Devs - Alex Garland's next weird jaunt

I find her face fascinating, especially as the show’s chosen to frame it with her hair, t-shirts, etc. As a passive character she is quite good. I assume she has become some kind of muse for Alex Garland since she looks so at home in his aesthetics that she has appeared in. Other than that, I agree she’s not amazing. Her pretending to be schizophrenic scenes, and confrontational scenes in general, made me cringe a bit, but I don’t know if we were supposed to see it that way.

Those I think might have been intended to be cringey. I am quite certain the scenes of her being lovey-dovey with Sergei weren’t, but they really are. I was so glad we only got a few of those because not only can she not deliver “romantic” but he can’t either.

Makes sense. The Sergei scenes just reminded me of real awkward young nerd couples I know (that are also cringey at times, but it’s real life cringe! We all do it sometimes.)

Episode 7, 8

I think it’s become evident the security guy is going to drag Lily back to Devs and the young/old developer are going to destroy the machine which is why everything past the next 24 hours is fuzzy. If this is the way it goes down I’ll be disappointed. I’d rather the machine continue on and they start a Jurassic World channel that just streams dinosaur stuff 24x7.

So, a lot of remarks here that are blurred - I only saw the first episode, but am curious what everyone thinks about the show - does it get good/better/worse?

As to the gender that Lyndon identifies as, the first scene of this week’s episode finally revealed it. At some point he says “I’m the guy who…” Now obviously Lyndon the character could be a former “she.”

BTW, the little girl who plays Amaya is absolutely cherubic in the opening montage. In the credits her last name is Mizuno-Something or the other way around. Could she be the lead actress’ daughter?

So does the machine need to exist in the future in order to see the future, when it exists now? That’s what makes me wander if its destruction is the event.

None of the following episodes have lived up to the first episode for me. You can unblur my comment after “We finished episode 3 tonight” and not get too much spoiled. I’m further into the show now but still think that way.

Thanks - its hard to get a feel for how people think when its all blurred text :smiley:

It’s interesting, but definitely not blowing my socks off.

The whole reason we had that conversation was they gendered Lyndon a couple episodes back.

And as for how I feel about the show - I think it’s great except for the lead actress. Beautiful, strange, love what Nick Offerman and Alison Pill are doing acting-wise, etc. Really creeped out by the giant girl statue.

Did they refer to Lyndon with male pronouns in that episode, or was it just the name? I can’t remember. As you wrote above though, not that it matters [to the story anyway].

BTW, question for anyone who might know: what was the language Jamie used words/expressions from during the phone call at the end of the previous episode? It didn’t sound like Mandarin or Japanese. Just curious.

“meh” sums it up for me.

Nothing revolutionary, but I’m enjoying the performances and the writing

WTAF, man.

Poor Jamie and Lyndon.

The show did a really poor job of convincing me that Lily would actually go to Devs after all. She’s not dumb.

She’s just had the other man she loved (or at least cared about) with whom she was reconnecting murdered right in front of her, just a few days after Sergei, and nearly been strangled to death herself, all by a man that she has every reason to believe is acting at Forrest’s bidding (even though we know he isn’t in this case), and had the charming homeless person who’s been hanging around turn out to be a Russian agent. She’s almost certainly in shock and not thinking straight, and looking for revenge.

One thing I was annoyed about:

Has Lily never taken a self defense class in her life? The first thing she should have done when Kenton was strangling her was go for his eyes instead of ineffectually pushing at his shoulders. I was yelling at my TV to that effect.

Well that didn’t make any god damn sense at all. Someone please enlighten me.

I don’t know if it makes any sense scientifically, but…

…it appears that Lily’s choice of tossing the gun out of the transfer gondola (or whatever it’s called) created another timeline, one in which both she and Forrest still died but in his case, slightly differently. But then Katie and he, when Katie resurrected/made contact with another version of him, had to concede that human agency does exist (if only to create ever-branching timelines), so zillions of timelines are possible. She resurrected Lily as well (in the simulation/afterlife), granting them the “knowledge of good and evil” gained by Lily’s “sin of disobedience” in not adhering to the supposedly pre-determined events she saw played out in the projection she’d seen.

It’s all very biblical.