Diablo III

Ok, now for an embarrassing confession, about the perils of wearing bifocals, getting old, and playing games.

Remember upthread I was talking about my 70 Hardcore Necro for this season? The one I spent Thursday evening and most of Friday and Saturday leveling? Yeah. Well. I went to start a Wizard, while my wife caught up on her Necro. I created a new Wiz, and went into town to set my Cube abilities, check the stash, etc. Um. Nothing. WTF?

Well. After restarting and stuff like that, I realized the cold, awful, truth. All that time I had been leveling the Necro? I wasn’t in Hardcore. Just Seasonal. The two check boxes you check when you create a Hardcore Seasonal had somehow, to my age-addled eyes, become just one checkbox. Yes, that’s right, I just spent two days leveling what I thought was a HC character, but wasn’t. Doh.

Why didn’t I notice? Well, I only play HC. Never leveled a non-HC character. So while my hall of heroes is full of dead ones, those have become pretty few and far between (well, last week’s Necro was something of an exception). I generally don’t die, and in leveling this Seasonal character, I didn’t die. So there was no reason really to doubt I was, in fact, playing my usual HC mode. Up in the right corner there is the little leaf symbol by your character, and the HC symbol, but they are quite small and I simply never looked there. Again, doh.

Not that this is that terrible, really. I’ll just kill off the non-HC Necro to free the spot probably, and I’ve already started leveling a Wizard (can’t abide three Necros in a row right now). I do miss out on the Season rewards, as I completed Chapter I-III already on the faux Necro, so no Haedrig’s Gift stuff, but, meh, not a biggy.

Of course, while leveling the actually Hardcore Wizard I started on last night, Comcast went down…in the middle of a Rift. Luckily, when it came back up and I checked this morning, my Wizard was still alive. And yes, I double checked; she’s actually a HC Seasonal character.

Always gonna doublecheck from now on.