Diablo, Warcraft, Warcraft 2 coming to GOG

Stone curse can be a warrior’s best friend, but you do end up chugging a lot of mana pots when you need to use it. Still, with the ‘runaway vixens and archers’, sometime’s that’s your only good option.

What’s the magic requirement on that?

It’s no joke at 51, but you can reach that with items that give +magic, so you don’t have to spend too much on base stats…

Good god. 51?!?

I guess I should be wearing all +magic equipment instead of +strength equipment eventually.

Last night I did take that room btw, I couldn’t resist it. I took a whole row of health potions and drank them one by one while I was in the room taking down skeleton archers.

My reward? 3 useless Books of Telekinesis. Totally worthless.

You only need to wear it to learn the spell, then you can take it off.

I had my Rogue catch up to the Warrior, both at level 9/10 in the dungeon now.

Since the Rogue hadn’t beaten the Butcher yet, and I finally found a new bow I can use for the first time since the early game, I went back to level 2. I fired at the Butcher repeatedly. He was caught in an endless cycle of getting hit for 4 shots in a row, and he died without reaching me. Wow, that was easy.

Meanwhile level 10 in the dungeon is pretty tough now because I’m getting hit with acid damage at range and fire damage at range. I haven’t run across much equipment that gives me resists yet.

Single player can be really hard, since the shop items don’t change often. If I remember right, in multiplayer LAN, which you can play solo, you get new items loaded when you go to the dungeon, and the dungeon levels repopulate, so you can grind money and exp if you need it. That can really open up possibilities to get important resists and other items. Single player is sometimes just unwinnable, as a roguelike ought to be, but is often not what players actually want to play, as seen in diablo 2 and 3.

I have found in my replay of this game that very careful, one-square moves will allow aggro/pull of just enough enemies to deal with.

I should clarify that I’m having fun with both the characters. The only character that seems unreasonably hard is the Wizard. I know he’ll probably get crazy powerful later, but you really pay for that by being hobbled early on.

Yeah in the old BNet days I would use a rogue to level up fast, get some gold and decent gear, get a friend to hold a game open for me while I transferred some stuff to the fledgling wizard (for example, a staff of mana shield is pretty much gold for a baby wizard) and then off to the races with the wizard. Currently I’m trying to level up a wizard the hard way and it’s a bit of an effort.

Dang, I don’t remember no mana regen for Diablo 1. Ugh. That may be a deal breaker for me trying again although I did always prefer D1 to D2 for some reason. End game Diablo runs on Hell/Hell using a wizard doing Teleport/Stone Curse/Fireball was always a blast. I think by the end I was killing Diablo on Hell level with only 3-6 Fireballs, heh (memory may be failing me, though). Warrior and the runners always frustrated me too much to ever play one.

And yes, any real gameplay was doing multiplayer, even if alone. Do the story once to the end, and then do MP.

https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

Available separately too.

So much nostalgia, so much suspicion that they’d be unplayable by modern standards…

No control groups is super hard to go back to. WC2 has sort of fake control groups but it’s wack.

Since the original Diablo held up so well, much more so than I was expecting, I’m more willing to give older games a shot. But yeah, an old RTS would be a tough one to go back to. I remember trying to go back to Dune 2 after playing Red Alert. Just being able to draw a box around a group of units to select them all, versus having to select each unit to give them orders in Dune 2, ugh. It felt like torture.

Hell. Ashes of the Singularity isn’t a perfect game by any means, but working on it for so long ruined me for a lot of other RTSes. The control flow there is in many ways so much better than StarCraft II or whatever.

WarCraft II…woof. That’s gonna be a tough one. Totally gonna play the hell out of the War3 remaster though.

Hell, I think the lack of a “select idle peasant” button would do me in all by itself.

What in particular? The army reinforcement stuff?

Playing the wizard is an interesting exercise in resource management. Killing stuff takes resources. Either I need to use spells, which cost mana, which means buying mana potions to replenish that. Or I need to use Staves, which have a limited set of charges, and then recharging the staff costs money.

Currently my wizard is on level 5, and only enough money drops from enemies that I can usually recharge one of my staves. I have a healing staff, a fire wall staff and a charged bolt staff. I use all three, then I come back from the dungeon, sell what I found, if anything, and then go recharge the staves. Unfortunately this is cost prohibitive. This worked for a while, but now I’m out of money. So now I get enough money just to recharge one staff, use it go kill stuff, and then come back and recharge the other stuff, with which I’ll hopefully get enough loot to recharge the other staff. And of course, this isn’t really enough to keep me alive, so I juggle everything by switching to my mana-using spells too.

It’s tough.

and somewhat time-consuming I imagine.