Diablo 2: Resurrected will test your resolve to boycott Blizzard

Today was good. Started hammerdin. Found the horadric cube. Time to combine some gems and make some room.

Edit: I suppose it’s time to respec. Get rid of junk skills I picked through ignorance.

Keep in mind that Faster Cast Rate is important for Blessed Hammer as well!

To add to the previous post, any hints and tips from the D2R crowd here?

Yeah, I may have to pull an amulet from my sorcerer. And I think a ring as well. We’ll see.

When you start using Blessed Hammer you can keep your distance by holding shift and attacking to send your hammers out. You’ll eventually get used to aiming them to hit what you want to hit, but its primary benefit is wiping out big groups of enemies.

You’ll probably be quaffing mana potions for a while but eventually you’ll have the CLVL and gear to cut back on that.

Here’s a build guide to point you in the right direction with skill and stat allocation…

Much appreciated.

That’s GOLD Jerry! Pure gold!

My Barbarian beat Duriel. Phew. I took off my 4 tier belt in order to wear Death’s Guard for the “Cannot Be Frozen”, but after I did that, during the Duriel fight, I remembered the same lesson we learned the hard way so long ago: You’re not Frozen by Duriel, you’re just slowed down a lot. So “Cannot Be Frozen” does nothing!!! The Goggles! They Do NOTHING!

I can’t believe I had to relearn that lesson a second time. As a result I had less potions available to me on my belt and went through all of them. But thankfully that was enough on the wimpy Players 1 setting I’m forced to play. Players 8, I would have been dead for sure for such a silly mistake.

He doesn’t do any more damage on the higher player count, just has an inflated hp pool.

Anyway Duriel has a one off Holy Freeze aura that is basically unfuckwithable. Perks of being the Absolute Penis.

Right. Hence the point of taking less potions into battle being the foolish move. (I was out of potions with his miniscule players 1 pool. If I had to last much longer…)

That’s what portal scrolls are for!

That is a great point. We used to use portals a lot when we played on the LAN. I just learned not to rely on it during Solo play because it usually didn’t work out well.

Is there any reason, what-so-ever, to play online if you have no intention of playing with other people? I see drawbacks, like lag, log in queue in the weekend, etc, but is there any benefit?

Also, aside from personal accomplishment, is there any reason to play Ironman mode while the ladder system isn’t implemented yet?

I feel like in the past when I played regularly, it was always online in a private instance, but I can’t recall for the life of me why I would do that instead of just playing off-line.

The reason to play on Battlenet in the past was that the loot you got was much, much more generous online.

This still wasn’t incentive enough for me and my friends who had fun only in hardcore, because when we briefly tried battlenet, it was laggy, where as LAN play had virtually no lag (except on my roommate’s computer with the bad network card, but even that computer had minimal lag over LAN games).

The truth is, we didn’t really know what we were missing in terms of loot until the beta patch came out for the 1.09b update. During the beta patch period, all single player/LAN characters got the same loot drops as playing on Battlenet. And Oh. My. God. The difference in loot drops was huuuuuuuuge. Suddenly we were getting sooooooo much more loot. So many uniques were suddenly dropping. So many more runes. So many more jewels. So many more gems. So many more set items. It was a night and day difference.

So when the formal 1.09 patch came out, we had a decision to make. Get off the beta patch and go back to regular old loot. But the full 1.09 patch fixed a lot of annoying bugs from the 1.09 beta patch, including a big bug for Necromancers. All summoned skeletons in that beta patch started with one hit point. So they were basically all near death when summoned. And there were other annoying bugs too. But we still kept playing the beta patch for a few months, because we were greedy bastards and the additional loot was so freaking tempting.

Does Diablo 2 Resurrected maintain this loot disparity between playing Battlenet or not? I honestly don’t know. I’ve only been playing offline.

I would say the only benefit, from both research and experience, to playing online vs. offline in D2R is being able to trade. I’d also say Baal runs but that would require playing with other people. Also, I don’t find Baal runs to be necessary now that we can respec our characters.

Back when I played D2 (which was a little later than Rock8man, mostly in the 1.10-1.13 era) online had Ladder characters, where the best loot was to be had. Now, everyone (offline and online) gets access to that same loot. I’ve read somewhere that even offline characters will have a chance at an Annihilus, the rarest of rare loot (I don’t understand how it works for offline, since the mechanism for spawning Uber Diablo, who drops the Anni, was intrinsically tied to IP addresses and whatnot). So my understanding, in regards to @Rock8man’s statement about loot disparity is that there is none, and if there is, it is only that single item.

In my mind, there are two pretty substantial benefits to playing offline/singleplayer: (1) There is zero lag offline (which may be substantial, depending on your internet connection) and (2) you can do the whole “/players” thing so that when you are ready to start farming for runes or magic items you can increase your drop rate without having to share or sneak around multiplayer games.

Thank you for the confirmation! It felt more generous with the loot, but I couldn’t be sure because it’s been so many years. Good to know we’re getting the more generous ladder drop rate. Believe me, back when we experienced the ladder drop rate in that beta, it was such a huge difference.

Being able to trade is the only benefit to an online character at this point, so if you have no intention of grouping, and want to play the game solo self found, offline is a much better choice.

Those ladder only runewords were quite a big deal, and it’s awesome they put them into offline mode.

you can play D2R online on your PC and then switch to your Switch and use the same online character and play in bed…

Thanks @Rock8man and @Mike_Hernandez . That’s good info. I’m going to switch to mostly off-line mode until the ladder seasons begin.

But is it possible to play offline and then go online picking up where you left off?

Only with different characters. ie your characters “exist” either solely online or offline so you can’t play with the same character online and offline.