Devil May Cry 5

There’s a weekly quest on Xbox Game Pass that’s about to expire tomorrow, to get 10 gold orbs in this game. Is that something that will take a long time for someone who has never played? Or can I get home today and get it done in about 10 minutes?

I remember them giving them out pretty frequently, 1 or 2 per mission. It might still take you 6 or 7 hours.

Finally got around to playing this! Huge fan of the series (even DmC). Man this game is a blast. Echoing what others have said about Dante being overwhelming. Eight weapons, a handful of styles, an addition to the DT system. I’m having an absolute blast. Pretty deep, on Mission 18 I think and quickly approaching the finale.

Really loving playing as V, fantastic change of pace from the usual slicing and dicing. Wish he had more levels!

As for Nero and Dante, still the same fast paced action that never grows old. Game performs great; don’t think I’ve seen any slowdown on my normal PS4.

Overall I would say the game seems a little easier (or at least less punishing) than other entries. I’m only ever dying on bosses, and most bosses I beat on the first try. Playing through on Devil Hunter. Do the harder modes change much or do they just give enemies that can kill you faster and take a ton of hits?

Only complaints are nitpicks; levels aren’t super interesting (but they’re kind of besides the point), and mostly I’m just greedy and want more of everything! With DMC3: SE out for Switch I might have to pick that up in the near future…

You’ll definitely want to play the next difficulty. Without a doubt. The one after that is where it turns into a grind.

Beat the game last night! Final boss was a good step up in difficulty and took a bunch of tries. Still super overwhelmed with Dante’s moveset; looking forward to ironing it out on Son of Sparda difficulty.

Sounds like Capcom is back to their old stupidity.

It’s just a random person’s tweet, and it’s possible they patch it in later anyway after they’re done hyping PS5 at release, but with Capcom you never know.

I’m not sure I understand what we’re missing out on. Vergil sounds like the best part of those features.

They never did bring over the improvements from the DmC special edition to PC, so not terribly surprising from them.

Legendary Dark Knight mode was pretty fun in DMC4. Basically the middle difficulty but there’s 10 times the enemies. It’s a hoot. I’d probably double dip for the game (on sale) just to play through this once, assuming I find a reason to buy a next gen console.

Obviously raytracing would be nice to take advantage of our shiny new video cards. It looks a bit jank on console. I’d turn it off and play 120fps if I had a TV that fast.

Turbo is available already using Cheat Engine scripts.

It’s not clear how much of a complete character we’ll get out of Vergil. Probably less than he was in 3 and 4. Maybe similar to DmC.

This was all confirmed, by the way.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-17-capcom-says-devil-may-cry-5-special-edition-wont-come-to-pc

The funny thing is LDK was originally a PC mode for DMC4. It finally came to current gen consoles with their additional processing power. It doesn’t look like consoles will return the favor.

Oh, that mode does sound fun! Damn.

Literally so many links about Vergil and LDK that it’s hard to decide what to post. I had a funny gif of LDK but Discourse ate the resolution. Just check 3:37 in the video below.

Apparently they tried to use the PS5 adaptive triggers to make Nero’s advanced sword rev move feel more like revving a motorcycle, which is awesome in theory, except the effect is annoying when you do it pretty much all the time. Fortunately you can disable it.

I think those adaptive triggers could be really useful for exceed in particular. It doesnt sound like this is what they did, but i can imagine a scenario where revving typically has a high resistance except for the exceed sweet spot, where it softens, so you feel feedback on whether you’re pressing it too early or too late.

That does sound like a great idea. The game would have to send game state information pretty quickly back to the controller: the player pressed this attack so in X milliseconds start the resistance ramp-down. Oh wait here comes another attack, etc. There may be some technical challenges there.

It’s not really clear how it works from the description in that video. Someone else said it temporarily increases the resistance if you miss it, giving you an additional built-in penalty for getting it wrong.

Vergil DLC is out now.

I’m debating between this and Cyberpunk tonight…

The price is right, too. I’ll definitely get this.

Hello, it is me, The Guy Who is Late to Every Party. This was pretty cheap (not as cheap as it’s been, but I think that was a pricing error), so I grabbed it, having dabbled in 3 and 4 and liking the look of it. I’m about an hour and a half in, just beat Goliath, and I looooove it.

Great! I need to get back to it. Otherwise I think Ninja Gaiden might surpass my original favorite action game series!

Watch out for story spoilers on YouTube before you beat the game once.

I have not looked up anything and I don’t plan to!

Although I have to say it already seems kind of painfully obvious where the story is going, but I am ready to be surprised. Either way I don’t mind.

Unexpected William Blake reference!