cycled out? Is Bungie in the clear because it’s only temporarily unavailable, or is there a clause in the user agreement that allows this?

Yes, then you start to read more closely and it falls apart.

They’ll bring D1 content… across the next 3 years, in tiny chunks.

We’ll have a complete recycled Cosmodrome, with three strikes and the raid… NEXT YEAR. It will take a year for this. With each season they expand the location a little bit, and at the end of the process the Cosmodrome will be on parity with how it was in D1.

So they are bringing 1 destination back from Destiny, and the process will take until next year. We’ll probably have to see next year’s expansion to have them recycle a new small piece.

1 recycled destination built along the year VS 5 destinations removed at once

Europa’s content you have to buy for full price, the 5 destination they remove is instead content I paid for that is taken away.

Knowing what happened with Shadowkeep, I expect the amount of content will be tiny and nowhere on par with Forsaken.

I don’t know how it’s even possible Forsaken exists. I’d PAY to revert the game to how it was before Shadowkeep.