Diablo III

I really didn’t want to play this build but I hit a wall with multishot/grenades that impale just punched right through. Turns out it’s a lot of fun skating around at high speed and popping elites & bosses like so many explosive loot pinatas. Speed wise it’s easily the fastest build I have encountered.

LoN was tuned so it can’t compete with real 6 piece sets. It’s garbage, just use it to twink new 70s.

Basically, either you enjoy a playstyle embodied by a 6p set and its specific support legendaries, or you play another class. These sets and the required support items are so specific that you’re largely SOL.

For example, the necro Inarius set. Initially I thought this was a great _counter-_example. After all, it only mandates using a single skill, bone armor, right? And yes technically that’s true but the bone armor tornado effect is melee-range only, which forces a melee build, and the necromancer only has a couple melee or point-blank AE skills and you basically have to use those because everything else won’t get the damage bonus from the set and thus sucks.

LoN was tuned so it can’t compete with real 6 piece sets. It’s garbage, just use it to twink new 70s.

A game like this will always have optimal gear. My point was that LoN lets you play reasonably high rifts/grifts with any build (as opposed to being stuck in T6 if you want to use unusual skills/legendaries).

I didn’t say it had to be optimal. If it came reasonably close to competing with 6p sets and their supporting legendaries, that would be fine. It doesn’t.

It would be neat if,say, you could customize the specific bonuses of sets to the skill lineup you had. So the bonuses would all be in the same range for whatever skill (ranged, melee, defense, whatever) but the specific skill could be changed to suit your style. Dunno how that would be balanced, etc. but it would be cool.

D3 has never really been about this mindset though- one of many ways that PoE and D3 don’t overlap.

I have a sneaking suspicion I am not going to finish Diablo 3 at level 70. 52 now and I just finished the Uzreael fight.

Do you mean the linear single player campaign? If so, I’ve got no idea what level most people end that on. But no, at that rate you won’t be hitting 70.

Personally though, I don’t even think Diablo 3 starts until 70. Or at least the part that is actually fun.

The game is so radically different now than it was at launch, it really is two different titles. The campaign/story is just a way to learn mechanics and have a structured introduction into game systems like crafting and enchanting, mostly. Hell, originally, you beat big D and then, voila! Act V comes out and you have another big bad guy to defeat–even the story has been totally mutable.

At least evil has been rebuked. A lot, though it seems not to do much good.

Lost a 70 Necro last night. He was under-geared even for the GR25 I was in, and I got sloppy and trapped by a pack of blues, really large melee beasts (Savage Beasts) that charge, on a map with lots of trees and rocks. Only thing I lost that I regret though were seven flawless royal gems (a lot of millions in gold) and most of my Necro set armor. But as the season starts tomorrow, I won’t be back with this crew of regulars for a while, and I have a spare 70 necro anyhow!

I think I’m going to run a Necromancer in Season 11, since I didn’t level my non-season guy to 70 yet. Also, since it seems the season set for Necros (Bones of Rathma) supports the type of build I am interested in (the Rathma Singularity - something like this I think).

I was running something similar, though I didn’t have the full set. I found the gameplay boring as hell, though. It’s effective (well as long as you don’t overextend like I did!) enough but all you end up doing is cursing, summoning a skeletal mage, wait for arcane power to regen, summon another, wash, rinse, repeat. Devour runs as an aura, and you use command skeletons for single-target focus. For me, there was very little sense of action-reaction or cause and effect; what I was doing was herding a bunch of automatons.

Weirdly, I enjoy the pet build on my Witch Doctor, with dogs, fetishes, and the permanent fetish army; I can have up to 20+ minions that way, but I can still cast toads and piranhas and zombie wall so it feels a lot more interactive.

I’m not sure what else is a good build for a Necro given the current game meta, though. I too want to try another one in the season, but I’m not sure if the results will be any better…

So, once I do finish Act V, how do you go about grinding out the levels to get to 70?

Bump up the difficulty for starters. I think you mentioned you were playing on Easy/Normal? Once you get into the swing of things you should really be playing on Master or Expert; Hard if you’re having a tough time getting through. This’ll give you a nice boost to XP. After that, you’ll Adventure Mode when you beat Act 5. This will come with an obelisk in town that you can use to challenge Nephalem Rifts and those are an excellent source of experience.

yeah, Easy/Normal may have been well, too easy. I’ve only died once. I might run the last half of Act V on a harder level.

For some reason, I thought I had to be 70 to run any rifts.

I think that used to be the case but now you can run the normal rifts at any level. Greater Rifts (which you get tokens to run from the normal rifts) are level restricted, though.

Just in case it isn’t clear, you have to go to game settings and switch from Campaign mode to Adventure mode on the left side.

Already? Damn, I thought I had more time until I experienced my first season.

Ok, I guess it’s time to experience what it’s like to try speed through the game in Adventure mode during a season. I haven’t played a Demon Hunter in a long time, since the game launched on PC back in the day. Maybe I’ll try that again.

So is poison damage the best damage dealer in this game, for the most part?

I noticed that when I switched my Witch doctor to poison damage skills, he gets the highest damage numbers, but the catch is that it’s damage over time instead of instantaneous damage. But I’ll be damned if there’s much of a delay. Keeping in mind that my Witch Doctor has no specialized loot that gives bonuses to any skill, it just seems like I can kill Elites a lot faster via poison than I can via Fire or Cold damage skills. Is that true in other classes too?

Theres always a min-max build for each class, each season, based on a set and a couple key items. There’s no generically better damage type, as enemies don’t have particular resistances. Outside of any rune effects, the only difference between Fire, Cold or Poison damage is how much they are boosted by any +% fire/cold/poison damage effects you have on your gear.

Some runes are either generically or in certain instances better than others, but in a perfect world all your damage skills will do the same damage type that you have the highest +% bonus to (virtually all bracers have a +element damage type bonus, some amulets, and then very specific unique items).

Season 11 day! finally, I’ve been jonesing to get started on this.