Diablo, Warcraft, Warcraft 2 coming to GOG

Yeah, but I mean on the other hand you don’t use any of the heavier armors or weapons, so you can sell those for cash. I don’t remember ever feeling like I was just treading water in the game, though it has been some time I’ll admit.

Yeah, that’s the thing, like UtilityDog said, it’s pretty time consuming. I go down, kill some stuff, I’m out of charges, I come back up. I usually don’t find any loot. With the other two classes, my limitation is the inventory. I collect enough loot, and then come back up to sell it. With the mage, my limitation is either mana or staff charges. I run out pretty fast, and I have to come up, usually before I have anything to sell.

You can also whack them in the head with a blunt object as long as you don’t get hurt too much. Sometimes works out cheaper to use healing potions than mana ones.

Yep yep. That worked well in the first two levels. Unfortunately, I didn’t invest any further into dexterity, so now I just miss with the staff, from level 3 down.

Progress report: It took forever but I finally beat level 5’s monsters. I didn’t find much loot though. Nothing magical on level 5, just some plain swords and bows. The only magical object was a staff, which I sold for about 4000, minus identification. It was enough to bank roll me a full recharge on all 3 staves, and repairs on my equipment, and lots of mana potions. Level 6 is pretty tough so far.

An update on my wizard.

I found a staff with 49 charges of Lightning! So I got rid of my staff with the charges of Charged bolt. I’m now juggling between the Lightning staff, the healing staff, and then my own spells. The game likes throwing creatures that are almost immune to lightning at me now that I’m using Lightning btw. So I have to use my own spells for those guys.

There’s so much juggling of equipment in being a wizard. I’m starting to make money now though. I’m starting to find more blue equipment to sell. I still use that for repairs and recharging staves, but there’s still money left over after that now. My warrior and rogue had huge piles of money that I was dropping in town by this point, but my wizard now has more than 5000, so he has one pile of money.

Almost done with Level 7 and ready to go down to level 8.

Just like the other two characters, btw, I got the Chamber of Bone quest. Unlike the other two, I can actually use the reward, which is the Guardian spell. But I was really disappointed in how ineffective the Guardian spell is at level 1. You lay it down, the little multi-headed dragon pops out of the ground and shoots fireballs at enemy for a couple of seconds, and it’s done. It kills only two or three enemies. Bah. That’s not worth 50 mana.

Maybe if I can level up Guardian it will become useful.

Diablo now with Hellfire! Bought the original? You’ll get Hellfire for free!

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo

Here’s how to unlock the Barbarian in Hellfire:

https://www.gog.com/forum/diablo/play_as_barbarian_with_hellfire

I have not tried it yet.

Since my hard-as-hell-to-play Mage is almost caught up to where my Rogue and Warrior are, I decided to get back to him. When I last left him, he had just gotten the Mana Shield spell down in level 9, so I felt like this would be a turning point for this character. No more need to carry around a healing staff, no more need for tons of healing potions. It’s just all Mana potions now.

Level 9 was great. After I used up the charges in my staff, I got rid of enemies using Lightning from my own character without a staff. When I reached level 10 though, it was crazy hard again. Sigh. They’ve got enemies down there that are firing lightning at me, and of course, they’re almost immune to lightning, even though their description doesn’t say anything like that. They just don’t go down to my lightning no matter how many I throw at them. So the only really powerful spell I have against them is Fire Wall. But you guys know how hard Fire Wall is to arrange properly so that my own character doesn’t die of friendly fire. This is especially true because there’s enemies in that level who are very strong against fire, so I have to somehow change spells and switch back to lightning.

Here’s where the original Diablo’s interface doesn’t make things easy.

Honestly, you guys that thought the Mage was an easy and powerful character were smoking something at the time.

Mage is easy and powerful as a secondary twinked character on Battlenet, showered with high-value found staves and other gears by more senior Bnet characters, and also provided with all the gold in the world to buy as many spell books of Chain Lightning, Fireball, etc. as are available to purchase.

As a self-supporting character in solo play, not so much.

The old formula was rogue it up until you found a good staff of mana shield and some other good crap to fund a newbie mage, then mage it up.

Finished Diablo with Hellfire this morning. Started playing on tuesday. Warrior, ended at level 27 (obtained just after Diablo died). Oldie, but goldie. Hellfire was pretty good. The first part did not fit in much, what with the Alien vibe and Alien Queen at the end, but the second part was great, atmosphere-wise. I still love how atmospheric this game is and how consistently its vision is executed, from music, writing, voice acting to little stuff like text font and UI.
Bit of gameplay from the crypt

Made some good progress with my Monk character last week. Managed to make it to level 6 and the Chamber of Bone.

In some ways I like the sound effects in this game better than any of the sequels. Even the art kind of stands out in 2023 as being really really good. I love their use of the three primary colors of yellow, blue and red throughout the game. I didn’t really appreciate it until this weekend because of the sound effects actually. For example, the enemies that appear and try to sneak up on you, I love the sound effect of them dying sounding like they collapse in a pool of … something. It helps when you see a bright red pool of blood there, or sometimes a bright yellow pool of blood. Other times when the little guys with shields die, you can hear this CLANG as their sword and shield hits the floor. They just don’t make such bold aural choices with their more modern games anymore.

I’ll have to try this out. Apparently a new way to play the original on modern system. It includes controller support!

OMG I CAN INSTALL IT ON MY 3DS.

OMG it’s working on my 3DS. Amaaaazing.

LOL easy there, big fella. Trust me, the shine of being able to play D1 (even with Devilution) wears off really quickly. The Diablo we remember isn’t the one we played in Winter '96. (Kinda like going to D2 Remastered and swapping between the graphics… it’s like “wasn’t this way it always looked…? I guess not…”)

Not to harsh your buzz or anything. Have fun being rogered by Mr. AH FRESH MEAT again

Dude, it’s just super neat that I can DO this. I don’t plan to PLAY a ton of Diablo on the thing.

Yeah, kind of like how I felt when I first booted up a working C=64 emulator on a Cingular 8525, or a DOSBox build on a somewhat later Android tablet :)

Exactly, it’s so neat that these things exist at all.