Diablo IV - A Return To Darkness

Blizzard has never made a game that forces people who don’t want to PVP to play unwilling against people who do. There have always been flags you could set or toggles. I find it very unlikely that this will change. It doesn’t make any financial sense for them to do so.

“ What, never?
No, never.
What, never?
Hardly ever.”
… though I’m pretty sure Gilbert and Sullivan didn’t play D1.

Diablo.

Dungeon is a full on PVP zone. No safe guards to save you. I murdered many a fool in Diablo, then I would rez/kill them over and over with a conveniently placed firewall on their corpse. This was before that Boba Fett trainer that just gave you a rez/kill spell. Ahh high school.

They did manage to fix/patch the town kill bloodbath though (but not the duping)

Sure, but you had to let people connect to your server for that. So it was still an opt-in experience. And it was long ago

Cool. Ok yeah, you could play offline, solo, by yourself. Like a total wimp.

As far as online play goes, you were doomed Or: I need help with the Butcher! Please take my TP! (welcome to my murder dungeon ahaha)

I’m not too worked up about the color palette and look of the game because if I recall correctly when D3 was first shown people had strong negative reactions to the palette and Blizzard modified them. So it’s easy enough for them to iterate on that. However, I would like to see the gameplay evolve even if they only take small steps.

Bite me. 😝

I will almost certainly never play D4 with/against another group/party. I don’t think they can make Diablo as friendly as GW2 (non-WvW/PvP) and the last thing I need to do is rely on or compete against anyone else in my leisure time. Fortunately, the split of those zones away from the normal gameplay and the lack of requirement to team up will at least mean I get to do most of the world on my own, even if I do come upon others from time-to-time in the open world areas.

I don’t know. I never played Path of Exile.

I don’t think GD is better than PoE, just different. Both represent different takes on the ARPG formula. Grim Dawn is more reliant on the quests and stories, and extensive if somewhat linear builds. PoE is more about the mechanics and the farming/combining game, and has an extraordinary and complex, mostly non-linear skill tree system. I play PoE hardcore, but will not play GD that way, because IMO GD has a lot more gotchas than PoE.

OTOH I find PoE to be much better looking.

I don’t like how close to the action PoE feels/looks. I haven’t played it in years, did they ever bring that camera out a little bit? I feel like I asked this before…

That wasn’t an option? I also haven’t played it in some time.

Some levels in PoE look great. Some, like the early mud levels, look god awful.

Nope.

I´ve always felt it weird, that in a game where its all about the loot and your character wearing and using that loot, you dont have a character screen where you can see out equipped character.

Isn’t that the character select screen before you go into a game session?

Or the menu screen in a game session, where you can rotate the character around. On console at least.

Great analysis. I would add that PoE has way more builds in each class because of the passives and ways you can tweak skills. GD makes up for that by letting you combine 2 classes. As you said, different approaches, but both work well.

Apologies - I meant in Path of Exile. The character select does not have such. And you can only zoom in a bit and not see your character, like you can in D3