Diablo Immortal - Stay awhile and pay on your mobile

I’m not sure where you get that the small number of people posting memes or hate videos even remotely covers the number of people who play Diablo or simply know of it and will want to try out a well known IP on mobile. DOA? Hardly.

That said, I expect it to be more popular on the market it was originally aimed at, i.e. the gigantic Chinese market.

I hope they charge twenty dollars and all the monetization is super light.

But you’re probably right.

And yet they get 60K upvotes on Reddit.

If Schreier is anywhere close to accurate, the game was primarily developed for China and only began targeting the west more recently. So I’d be gobsmacked if it wasn’t free to play.

And what’s 60k compared to the Diablo brand audience and mobile gamers, do you think?

You’re a bit early telling Blizzard they might as well not bother in the West.

This one is 3 years old:

Half of those upvotes are just upvoting because someone else has upvoted, the other half, half of those will say they wont buy it, but will buy it anyway, because they never follow through with their “boycotts”., half of the half of the half remaining will probably wait and see and the last half of the half remaining from the half remaining from the half will maybe not buy it until it is on a sale, if at all.

I’m aware of the CoD bullshit. This -

Does not exist on mobile, at least not as an action game. (I would also argue that there are no great games on mobile regardless of genre - but action? You might as well bring the next Doom to mobile.)

You should play The Room and its sequels. They’re the only mobile games I truly enjoyed, best played on a touchscreen.

Development is done. Who’s excited?

I definitely want to try it. I have no particular aversion to mobile games, and the video they showed looked a lot more interesting than I would have expected.

I sense a soul in search of answers.

• OMG so excited guys!!
  • i don’t have a phone

0 voters

(I’m claiming executive privilege here as I feel one of these answers accurately and fully expresses the withering disinterest embodied in the traditional and typically obligatory “shit/bonerz” response.)

Dude, I’ll totally play it. I can whip out my phone and get some Diablo goodness when/wherever? Yeah, why the hell not?

Blizzard would be insane to launch in any Western market before China. They’ll get an inevitable backlash here, so save that until the app is proven to work.

Oh, I think you’re wrong. It will launch in China as F2P with tons of pay2win, and I strongly suspect the announcement backlash will lead them to sell for a flat cost like $9.99 outside Asia, with cosmetic microtransactions only. They could also launch F2P in both territories but double-dog swear they’ll only sell cosmetics in the west.

Either way, they’ll either launch in the west first or simultaneously with Asia.

Just my guess, of course.

For me?

It will almost for sure drain the shit out of your battery.
Diablo without the precision of controller or mouse.
You have to play with your hands taking up half the screen, which seems super unintuitive to me. (At least that’s how other mobile ARPGs felt to me.)
It looks just like Diablo III to me, but with the above concerns.

I don’t know, I mean I may try it if there is a demo or something, but those issues will likely keep me away. I need my phone for actual stuff, I don’t usually play games on it as it is, and this does look like a battery murderer. Do we know if this is free to play? Because that would somehow make it worse, but at the same time I’m not about to drop like $20 on this.

I feel so lonely in that poll

I’m all about not having a phone, but my wife got wind of the game (from me making fun of it, go me) and she wants to play it with me, so I might actually play it if she likes it. But I have so much time invested in D3 I’m already burned out on the experience. This will have to be significantly different to hold my attention.

The backlash no matter what their business model is in the West will make it impossible to determine if the game actually works well and monitizes. Every bit of data will have to be couched with the “of course this could be due to tons of people trying to kill the game by being weird.”

Launch it in China and see if the gameplay loop works. Then you can launch in the West knowing that any issues you see are due to the likely short-lived toxicity of Western gamers.

It will be pay2win in Asia, if they do that it’ll be stillborn in the west.

I think Immortal will be successful in the west because it will spread well beyond Diablo players. There are people who just play the current best game in mobile ARPG, people who play the best current gacha, people who check out featured apps (this game will get that multiple times), casual people who just stumble into high-ranking category apps, etc.